Newbie question

Trad Bow 1979

I am not new to archery but this will be my first archery season, so I got a very basic question. From my limited experience I have found that broad heads will change your point of impact. Are there any broad heads out there that will fly as true as the field points? Thanks guys!

Many expandable a will. I shoot Epek Broadhsads and although I've only killed one animal with one, I was quite impressed. I do shoot them at my target all the time and they fly the same as my field tip.

I've been told that if everything is tuned properly, that a fixed blade head will also fly as your field tip, but I've never been able accomplish it.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I have tried fixed blade broad heads for 4 years, and I was never able to get them to fly as true as my field points. I went with the G5 T3 expendables this year, and they flew very similar to my field tips, even out to 100 yards. I took a mule deer buck and a bull elk this year, and I'll definitely try the T3's again. But then again, I've never tried any of the other expandables. I have heard good things about Epek as well. Good Luck!

I Live For This

I shoot expandable but it not cause I can't get fixed blades to fly. Brodhead tuning is exactly a pretty good way of tuning a bow. To just shoot expandable because you can't get fixed blades to fly is just putting a bandaid on a problem. If you can't get fixed blades to fly it could be a number of things like form issues or draw length to long or spine issues or out of tune bow. Number of thing could be a problem and just slapping on expandables is not good. I encourage you to shoot fix blades just to make sure everything is good and then shoot expandables if you setup is sufficient enough

Everybody in our group shoots Easton Full Metal Jacket 340's , 2" Blazer Vanes and G5 Striker Broadheads in 100gr. Both field tips and broadhead shoot exactly the same out of several different brand bows. Mathews , Bowtech , PSE. These arrows will group as good as you can shoot'm with a six shot group covering a quarter at 50yds.

))))------->

I have never had problems getting fixed blade heads to hit with field points, its not big deal if you start with a good head and the right arrow spine. I can get em so close the broadhead will cut the vane off the the other arrows so I always shoot broadhead first. One very easy to tune broadhead that I have never had any problems with, on any bow, is a 125 gr 4 blade Magnus Stinger. Puts animals down quick too.

Good Luck!

TRY THE ELMER EDGE MECH BH, AND NEVER LOOK BACK. I GAVE ALL MY FIXED HEADS AWAY. GOT A NICE ONE SHOT PASS THROUGH LAST YEAR ON A 6X6 ARIZONA BULL ELK. THIS MAY BE THE MOST THOUGHT OUT BH OF ALL TIME. SLICK IN DESIGN. I DID NOT HAVE TO "TUNE" MY BOW TO BE REALLY ACCURATE WITH THIS HEAD......................YD.

Montec G5 CS single piece fixed blade. This braodhead will fly as true as any field point in my experience. Bone crunching power and perfect pass throughs as well, no worries of any type of malfunction, also can be re-sharpened easily.

Look, any modern compact broadhead popularly sold today can be made to shoot like field tips rather easily. Or at least close enough that no human shooter could differentiate. The notion that one broadhead is better than another because it flies like a field tip while others do not, is pure hogwash. Tune your bow and or tune your form, then shoot what you want. Using a mechanical as a substitute of tuning or form flaws is a lazy "fix" IMO.

And for the record, the only true broadhead malfunction I've personally experienced happened with G5s, twice. So the above post, as well as a few others above, are kinda amusing.

No matter which Broad Head you choose someone will have an opinion of another one that they think is better. Like others have said, as long as you have correct form and tuned they are tuned correctly, then they will fly the same as a Field Point. No matter which head you end up choosing, you will sometime or another deal with malfunctions etc.... That's just what happens when you are dealing with technology and mechanical items. Hope you are able to find a head that works for you and can have some success as well.

>Look, any modern compact broadhead popularly
>sold today can be made
>to shoot like field tips
>rather easily. Or at least
>close enough that no human
>shooter could differentiate. The
>notion that one broadhead is
>better than another because it
>flies like a field tip
>while others do not, is
>pure hogwash. Tune your
>bow and or tune your
>form, then shoot what you
>want. Using a mechanical
>as a substitute of tuning
>or form flaws is a
>lazy "fix" IMO.
>
>And for the record, the only
>true broadhead malfunction I've personally
>experienced happened with G5s, twice.
> So the above post,
>as well as a few
>others above, are kinda amusing.
>

Not to be a prick, but how does a one piece broadhead malfunction. The G5 Montec CS is not an expandable by the way, I would just like to know for my own information in case anyone runs into this situation. - Thanks

I can get about any broadhead to shoot like my field points.
I have felt like the following fixed heads are the most consistent and easiest to get to fly well.
I have never been a fan of expandable, why worry about one more thing that may go wrong.

-Wacem
-Slick Trick

>>Look, any modern compact broadhead popularly
>>sold today can be made
>>to shoot like field tips
>>rather easily. Or at least
>>close enough that no human
>>shooter could differentiate. The
>>notion that one broadhead is
>>better than another because it
>>flies like a field tip
>>while others do not, is
>>pure hogwash. Tune your
>>bow and or tune your
>>form, then shoot what you
>>want. Using a mechanical
>>as a substitute of tuning
>>or form flaws is a
>>lazy "fix" IMO.
>>
>>And for the record, the only
>>true broadhead malfunction I've personally
>>experienced happened with G5s, twice.
>> So the above post,
>>as well as a few
>>others above, are kinda amusing.
>>
>
>
>Not to be a prick, but
>how does a one piece
>broadhead malfunction. The G5 Montec
>CS is not an expandable
>by the way, I would
>just like to know for
>my own information in case
>anyone runs into this situation.
>- Thanks

No prickmess taken but it was a major malfunction. The whole dang broadhead snapped off clean. The ferrule sheared off right at the insert. Happened to me once with a Montec and once with a Striker (same cast, pot metal, construction). I have a friend this also happened to with a Montec. It's not an isolated incident. I've read a few other stories where the same thing has happened.

I love the solid one piece, 3 blade, cut on contact design, I think it is the best, but these experiences are what got me looking elsewhere. I found VPA. Same design but fully machined out of one piece of steel. Not cast. Much stronger. Easier to sharpen too. 3 dozen or so animals later and I have no plans of changing.

My fixed have shot consistent, but slightly different than field points. I use fixed for elk and expandables for everything deer size. Currently shooting the rage and with those shock collars on there I feel very good about the broad head performing without issue. Never had an issue prior to that beyond them coming loose in the quiver every once in a while and I would double check them overtime I knocked one. With the collars I think they work well.

I was going to look at the Ulmers Edge this year. Saw a test on all the expandables and that broad head shot the tightest group out of a hooter shooter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom