Nikon 55-200 VR lens

dslaughter

Has anyone used this lens or heard anything good or bad about it? My sister is considering a Nikon D40 kit that has this as a second lens. I have the Nikon 18-200 VR and 70-200 VR and I'm really pleased with them but I don't know what to tell her about this lens.
ds

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-07 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]It really depends on what she needs it for. I can not recommend it, as it's not really an AFS, it has a crappy focus ring, it has NO M/AF function, it's either on manual or auto, and I dont like lenses that protrudes beyond the barrel. It's not really an afs lens, it more like a af lens.

I's not a horrible lens, but depending on what she wants it for, it may or may not suit her needs.

Here's Thom Hogan's summary:

Drawbacks

Vignetting. We'd forgotten about it when we moved to digital SLRs, as the older lenses had much larger image circles than necessary, but with a small DX lens that barely covers the APS-sized sensor, it's back.
* Variable aperture. The big issue is that at 200mm this is an f/5.6 lens, which means that autofocus in low light can be compromised slightly.
* Build quality. Build quality doesn't exceed the price point.
* What happened to AF-S? Much slower to focus than most AF-S lenses, and you can't manually override the focus.
* Where are we? No distance scale.

Positives

* Very good optics. Other than that vignetting, no fatal flaws worth mentioning, actually. Considering the price, good performance, and probably well-matched to the D40, D40x, D50 or D70s, or even D200 purchaser. The VR version is preferred, but the original is no slouch (and now an excellent value).
* The 80-300mm for the digital world. Yes, the low-cost telephoto zoom is back in full force. If that's what you want with your DSLR, this is a lens you should consider. Just don't expect 70-200mm type autofocus performance.
* Price/Performance exceeded . This is a sharper, more featured lens than you'd expect for US$250.

T,
thanks for the response. She's got 3 kids in school so I think she'll want to photograph plays, dance recitals and sports (indoor volleyball and outdoor soccer).
I think the simpler the better (if that helps).
thanks,
ds

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-07 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]for indoor sports, forget it, unless she can shoot at 3200 iso, it will have trouble focusing and you wont get 1/250 sec. out of it indoors. . .

for in home it would make an okay lens if you also have a sb 600 to get your light out there when at the 200 end.

One more word. I recommended against the d40 for just the situation your sister is now in. She cant buy or use ANY lens other than an AFS lens on that camera. So, she's left to spend a lot of money on fast lenses for indoor sports. If she has a d70s, as I recommended, she would have an open door to a lot of nikon fast af lenses. . .

So, all is not lost, just save up for a 70-200 afs vr.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom