Very Active Member
I got a few 290 grainers,
and a slew of 348 grainers.

Will the later, and heavier,
serve me well ??

I need advise on this.

I'll get more 290's if needed.

Cant decide

We have taken 5 bulls with 348 Powerbelts with no problems.Some don't like them but don,t push them to fast and they will do the job.either the hollow point or areo tip ,they both work for us.we use the same bullet for Michigan whitetail.

I've taken a mule deer at 100 yards and my largest bull ever with a 348gr. powerbelts in front of 100gr pyrodex. The 348gr bullets performed great, put both down with one shot. Depending on the velocity and distance they might not even exit.

Good luck.

In general, I think heavier is better. I personally have lost 2 elk using powerbelts and have friends with similar results. I only use 90 gr. of powder so we weren't pushing them too hard. I prefer an all lead bullet like the TC Maxiballs but they obviously have to shoot well with your gun. I've always had the maxiballs show up on the far side of the hide so full penetration. If you read many posts, you'll find lots of people have had problems with powerbelts. Not that they can't work but they often don't perform as well as other bullets and they are more pricey to boot!

A few years ago txhunter turned me onto Thor bullets. Awesome bullet, might want to check them out. I will be using them again in Colorado this year.

Killed a bull in 61 last year, glad I took the advice of most on this site. I use the 270gr platinum power belt for deer here in Iowa and they work great, but they do flatten out and break up. Many on the muzz. forum suggested thor so I went with the 300 grain. Smacked that bull right in the t-bone of the shoulder blade, bullet opened perfectly, broke that shoulder and lodged just under the skin behind the off shoulder. Bull staggered 20 yards and collapsed. I don't think a power belt would have done that and glad I didn't have to find out. I'm sure many people have had good luck with power belts, but after my experience with them on deer I just wanted a tougher bullet for elk.

465 grain "no excuses" are a pure poison on elk. Killed my bull at 287 yards with this bullet and my friend killed his at 200 yards with the same.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom