Mud Magic!

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
I have been experimenting with a bunch of old whites, and the mud in my backyard blows WAM out of the water. I have done several sheds in the last couple weeks and I can't believe how well they turn out using just mud. Don't waste your money trying to restore old whites, USE MUD!

Check it out:

6351elk_shed.jpg

8518elk_shed_3.jpg

3187elk_shed_2.jpg

3294elk_shed_4.jpg

4013elk_shed_5.jpg

3278elk_shed_6.jpg

Man! I guess I should start selling bags of dirt :)

-Sand the rough spots down and smooth it out.
-Cover it in mud and let it sit for a day or two.
-Brush all the mud off with a stiff brush.
-Lightly sand the high spots for the grainy look.
-Wipe down the antler with a cloth.
-Apply linseed oil or Old English oil and rub it in good.

That's it! It's free and works better than anything I have ever used. No stain, paint, WAM, or other crap. Just plain old mud.

Works everytime!

It was probably 3 maybe 4 years old when found. It had some pretty big cracks on the back side. The nice thing is when you are sanding it down, all the bone dust fills in the cracks and then you can just run your finger with some water over them to seal them. Works pretty well. I have noticed on the really old antlers that have turned pink, that the mud does not take over the pink color. It doesn't look as good on the really old ones.

ya got to put some bleach on the pink ones or even ones that have dark spots from dirt on them. try and get the antler all white before you put mud or wam or even stain on them. works a lot better. if the back side has some color still i usually leave that because it still looks good but otherwise bleach it out
deer-81
fresh-13
sets-3
elk-22
fresh-7
sets-3

LAST EDITED ON May-06-12 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Looks great.
Never thought of using just mud, guess I should start bag-in my yard up and selling it, might be able to sell hmmmm maybe about a few thousand bags. Thanks for the idea and great tip. JK, I just don't appreciate the fact you have to point WAM out on this fact. Like I said above looks great, but at the same time come on man WAM sells itself after many years and if someone wants to buy our kit then that's what it is, but I ask you simply this, please don't point a loaded gun at WAM nor anything/anyone else in my opinion. If you got something that works (which it does)then go ahead and show it off but that is not cool to point out some body else or any one else. After all it is what it is.

I was just pointing out that WAM is dirt. So I guess if they can sell dirt in a bag, they can consider themselves master salesmen.

I personally do not like WAM and I'm not sure where the $40-50 price tag comes from either. It's a 2 cent ziplock bag filled with dirt. There isn't even a box or prfessional packaging for the product. The dirt is too light and grainy as well. This is my review of the product, not WAMs business in general. I'm sure they are great people trying to make a living and probably doing a great job at it. No disrespect to the business whatsoever, I just don't like the product.

Thats your opinion, but there is A LOT more to than your review states. I am sorry you feel this way, but at the same time thousands of people like it and that is great. I appreciate the no disrespect on your part above, but at the same time non from us either.

Thanks, Wes

Dang that worked good. To bad I live in las vegas we dont get mud like that lol. Good work

As far as the whole WAM thing. I never used it or ever heard of it but I think the guy can post an opinion on a product. Sorry thats part of business. It happens to every business and everyone has an opinion. Nothing wrong with putting it out there

Those sheds came out great.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

On the WAM,

I would only add the following:

I have used it with great success. I also feel it is just a bag of dirt in a ziploc bag, but it did great for me.

Part of the trick is finding the correct color of dirt to stain'em the way you want.

Here's a pic of one using WAM. You decide!

Before:
9103001.jpg

After:
4313043.jpg

3041045.jpg

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

PS

HJB - Yours turned out awesome! I'm going to come and steal some of your dirt. You owe me :)

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

LAST EDITED ON May-10-12 AT 09:08AM (MST)[p]It works for sure, but it also costs $40-50. It's a little light colored for the Northern Utah antlers I pick up. The antlers up here tend to be a littler darker in color.

It seemed a little dry and grainy as well. The thick black mud I use makes a better mud in my opinion. It also requires less time to soak in. I was applying several coats of WAM and leavig it for days and it didn't get colored very well with all that time and work. The black mud works in 24 hours and only takes one application. I will post some other stuff I have done, as well as my antlers with WAM.

No doubt WAM will work, but when you pay $50 you kind of expect that there is more than just dirt in a the bag. I though there would be some "Magic" involved

WAM comes in different color choices light, medium and dark also has the red, black and coming out at antler fest gray. Every antler I have done came out a different color using same batch of WAM and that is only applying one coat. As far as time as soon as it dries it is ready to take off. If its hot it can dry in as little as 15 min. If not blow drying works good. I can complete an antler in 30 min from start to finish. Plus the kits are not the full price of $50.00 we also have to ship them, package, label, time in the make and getting material, overhead costs of supplies in the make and boxing. Just pretty much normal business costs. Also its not just dirt/ mud.Any way great job on all picks they all look great, WAM isnt perfect but try and copy mother nature.

You guys buy bottled water don't ya. Its just water. You can get it from your tap. But you pay someboy that puts it in a plastic bottle. WAM fill a void for some, and those are willing to pay for it and are happy with it.

Yelum

Great point but not really the same, unless you have your own well city water has lots of stuff added to it. Dirt is just dirt. I would guess most don't know its just dirt. Man I wish I was smart enough to sell dirt for $50. Yes there is over head but come on 2000% mark up. No disrespect but come on don't blow smoke up our butt about mark up on dirt. You are for sure a smart man making money from selling dirt.

Before and after mud magic. Turned out pretty dang good. Now what to do with the skull..??

2012-04-08_10-33-30_216-1.jpg

2012-06-11_12-23-17_123.jpg

2012-06-11_12-23-37_145.jpg

>Before and after mud magic. Turned
>out pretty dang good. Now
>what to do with the
>skull..??

Nice!!!!!

Bleach out the skull and you will have a sweet trophy!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom