MZ ?s

bpnclark

So no scopes on a muzzleloader, with a muzzleloader only tag; but its okay to use a scope on a muzzleloader with an Any Legal Weapon tag?

And the regs list ?Only black powder or a black powder substitute such as Pyrodex or Triple 7 may be used as a propellant? but they left out Blackhorn 209. Is BH209 illegal?

Thanks

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand the regs...

Yes, scoped Muzz's are fine in a centerfire rifle hunt.

BH209 is another brand of black powder sub so it's fine.

BH 209 is not allowed...they banned it a couple years ago. I was told they banned it because it was a smokeless powder and could not be cleaned with water.

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

Ok thanks, that's news to me. Anyway they have it wrong...or maybe I shouldn't have used a bucket of soapy water last weekend to clean my Knight. :)

BH209 is not legal in NV. It may be labeled a BP substitute but is also smokeless, making in NOT legal in NV.

Legal or not in NV, the Explosives Bureau, U.S D.O.T., and Canadian Energy Research Laboratories have determined the classification of Blackhorn 209 to be US/UN PROPELLANT, SOLID, UN0499.
Smokeless Powders are classified as POWDER,SMOKELESS, UN0161.

Like I said above, the NDOW got this one wrong.

The reality of this is...the only advantage BH209 gives a muzzleloading hunter is that the stuff is less corrosive than other BP subs.

209 not legal in Nv. They sent out a letter to all MZ tag holders in 2011 to explain it.

I still have my copy.

You just said it yourself....SMOKELESS. That is what makes in not legal in NV according to NDOW. They may have it wrong, but they are making the rules.
Write them and tell them how you feel about it, im sure you won't be the only one who has written to them. I would love to be able to use it, and i totally agree with you that it holds only one advantage, cleanup. But for now it is not legal in NV, wether you think they got it wrong or not.

I would love to see the NRS on BH209 being illegal. Does any one have it? I know they sent a letter to tag holders in 2011 but not in 2012.

NVHunter, I don't believe you understand what Greatbasin has said above.

Blackhorn 209 has been classified as a US/UN PROPELLANT, SOLID, UN0499.

Smokeless Powders are a separate classified, specifically as POWDER,SMOKELESS, UN0161.

There is a difference. I really truly believe that if they want to ban BH209 they need to come right out and write it in the regulations. As it sits right now they leave a lot of room for interpretation. I would be curious to see what the results would be if they issued a ticket and were taken to court over this matter.

Your right i did misread what GB was trying to say. I see your point and like i said would love to use it. I guess maybe it's time to find out from the local GW. It also didn't occur to me that they never sent that letter in 2012.

Thanks guys. I just started to shoot BH209 in my Omega. I've shot Pryodex for years but my Omega seems to like the BH209 a little better with hotter loads. So I guess its back to 95grns of Pryodex.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom