navajo nation elk

S

stinkystomper

I will be hunting the navajo rez this year with my wife and it seems I am not allowed to scout on there without an indian tagging along. I'm really hoping to be able to just get out and do some hard scouting on the boundaries with my wife and father just to enjoy seeing elk over the summer and early fall. Do any of you have any suggestions on where there might be such an area to spot some good bulls from?

Thanks in advance
Tony

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Stinky what general area are you hunting? Is it the entire res or part of it? Don't really know anything about it, but I am sure you will learn it!

Travis

Try at the top of the hill on Hwy 64 between Cameron and the Grand Canyon along the rez border. You could also also go along the fenceline between AZ unit 9 and the rez.

Seems you could just get a Navajo hiking/camping/backcountry permit.
http://www.navajonationparks.org/permits.htm

View my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
WetlandsWinterSignature.jpg

Nice! that helps a bunch. thanks for the link
Tony

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

So any residents of the Rez on here that will tag along with ya.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-10 AT 06:56AM (MST)[p]Jason is my guide. Your about the millionth person who's highly recommended that guy. I haven't heard anything negative about him and he sounds like a really good guy. Thanks for the recomendation. I haven't heard very much good about any other guides on the navajo so any good news on the guy I'm looking to hire is appreciated.

Gator, why don't you tag along????? Its gonna be a blast.

Gator can't go, he isn't a native American :) :)

I on the other hand am a card carrying Choctaw!

Wonder if my brothers would let me go, you know professional courtesy?

I did have a deer tag years ago and went with a friend who had a deer and elk tag. He won them in a raffle! We saw elk on the rez/Grand Canyon Park border every day. They hit that fence at daylight every day too. Smart elk.

Don Martin

478" Bull on the cover of Christensen's hunting Illistrated from last year off the res... in velvet, shot in aug...

last year stinky said he was not a rich man and sold a quad to help pay for the hunt/ tag in Utah.
This year did you sell the house??? Hunt on the res must be big bucks???
hope she shoots a big elk.

Nope. qtpie got her tag for 7 grand. Then I took her truck and sold it and bought the other tag. lol. So far I've spent only half of what I did in Utah last year. I originally had no plans of hunting but the wife changed my mind. Talk about a stroke of luck. Who else has a wife that begs you to sale your soul so you can go hunting???

check out this video. 2 minutes and 50 seconds into this video J's hunter passes this bull up last year. It looks to me like a possible high 360 bull with 60 inch beams. I'm thinking with proper growth this year that he might be an absolute monster. Regardless I'm excited to finally get to hunt a true rut hunt and watch my wife shoot a bull.

I could care less if I get a bull. I just wanna go huntin with my wife and possibly some friends. Anyone up for campin and huntin the rez this fall? Gator, where'd ya go. We've never met and I'd love to swap lies over a camp fire. BTW I'm hauling up my fifth wheel and it has 2 xtra queen beds for anyone wanting to get away for a week.

Yes your suppose to be immediate family but I will pass anyone off as step brothers and step sisters lol! I already asked a lawyer and he said I'd be good.

Jason knows the res. as well as any guide there. He will make sure you're into the bulls, and big ones.

I killed an archery bull there in 2002, on a really bad drought yr.. It was an extremely tough hunt. However, I killed a nice 310" bull the last day and was happy. I spent gobs of time there. I did see three other bulls that were bigger. One was quite a bit BIGGER. I think times have changed and are in your favor..... good luck. I am jealous.

I'm a native American I was born here in the USA, just of Norwegian descent.
What the Dates, If I don't draw NM or UT I will be huntless this year.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

So glad to hear that you will be hunting with Jason, he is not only a GREAT guide/hunter but he is a good man to share time with. Enjoy your hunt...I too am jealous. Maybe next year for me.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-10 AT 08:19PM (MST)[p]Funny about your name. I think we had a conversation about you. I specifically asked him if he would have a gun claw on a tripod I could use. He said he was good friends with the people who make them and that he definitely would. The mossback guides i talked with last year had one and I was curious to see if my mcmillan 50 BMG would fit in one and to my surprise if fit like a glove. The problem is that the gun is to heavy for shooting sticks and a tripod is needed to steady that beast. I'm stoked to finally get to hunt with my 50 BMG.

Gator, the hunt will be the last week in september or first week in october depending on when the bulls decide to start singing the loudest. Other than that its gonna be a weekend by weekend basis. I'm gonna try to slip down every single day I can brake away from work. If your close and wanna go jack around on a weekend I'll swing by somewhere and pick you up and we can go kill ourselves anytime you want after september 1st(season dates are september 1st - october 15th and january 1st - february 15th). This sucks right now. I can't sleep at night and again have ordered every new hunting video that has been released. I think I need counseling, this darned hunting is going to drive me to an early grave lol.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom