New Mexico unit 23 or 26?

R

redrabbit

Since I have no whitetail hunt in Arizona this year, I'm thinking of a last minute otc hunt in NM. A sucessful mule deer hunt in Utah this past weekend has the hunting juices flowing. Has anyone hunted coues around Mule Creek, north to the San Francisco R. or south along the AZ border? The area around pothole canyon/cottonwood canyon near the SFR looks good on the topo map. How's the hunting pressure during the general seasons? Or should I consider driving the extra distance to 26? I have hunted neither areas before.
Thanks for any advice.
Red Rabbit

I know nothing of NM, but maybe crazyaboutcoues will stop in and respond, or you could email him. I think the first season starts pretty soon. Best of success..... Allen......

Both units have thier fair share of Coues. 26 is more open like the country in AZ, 23 is more brushy. Coues deer in 23 have adapted to the dense cover.

The majority of the hunters in NM hunt mule deer. There will prabably be more hunters in 23 than in 26.

Tommy

if u decided to go unit 26

hunt area big hachets and little hachets and playas smyers..

good place....require lots of glasses but big bucks are there...

vinihunt

Vinny and Tommy,

Thanks for the info. Time to use terraserver, study the maps and decide where to go Nov 8-10.

Red Rabbit ; Doug

I'm Going to Unit 23 on nov 12 - 17th. Not sure what is going to happen there. went scouting, saw 1 Doe, a herd of Elk, and 3 bears, over a 1 1/2 day period. If you go to 23, let me know your out come..

WHERE BEAR IN UNIT 23? NEAR CLIFF?

GO VIRDEN...THERE ARE A GOOD CHANCE OF GETTING A COUES....

CRAZYABOUTCOUES...WHAT DO U THINK?

VINIHUNT

Back behind Virden around the Steeple Rock area has been known for some good coues action.

Good Luck on you hunt

Later

OK, you guys got me here. I'm from AZ, and have no Idea what areas your talking about. Best I can say is, I did some scouting off of road 290. I think that is what it was. South of Luna about 15 miles or so. East of Alpine AZ. All I want to know is, during November, will the deer be high in the mountians or down lower? Yes, we saw a few bears in there. Elk and one lone Doe.

Well, I added up the mileage to 26 and it's almost twice as far as going to 23. Nine hours behind the wheel made the decision to go to 23, although Vinny had some good comments about 26. A friend got his first whitetail near Virden years ago, so I'll map out that area also. One week to go!
Red Rabbit

REDRABBIT,

U FROM NM?

CORMANAZ...

I'LL UPDATE WITH YOU, NEXT WEEK....MY 3 FRIENDS ARE GOING FOR DEER..LEAVING SUNDAY..AND WILL BE BACK WED....HOPEFULLY WITH GOOD NEWS...

VINIHUNT

Vinny,
I'm from Flagstaff, AZ., so it would be close to 500 miles one way to unit 26.
Red Rabbit

redrabbit...

go unit 23...better.....closer to your hometown.....and like tommy and i said...go to

VIRDEN..

VINIHUNT

how was your trip? any success?

vinihunt

friends of mine went and didn't bring deer home but saw herds of javelina

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom