Muzzleloader Bullets

R

rackman

I have a Muzzy Elk hunt coming up in October and need everyone's opinion on bullets!! I shoot a 50 cal inline and have been using the Powerbelt Platinum's and like them, but i'm not sure if they would be good for elk. The last deer I shot with them didn't seem to get the penetration that I thought it would. I'm just worried about using the platinum's on this hunt and wounding an animal... I don't want that! I may be being paranoid but just want to get your opinion on a good bullet. Any feedback would be appreciated!!!

You might pull up a search in the muzzleloader forum.

But a quick hint are the barnes 250-290's, I like the EZ load myself. Plop this over 110-120f BH209 and a Remington sts primer and you have elk medicine.

600 Grain POWER PUNCH with 90 Grains of 3fff Black Nasty!

The Slug Ain't legal in Colorado though!

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

+1 for Barnes 290 EZ. A lot more consistent in my gun then the power belt. Also something to think about. The power belts are only copper plated making the bullet fragment during impact. Less knockdown more shrapnel.

Barns Spit Fire TMZ 290 grain with 150 Grains of triple 7 pellets shoots great out of my gun and that is the load that I am shooting for elk this year.

>Check out "No Excuses" They are
>all I will shoot out
>of my muzzle loader!!

NO EXCUSES Ain't bad!

But they're only 535 Grains!:D

Founder just Banned My Signature!
Hang in there!
I'm working on another one!:D

Another vote for the barnes. I shoot the 245's over 110-120 grains of blackhorn 209 and shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards.

Thanks everyone for your input on the bullets. It looks like a lot of you like the barnes! I am going to check them out, and sure I will end up purchasing some.

I love the Barnes. They come with standard or EZ sabots - get the ones that fit nice and snug in your barrel. If possible look up or measure your bore diameter and only go with the EZ if you're under .501 or so (or if you can't load the standard TMZ after swabbing). If you like shooting pistol bullets and buying bulk sabots I would look at the Speer Deep Curls in .45/300 grain or .44/270 grain. These are bonded and will hold together well on an elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom