Nevada area 101 - 108 Early

3blade

Very Active Member
I drew this area as a last choice for archery mule deer. I realize I am going to have to pack in and I was thinking down on the southern end by Green Mtn in 102 or in the north up by Secret Pass going south. I know a lot of guys like the East Humbolts area 101. I hear 103 is full of small bucks and very few big ones, don't know if thats true or not?

Any way, does any one have any feedback on any of my ideas or could give me a little better details on a good starting point? Not looking for anyones honey hole, just an idea of where to start. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

103 has some good bucks.That hole unit has good bucks.I have hunted this unit for years.Drew the early rifle tag this year.I also drew early archery last choice in 2006.Words of advice"get to the top of the rubies."Both areas you suggested would be good.I love the east humbolts,but I would suggest the green mountain area.I don't think you can go wrong with either.Be patient and the key is to sit back and glass the area.Guarantee you will see something worth going after.Good luck.Your gonna need it.It is a hot and tuff hunt.

Very wide open too. Best thing about that unit is that you'll see plenty of bucks. Worst thing is that they're hard to get on. The better the optics, the better the hunt. that may not be what the average archery hunter thinks but in those units, seeing is everything. Good luck.

hey thanks guys.

On another note I am a firm believer in letting the eyes do the walking whenever possible, and I can imagine that a good spotting scope would come in real handy up there. I did have another question. I understand that you can actually drive in to 103 thru Mitchell ranch and get pretty high in a four wheel drive, or at least it looks like you can on a map. Do you know if thats true? And then is 103 more open than 102 or 101, possibly drier since it down south?

I also heard that you should hunt the west side instead of the east? Or does it really make a difference once your on top?

Thanks again

I have hunted all 3 units. 101 and 102 have a lot of aspen and more of the alpine type vegetaion you might expect. 103 is more P/J, Mahogany choked, with patches of aspen, but not as much as 101 and 102. There is no wilderness in 103, and you can take Mitchell all the way to the top between Sherman and Cass House peaks. There is also a lot less water in 103 than 101 and 102. I drew a 10 ML tag again (1st choice), and am still thinking of what to do. We will be packing in with a horse this year, so I am thinking of some areas that have more water than 103.

Also, glassing and getting away from roads is key. Last year I bumped into some people in Mitchell creek, who had only seen 3 does, and those were on Harrison. I got to a saddle, walked a 1/4 mile into a small quakie patch, and had deer everywhere, adding to the 20 I had already seen that morning.

Good luck

Marcial

All information above if very good and on the money. East or West doesn't matter in my opinion there are plenty of deer on both sides. Like stated above, get off of the well beaten path and get up high for glassing. I have found deer at all levels but I've found better numbers up high. I hunted muzzle loader the last two years and hiked in anywhere from 1/4 mile to 3 miles and never see another hunter for several days at a time. I'm hoping to draw the early archery tag on the second drawing and if I do I'll be getting into the back country and camping up high. fatrooster.

Here is one that came out of Hole in the Mt. area in 2005. I had this buck dead in my crosshairs when I heard a shot come from up the hill and the buck dropped dead about 100 yards in front of me. A guy from Vegas shot it and he told me it was his biggest deer ever. I was happy for him after my blood finally cooled off.
Fly

467bf4e526149f87.jpg

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom