Nevada deer application

eelgrass

Long Time Member
I just got my applications in the mail yesterday. I already know about the split seasons. (early and late).

Page 46.
It lists two different hunter choice numbers for early and late. OK, I get that. But it doesn't list the quotas for the late season? Just a bunch of < > around the early season quotas.

To save me a bunch of time can someone give an explination as to what it means? Thanks!

Eel

I'm going to feel like an idiot if this is a stupid question!:)

Get ready to feel dumb......those are last years quota's and since it wasn't a split season last year it is pretty hard to show a number for a late season.

There are no dumb questinos, just dummies to ask them.

JB

Ok. Time for the next question. I'm aware that they have not set their tag quotas yet. But does anyone know if the split season is supposed to create more or less tags in general? Or will tag numbers remain about the same? I've watched the debate on more/less opportunity! For me personally, 16 days is a long season, and my hope is that a few more tags are created by the split.

Don P.

Get ready to feel dumb......those are last years quota's and since it wasn't a split season last year it is pretty hard to show a number for a late season.

There are no dumb questinos, just dummies to ask them.

JB

Yea but everywhere else in their booklet there is a ? for the quota if it's a new offering.

Eel

The way I understand it:

The tags will basically be split somwhere around 85% early, 15% late.

There will be an increase of around 10% from last years quota, mostly devoted to the early season.

Since the early season hunters can't hunt the last few weekends, there will be a drop in success, especially mature bucks, that will allow for the 10% increase in tags.

I don't have the packet in front of me, but there is an explanation on the front page of the booklet, or right before the actual season tables that explains everything. a "?" is for a totally new hunt, where there were no tags last year. The <> is to show the total amount of tags that there were last year for that hunt, but to show it is now a split season and not necessarily and entirely new hunt.

I think the idea is an increase of 10-20% in tags, with an 85/15% +/- split early/late. The idea was a slightly shorter season, with a few more people will decrease the hunter success which will amount to about the same buck harvest, and a small number of tags in the late season will not have a huge impact on the total mature buck harvest. I read some CAB meeting minutes, and White Pine County had even mentioned a 95/5% split, which is a very small amount of tags for the late season.

Also, keep in mind that it will eventually be up to the County advisory boards and state board to decide on total quota in each season.

Biologists will reccommend a total number of tags. They may reccommend 500 for a particular area. The CAB may say 450/50 early/late, and the state may say, 400/100. It is hard to say until it actually happens.

Later,

Marcial

Good question Don P. Maybe there will be the same number of tags but split (< >) between the early and late seasons?

Eel

Marcial, there is a "lame" explination on page 33. You explained it a lot better. Thanks.

OTC blacktail tags sure are simple.:)

Eel

so is going archery bc you basically get to pick which unit you want and dont have to worry about the draw as much.

My experence in Nv is that the first week of Nov really isn't rut activity time, just colder weather and more/longer deer activity each day BUT with less hunters afield, they would really be quality hunts. Just imagine 85%-95% of the hunters in the field at the same time during the early season, what a nightmare. With 0 points this year I guess I can't be picky.

Those units with the ^ and only a tag allocation number in the top are total tags (from last year) for both offered seasons.

Hunt codes are different but those tags will be split by hunt code applied for...with in that specific unit... the percentage split.. I got no clue...

I agree that the year in year out ? represents new tags available....

Robb

You have to careful when applying for a NR tag. There are very few units that a group of 3 can apply for as a group on the late hunts.

Nevada will come out with the tag numbers in May so it's a roll of the dice on how many tags for the late hunt but I would think maybe 2 or 3 for the split hunts so be carefull on your choices.

Thank you all for the input. I guess it wasn't such a dumb question after all. (sorry D13er) :)

Nevada is a very special place. Every time I draw a tag there it turns out to be one of my favorite hunts. Good luck to everyone in the draw!

Eel

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom