Need advise...job offer!

Muleys24Seven

Hey guys I need some help deciding on whether or not to accept a new job offer. I figured many of you are as passionate about spending time outdoors and hunting as I am and could provide some good perspective.

The new job would pay 20% more with more growth opportinites but would be very busy in Sept and 1st half of Oct. That would limit weekend hunting trips and pretty much eliminate personal time-off opportunites during that period. I could still get some hunting in early bow Nevada and late Oct/Nov hunts.

The current job is much more flexible in the fall (20 vdays + weekends) and I also have the chance to take off early for evening scouting/hiking trips. The downside is the pay and limited growth opportunites.

Both have there sacrifices and I have a hard time putting a price tag on my time outdoors. What would you do?

Make the money well you can, you will find a way to work in the other stuff.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

No one else knows your situation as well as you so I don't think any of us are qualified to give you good advice.

I will say this much, there have been times I let hunting get in the way of career and schooling only to regret it later.
There are also times I've let work get in the way of hunting only to regret that later as well.

danged if you do, danged if you don't.

I've always said I'd rather make less money and enjoy what I do and be able to still enjoy the fun things in life rather than make more money and sacrifice the fun.

Just as deadi has, I too have let work get in the way of hunting only to regret it later.

With a 20% increase in income, And you can only hunt a bit less THIS YEAR.... Suck it up and think of your future and your family!

You say 20% more money, with growth opportunites but neglect to advise about location, housing, cost of living, travel, etc. What about family and future, schooling, and such? If it is a true 20% overall and you don't take it you will look back and regret it in the future. There are always hunting options and seasons you can make work.

The way hunting seasons are now days, you can hunt almost year around in different states if you play your cards right. The job market is a different story. Unemployment is high, and the economy is crappy, not to mention my 401K. If it were me I would jump on the 20% + growth. Hunting when your 70 sounds fun, working when your 70 sounds not so fun!

Not that I'd know anything about your situation, but long term success, it seems, generally comes from making good short term decisions. So.............if your long term goals are to have a life something like Jim Shocky or Doyle Moss it seems you'd want to make the choice that moves you closer to that kind of longer term outcome, however if your long term plan is not a hunting/outdoor career then a 20% increase in income might fit your saddle better.

In a nut shell, I'd choice the job that moves me along my long term life style direction, only you and maybe your family (if your married) can know which choice is best for you this year and the years to come, that will come so very quickly.

Then once you've made your choice, give it hell, no value in looking back and lamenting the forks in the road you've encountered. Once you make a choice the only thing to worry about is your next one. Wishing we'd made a different choice after the fact only makes you miserable.

Choice wisely and be grateful you have two opportunities. Ain't life great when you got choices!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-10 AT 10:58PM (MST)[p] "Once upon a time..........."

I NEVER applied myself to any great career type job. I quit some GREAT ones, when I felt like going hunting, fishing.....whatever was fun.

I did not use my college education as I could have. I have been a disabled Vet for 43 years, and simply did not plan to live this long.....nor did I care one way or the other.

My father died at 52 and his medical bills ate up every dime he ever made.

I didn't have kids, so it was just about me and the wife(s).

Now I am 63 years old, no retirement, no REAL savings, and not nearly as much disposable income as my retired friends and relatives.

A little misunderstanding with the IRS in the late 80's, that cost me about $30k.......so, I am essentially broke and unable to afford the things I would like to do, in my "Golden Years".

I am physically beat up and have only VA healthcare.

I still pretty much do whatever I want, it could just be easier with a little more career planning. I do have lots of toys, however.

The upside is, I had a great time when I was young, healthy and handsome. I have had a lot of friends that worked hard all their lives....... and died at 50. I have some SERIOUSLY fantastic memories.

At this point in my life I consider myself stupid, regarding my financial planning. But who knew? Life is hard to plan or predict.

Don't take this as a whine, snivvel or regret.....I made my own choices, blame no one but myself and don't regret anything in my life.....(except my second wife inherited millions and I KNEW she was going to...but it just wasn't worth it at the time).

You have to gamble some and lose once in awhile, if you don't, winning isn't all that special.

Good jobs are getting harder to come by. If you look around there are plenty of hunting oppertunities in November and some in December. Weigh the plus and minuses of each and then trust your gut. Like has been mentioned above once you make your decision give it 100% and don't look back, Good luck.

Not enough personal info.

Age? Married? Kids? Own a house? Accumulated bills to pay? Living well with current salary or always scrapping to keep up? Saving for the future with current salary? Present job probable to be long term (same question for the other job)? Benefits for either job better than the other?

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Excellent advise Nickman! make the decision based on the Mayan calendar!! LOL

Dude! Take the job!

I doubt anyone on here is qualified to make the decision. Too
many variables... I have said it before: This is one of the last places to seek financial, career, or marital advice.

There are a lot of great people on here, however.

I think you and your family will make the best decision....

Without all the data, I would say stay where you are. After struggling 12 years on/off to complete college, I spent the next 8 years catching up on $. I then renewed my love of hunting by going all in on nearly all states since 2006. I get more and more tags each year and enjoy it 100%! I have been able to get ample time to pursue this pursuit, althoug I could undoubtedly provide more money. Opposite of others, I feel that working into my 70's will be easily doable, hicking/hunting at 11000' at 70+...not so much!

Assuming you have a family, make the decision based on what is best for everyone. Unless your family is happy and propserous, the rest does not really matter. I suspect you already know what the right choice is. I love the outdoors and hunt as much as any person with a full time job can but when it comes to career and family decisions it is not a top three consideration - maybe later in life it will make it to number two or three.

At 43 years old, I have many friends that put off their hunting dreams for assorted reasons. They now want to "get in the game". Between lack of points and health and/or fitness issues the window is closed or closing. One thing that can never be replaced is time.

Take the money and run. Go to Africa, New Zealand, spring bear and other hunts. I have given up many hunts because of work but I have also gone on some really nice above average cost hunts. Take the money and don't look back. Plan your hunting trips years in advance and make them happen. I have very limited vacation time becuase of the demands of the job but make it worthwhile when I am gone. Yes, my family does pay the price in regards to how much time I am at work but we have a nice house, vehicles, etc. Trade offs, trade offs, trade offs but I will always take the money but that is just me.

Thanks all for the feedback, I appreciate it!

The advise from my wife and close family is defintely the most important. My only child, a little girl, only knows one word "more" so I'm not sure how to interpret that advise. I'm 30 and finacially been pretty fortunate and do fine with our current income (my wife's an engineer)...although you can always use or save more money.

I'm sure I could find alternative hunting opportunites but I truely enjoy driving the hour and hunting E Idaho and W Wyoming. Just wanted to get a different perspective from you guys. I must admit I'm suprised by the majority response to take the job.

Keep them coming...I have until tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again.

TAKE THE JOB!!!

There are ALWAYS more hunting opportunities out there to be had when you have a little extra cash!

Good jobs however...are NOT that easy to come by in this economy!! If you think the job is good and safe and long term...IMO....TAKE THE JOB!!!

Well, the bottom line is that your family comes first - so you do whatever is best for the family. If that means taking the job, you do it. There are a lot of us right now that would say it is a no-brainer for sure, slam dunk, take the money and run. If that is the best thing for your family, then don't hesitate. I wouldn't base my decision on anything other than that really when it coms right down to it.

Good luck.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I'm a young (32) married guy like you. Both my wife and I make ok money. We could make a lot more as we have advanced degrees and plenty of experience, but we found we value our free time more than a larger salary. I like the flexibility to go on one or two DIY hunts every year, without worrying about planning the logistics around a work scedule or being so stressed about being gone from the office or coming back to a pile or work when I return to the office. Also, I much prefer the idea of being able to hunt when I'm young and physically able to do so. You never know what health problems will arise later in life.

To me it sounds like maybe you dont really need the extra money. Sure, its always nice to have more, but at what personal expense. I see way too many people trying to "keep up with the Jones", and sacrificing what really matters in life.

Your lucky to have "job choices".. Many people do not and a whole bunch more do not even have a job.

Life can change so quickly.. Trust me on that one.

If your basing a new job on hunting in in the early fall than I think you really should take a hard look at your priorities if your more concerned about "your personal time off"..

I hate it when I wake up in the morning and Barack Obama is President.

I usually in the take the money line. HOWEVER, just remember in this job market that the last guy hired is usually the first guy laid off. I had to take the hit last year and lost most of the deer hunt. I was heart broken. new story this year. This is another one of those subjects that you should post your age(36). The older vet who responded I think had the best post. Work doesn't get any easier in your 60's. Your dad, and especially your grandpa would never have thought about taking less to spend more time hunting. This is a idea that the younger generation has had, but they have never seen hard times. As we sit in this recession and walk the line of depression it will be interesting to see if the kids just coming out of school and into unemployment will think differently when they are in their 30's and 40's. If you got laid off next week, wouldn't that 20% increased salary sitting in the bank or paid on your house make life easier than not having it but a good couple of trips? If your in your 20's or if its just you or you and a wife you can live a little on the edge, in my opinion once that kid comes you do everything to protect that kids stability, they deserve to live carefree and that only comes if they are stable. If mom and dad are broke, bankrupt, etc, it adds a lot of stress to kids that should not be there. So I guess I am still in the take the job camp. GOOD LUCK MAN, isn't being an adult fun!!!

I say take the job. Still plenty of time to hunt.

I think I have to agree with many things that Nickman said. Retirement is a thing of the past unless you are on the public teet pension fund. For us private sector guys, wallstreet will rape your 401k and the market is unstable. Look out for a double dip recession. If a second occurs, we are screwed. Nothing left for Obama to mortgage.

I used to be one of the guys busting my hump to make a good nest for my later years. However, I have been through so much in this past year that I think I am going to fall into the "live for today" category. So far in the past year, father died at 53 with cancer, father in law died at 57, got laid off, nearly lost everything, forced to move cross country and I am 32. Wife makes ok money so my little one isn't gong to starve.

I have to wonder if it's worth delaying gratification these days with the way things are going in the world. Nothing has changed with our economic situtation other than some tweeking with the dollar and morgaging our futures.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom