Mt Dutton archery elk

Dutton........home of the pisscutter!

I have the same tag, my 'helpful' hint is get in shape, have help along for the hunt, and remember to have fun. Lots of elk country and lots of good bulls for those willing to get away from the traffic. Good lulck!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

Coyotechaser-

And don't even THINK about sucking up to get your own free tye dye Dutton T-shirt, you missed the sign up deadline!! Lol

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Get in shape, buy a horse, and get help.

Big stinky bull elk, in early September, are tough to get out before they rot.

Another little tid-bit. The access is very limited. Don't go beyond your means and try to be a hero.

"Get in shape, buy a horse, and get help.

I wonder which title i'm going to have on pro's tye dye excursion, the help or the horse?

I was hoping on being a ridge rider with a Motorola, but maybe he's having me some custom paniards made up x(

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

I have been worried about killing a big one way back in and getting him out before he spoils. How long would you feel you have to get him out if you get the hide off and quarter him up and get him in the shade? 18 hours? 24 hours? 9 hours? Has anyone had success just sitting water holes for that first 2 weeks of the hunt? Do the big stinkys hit water during the day? How often?

ABSOLUTELY they hit water holes during the day.
How often depends on how much water he requires due to the heat.

I HIGHLY recommend that if you find a big bull you wanna kill, find his water hole, sit on it all day long, you'll get your shot i guranatee it.

When ya smack him, get his quarters skinned and cooled off in a creek if there is one near by, get them dry and hang in pine trees in the shade if possible. Do NOT leave them in water though, they will spoil due to all the bacteria in the water.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Great info Slam. I could not agree more! Waterholes are a very effective way on any unit at that time of year! My friends brother killed a bull last year over 380 down there. I also shot my bull on the wasatch over water. Very effective. Scout out a few good bulls and sit em out. They will drink eventually!

As for spoiling meat, get the bull quartered and hung immediately after taking a few quality pictures! Getting the body heat out is critical that time of year. Meat will hang pretty well after the 1st night has chilled them. Good luck to all of you! It should be a great year!

Chad

SS-

Sittin at water holes during the day is so effective it's not even funny, i love it!
I can't count how many bulls i have taken with clients over the years that way, and even if we didn't kill, we've had so much midday activity you don't dare close your eyes for a little power nap!

The drawback is the heat and holding still tyring not swat all the bugs in your face!!

Find a bull ya want, find his waterhole or wallow, pack a lunch for the next day and sharpen your knife the night before :p

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Would you sit in a blind or just sit in some bushes or make your own natural blind? I plan on spot and stalk early morning when they are active, and sit water throughout the day. Might have to take the old PSP to keep me busy.

KTC will loan you his horses.
Slamdunk will get ya a tee shirt
Pro will show you the plethora of 380 bulls.
Just hang out with those 3!

Water holes early in the season, then a little later wallow, then late as possible bugles and wallows.

Take some asprin in case the ticker goes wacko.

You do that you will kill a bull. Stay on it all day!

JMHO

Coyote,

I would highly recommend a treestand. It can not be overstated the noses on those elk. Get above them in a tree and it allows for less scent directly hitting the elk. You will still get winded from time to time, but elk do not look up as much as deer. I sat 14 days am and pm last year for my bull. I passed a number of bulls and had 1 heck of a time truely watching undesturbed elk interact for over 30 minutes at a time. What a rush to be that close to rutting bulls and cows and calves!

A ground blind/Pop up style would also work if you have a spot picked out. Find a watersource the bulls are using and it will pay off. Sitting blinds of any type require a committment to it. When the time comes, you will be rewarded with a gimme shot at calm animals! Good luck! I am excited for ya! Be sure to post us some pic's!

coyote,

I wish I had an answer on the spoilage? Getting them skinned and hung will buy some time for sure. That is a big draw back to those rut hunts, it is hot and time is critical. I would guess if you got him skinned and hung, then had help to get him out the following day, then into a cooler you will be fine?

I have seen people in areas on Dutton, on foot, that just makes me wonder? For their sake I hope they don't kill anything.

On a better note, I think you have a great tag with great potential. No slam dunks (like pro thinks! Ha!) but a tag you can put a smoker on the wall with! Don't let this internet chatter give you false impressions, go scout and set a goal.

Good luck!

Elk decoys,
I would go buy a couple and have a couple guys that can cow call real well set up behind you about 30 yards or so if the elk are getting good and vocal.Give it a try it just might surprise you how well they can work once they see the cow decoy with cow sounds those bulls will close that distance you may need for a real close shot.We used them on my muzzy hunt and they do work.

I watched WARBIRDUM and the decoys. Pretty amazing how those bulls would come into a piece of fabric. Kind of fun to watch.

4822b1fb46318667.jpg

This is the bull Silent Stalker is talking about. Let me tell you from first hand experience, sitting on water can be very difficult, both mentally and physically. But as you can see...well worth it. This is my kid brother's bull. He shot it in the early afternoon over water on the Dutton. We carried out a quarter and the head/cape then returned the next day for the rest. A bear had already gotten to it. When on the Dutton you can't forget the bears.

Thats a good looking bull. That looks like some thick country!! What did he score? How long into the hunt were you? The wait is killing me, I dont know how you guys waited for so long for the hunt to get here, I feel like I am an 8 year old waiting for Christmas! I have a feeling it will only get worse! The good thing about drawing a good tag is you can then justify to the wife all the new equipment you need, a new bow, a blind, some more calls to add to the 15 I already have, a decoy and some trail cameras. The list can and will get long!!

LAST EDITED ON May-08-08 AT 07:00PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-08-08 AT 07:00?PM (MST)

380 and some change. Thickest, nastiest country I have ever hunted. He shot him on the second to the last day. Get into shape. When you are in the best shape of you life, get into better shape. That mountain is a butt kicker. Good luck.

Looks like you guys were hunting the north face of some very nasty thick stuff.Bet you didnt see many hunters where you guys were at cant tell from the picture but was it real steep sometimes pictures dont tell the degree of angle.
Two days left that makes a dutton hunter very nervous and the panic mode starts setting in thats great when all the hard work pays off.Nice bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom