MT Question

BGHUNTER00

I'm heading to the Bozeman area, unit 320, to tag along with a friend of mine that lives out there for a week to accompany him on his elk hunt. He told me that I could carry a rifle and hunt predators without a license of any kind....is this accuate? I don't want to end up getting a violation (ticket) if this is not true. If it is true what exactly qualifies as a "predator" in MT. We are hunting Nov 9-17, what are the odds of seeng a bear or wolf, which I think I can purchase a tag OTC for. Thanks for the help.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-23-09 AT 09:48AM (MST)[p]Can't buy a fall bear tag after Aug 31. Montana statute classifies predators as coyote, weasel, (striped) skunk, and civet cat (spotted skunk). Predator shooting is not regulated by federal or state law or regulation. Predators can be shot in Montana year-round without a license by both resident and nonresident hunters. A Conservation License, or a state school trust lands recreational use license, is required to shoot predators on state school trust lands. Permission must be obtained to shoot predators on private land.

Nonresidents are required to purchase a Nonresident Trapping License to take nongame or predatory species using traps and/or snares. See 2008 Furbearer Trapping and Hunting regulations ( 2.6 MB) for more information about take of furbearers and predatory species.

ALSO:

There are a number of species found in Montana that are classified by Montana statute as nongame wildlife, some are shot for sport while others are shot for consumption. Examples of these species include raccoon, red fox, hares, marmots, tree squirrels, ground squirrels and prairie dogs. There are currently no regulations restricting the shooting of nongame species.

Shooting of any animals on private land requires landowner permission. Shooting of animals on public land may require land management agency permits or fees.

Prairie dogs and other nongame species are protected on many national wildlife refuges. Check with each refuge before shooting on refuge lands.

Wayne

As of this year, you CAN buy a bear tag after the season has begun, just have to wait five days before it is valid. Impossible to say whether or not you'll run into wolves or bears, but the possibility is there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom