Nevada is getting expensive

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I just applied my wife and myself, over $1,000.00.

Me for everything except elk and everything for her.

I put us both in for all "Silver State" tags.

And I put myself in for "Dream" tags, 5 each for deer and antelope, 10 each for Nelson and California sheep, plus elk.

I'm on "time out time" for elk so the Silver State or Dream tags are my only chance for an elk tag.

She has 5 PPs for everything, I have 7 for deer and both sheep species and just came off of time out time for antelope.

With the quality of hunts I applied us for I doubt we'll even draw a deer tag but it is Nevada so you never know.

Not whining, just saying.

SLAYER......WHAT IS A SILVER STATE TAG, & HOW DOES IT WORK ??? IF YOU DONT MIND FILLING ME IN A BIT..........THANKS.......YD.

shoulda saved your money on the dream tags. I guess someone has to draw but with there being no limit to how much someone can buy seems like endless odds to me. I put in for everything . PIW, Silver State, all the animals, but not on the dream tags. Ive heard of ppl spending 1000 just on those, lol crazy.

Yeah I will stay away from the dream tags I usually drop $20 on the Idaho super hunt but those odds are getting longer and longer too.

This year I am torn on applying for both bull and cow tags. It would be my luck that I would draw both. But I won't draw either if I don't apply. I don't have many points for bull but enough to start thinking its possible.

Good luck all!

YD, IMO the PIW, Silver State and Dream tags are just about the same. If drawn, you can hunt any open unit, for that species, anywhere in the state. Without refreshing my memory, I think with the Silver State tag you can hunt any open season, with any weapon you choose thus you could hunt deer with a rifle during an archery season. Don't quote me on that one though.

NRs can only apply for the deer PIW tag. NRs can apply once for the Silver State tag for deer, antelope, elk, nelson and california sheep. The Dream tag is a raffle and you can buy as many "tickets/chances" as you want. Reviewing my purchase, over $250.00 was in Dream Tag purchases.

Since Nevada is my favorite state to hunt, I've fallen for their money making schemes. But nobody made me apply and someone has to draw.

I personally know 2 individuals that drew the Nevada PIW deer tag. I only know 1 California Lottery winner. For what's worth.

Yeah, the fees can get steep! But I'm not complaining either. Nv has been good to me. I applied for deer and antelope hunts. Pointed the rest. Also PIW deer. A little over 2 bills. Money well spent.

Don P

As a resident I was in it $198 all said and done. Didn't hit all of the Silver state tags (just desert sheep) and no dream hunt tickets yet.

Now we wait... is it May yet?

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup, I just stir it.[/font]

>Beats feeding the poker machines!

Can I get a cocktail waitress to the computer area while I complete my app?

THANKS SLAYER & NV BIGHORN........I MIGHT HAVE TO APPLY SOMETIME BEING NEXT DOOR TO NEVADA. HOPE YOU FELLAS DRAW THIS YEAR !!!!!.............................YD.

>Yeah I will stay away from
>the dream tags I usually
>drop $20 on the Idaho
>super hunt but those odds
>are getting longer and longer
>too.

Actually, Idaho's odds got better last year with the price increase.

I grew up in Nevada, so I'm not much of a gambler.
I lost 2 dollars on a 21 game one time, and that cured me.

I bought the combo license, put in for most everything and it still only rang up 286.50, so somebody must have went on a crazy gambling spree.

Times that by 5 other states.. as a non residents hunter family's . .
Not allowed to use plastic for draws anymore .(old ladies rule)

Piper, about $250.00 of that was a gamble/lottery/hail mary/Dream Tags.

And I was over compensating because I didn't draw Arizona and PP'd Wyoming elk.

Jester, I feel your pain. The wife, son and I in for Colorado elk, me in for deer. Wife and I in for Nevada and Utah (everything we're eligible for). Me in for NM elk and probably Idaho deer/elk. And buying PPs for all 3 of us for deer, antelope and elk plus moose points for the wife and sheep points for me in Wyoming. I have 34 PP in Oregon (deer/antelope/elk) plus about 21 for th son and 12 for the wife and haven't appied since the price increase. Maybe this year.

And then there is California which should produce a X zone deer tag in our back yard this year.

Does 30 applications for a 3% chance to draw equate to a 90% chance we'll draw one tag somewhere? Hoping so.

>Does 30 applications for a 3%
>chance to draw equate to
>a 90% chance we'll draw
>one tag somewhere? Hoping
>so.

Using Bayes' Theorem in probability theory you would have a 59.90% chance of drawing one tag if you applied for 30 different tags that all had a 3% chance to draw.

I did have a question on Nevada Dream Tag odds. It's too late for this year, but how are they reporting those in the drawing odds for each species.

According to the drawing odds there were 2,950 "apps" for the Silver State Desert Bighorn sheep and 1,990 "apps" for the Dream Desert Bighorn Sheep. Were there 1,990 people that bought anywhere from 1 to 1,000 individual chances or were there only 1,990 chances sold? If there were only 1,990 chances sold, the odds are actually better for the Dream tag than the Silver State tag.

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks, Nathan

According to the 2013 draw report there were 18308 Dream Tag chances purchased for the Desert Bighorn Dream tag.

I'm curious too.

But the odds stated seem encouraging in my case.

Some day the wife is going to draw a great tag or two and the pressure will be on me to perform.

When I began applying her 6 years ago I thought that women were lucky and he'd draw a couple of great tags the first year or two. So far she's only drawn the tags the odds say she should have drawn. SOME DAY!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom