Newcomer

GomerPyle

Hello everyone,

I am new to the group and was wondering if anyone could help me out, give some advice, and possibly point us in the right direction?

My friend and I just booked our first trip out to Wyoming for antelope and drew tags in unit 003-1! We will be trekking it from the great state of Pennsylvania, and couldn't be more pumped

Back to the tags, not the greatest draw I am assuming, but we're there to have fun and bring home some coolers, not trophy hunt.

I am getting a little concerned as it appears that there is no walk-in access listed on the WGFD website, and we've never been to your great state:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner/Antelope-Hunting/Antelope-Map

It seems there is plenty of BLM and state land available to hunt, but I am not 100% sure how to read the maps, and don't want to piss off any land owners.

Additionally, is the "Bankhead Jones" land fair game? BLM access points?

Could any of you help me out, point me in the right direction, or offer suggestions?

Any good camping spots?

Thanks so much in advance!

Gomer

I have never hunted that unit and only driven through once. I don't recall seeing many antelope but more whitetail country. At any rate I would recommend you try to contact the Wyoming big game biologist for that area. When you can get ahold of them, they have always been pretty helpful with some of the general information you are after.
I'm guessing there are plenty of good camping spots in that area if there is lots of BLM ground. One thing we like to do when antelope hunting is to "Nomad Hunt". That is, take a tent and gear in the back of the truck and hunt til dark then find a flat spot and set up camp. In the morning we get up early and take it down, throw it in the back of the truck and immediately start hunting. That way you can cover the whole unit if you want, without having to worry about getting back to a single camping spot. It has worked great for us.

Best of luck.

Great advice on contacting the biologist. Have your questions written down before you call.

If he says there is a lot of private, get a gps with a Wyoming state chip. Let you know exactly, public or private.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom