Muzzy, huting Colorado

ELKMASTER101

Very Active Member
Just curious, how many of you guys put in for Colorado muzzelloading this year.
and have you hunted the first season before.
last year I didn't make the cut, This year bigtine
and I are planing to hunt together in the upper colorado section,
and if I don't get picked and he does, I'll tag along carying my bow with a over the counter tag.
It will be the first time in a number of years that I won't be pulling horses out,
hopen the rains freshen up the mountian parks,
countin down the days. 147 +-
keep you muzzy clean and power dry

You should get picked with 1 preference point if it is a statewide unit. Everyone has the last few years. My first choice is an early high country rifle hunt (Sept. wilderness hunt) but will probably pick up a cow muzzleloading tag if we don't get drawn for the deer hunt. Can't beat the meat or the price.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I just got my first muzzleloader (Omega laminated stock, 50 cal) and put in for my first time ever muzzleloader tag in middle/upper Colorado. And I am planning on working hard (and smart) for a nice big muley for the wall this year.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-03 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]I realy hate to do this but last year while elk hunting W/ bow i came across a muley on the top of this mountain peak. When he first stood up i thought it was an elk.
his rack stood 3 feet above his head, and had 8 pionts on each side,
he was standing behind some pines and all i could see was his front shoulder and rack coming back and up, and his body size was huge..
he was in the black timber and for a second i thought it was an elk.
he was only 30 or so yards away and slightly down from me,
then he turned and looked straight in my direction,
I gasped, damm that is the largest muley i have ever seen,
kickers and drops and piont every where,
we stood for posibaly 2 to 3 min. stairing at one another and eventualy he moved down over the drop and disapeared in the the dark cold timber,
I stayed put hoping for an elk to do the same thing later on in the evening but no such luck.
that evening, back at camp i told a couple guyes of my spotting the said no way, muleys do have more than 4 main points per side,
I told them they were full of crap, I know what i saw and if I wasn't such a honest hunter i would have been tempeted.
I'm headed back to the same mountain this fall with muzy. and hoppen to drop a huge bull,
the last day of the hunt last year, I had 15 bulls chasing a group of 50 ar so cows, and 10 of these bulls were 6 points and a couple better, they were screaming in all directions, cuting the logging roads past me in silver flashes. but to glass 15 standing in one bunch no more than 150 yards standing in short scrub oak with athe sun lighting up their hides and racks like wild fire early in the morning as the sun was first comiing up, made my hair stand on end.
The rest of the story takes about 2 hours and a couple cold beers.
This year I taking a film crew along and going to see what we can do.
Heck i would like to have my hunting budy, bigtines score on one of those big boys, he's do.
and i think i going to check on that big old muley, and see if we can get a little camera action with him in there,
He lives where no man treads,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom