Need a Video Camera - which one?

xitnet

Wanted to start videoing some hunts and would like to have some good equipment. It will also double for some training tapes I would like to make. Bought the Adobe Premiere CS3 editing software. My wife is a teacher and got a good deal on it.

My budget for a camera and equipment is $4,000. Since I don't have any experience with video equipment, need some advice. Don?t want to screw up and get the wrong stuff. Know there will be a huge learning curve, but that's half the fun.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on a what you are wanting to do. The Canon GL2 is a great small camera. The XL1S is a larger camera but can have an extender placed between the body and lens. I have owned both of these and they were great. I currently use a Canon XH-A1. It is a combo of both the XL1S and GL2. It is HD or can be switched to normal format. I love this camera! Not to big, not to little. Can easily add shotgun mic or wireless mics. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those I have mentioned. I know there are other great cameras on the market but these are the three I have used the most.

Thanks Littlejoe,
Went and looked up the XH-A1 and it has some great reviews. Went to B&H Photo on the web and it looks like it's in my price range. One question?.If you record in HD and then download to SD, is the picture quality better than standard SD?
Thank you!

From what I have experienced, when recording in HD then watching on a normal tv, it is not crisp. When recording in HD and watching on an HD TV it is amazing. When recording in normal and then watching in normal it is great as well. When recording in normal and then watching on HD it is not crisp.

I have purchased items from B&H and had no problems. I have purchased all my cameras and digital camera from Kelvin Pickett at Performance Audio Video in SLC. His service and maintenance have been great. He films hunts as well and is a good person to get help and info from.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom