Nikon ED50 or Vortex viper HD 15x15x65

elkcrazedfrk

Ok folks, I cant make a decision so please help based on your expierences. I spend alot of time behind a spotter while mule deer hunting in fairly open country. I may watch a deer close to a mile away and scrutinze him deciding whether to make a stalk or not. I'm really torn between these two scopes. I just dont know if the 13x30 eyepiece of the ED 50 is gonna be enough for breaking down deer at long range. I know the Nikon is way lighter than the viper and maybe a little higher quality? but do you think id be better off with the 15x45x65 vortex viper. I guess the extra 2 pounds isnt that big of deal to me as im in great shape and have a really good pack. Maybe the 13x40 eyepiece for the ED 50 would be the answer? Ugh..lol.Please help me. Thanks a bunch. Also the ED 50 would be at the very top end of my budget.

OK, I'll bite. I have both. In the ED 50, I have the 13-40. Better than the 13-30. For me, personally.....I use the little Nikon on my mountain hunts. Light, great glass, simple. I use it to save me hiking.....if I can see good horns, I am OK with that....not looking to count points....remember, we are at altitude. Bottom line, that scope will let me know if the animal is worth chasing.

Viper is my scope in the desert. Heavier, yes. However we usually aren't hiking like a mountain hunt...therefore I like the wider glass.

I can save you some headache....buy both! Each has a great warranty...each has it's place.

Good luck!

haha..I cant afford both. Would really like to know which is the better spotter for my style of hunting. Yes i do cover some miles hiking from hilltop to hilltop in northcentral wyoming. But also glass fairly long distances at muleys. I'm leaning towards the viper but would like more opinions and discussion if anyone can help me out.

Don't know anything about the Vortex spotter. I have the Nikon and for me sizing up a mule deer at a mile isn't a problem with the 15x30 zoom. Put another way, if I can find them in 8X32 binos. I can decide if they are worth a stalk with that scope. I think it's an excellent scope for the mobile hunter. If you really want to compare them both I'd call Doug at Cameraland and explain your situation and see if he'll let you order both putting them on a credit card and then send back the one you don't want.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-12 AT 08:22PM (MST)[p]I spent over an hour right defore dark looking through both in the mountains looking at deer and elk. Go with the Nikon, but find the 13-40 power eyepiece. It's a much smaller and even clearer than the Vortex, and that was an HD model. I will someday have the Razor spotter....best one-two puch under $2k total money can buy. I wish Swaro would build a little guy like the ED50.

Trust me......4 of my buddies have ed50s and they were looking for the Vortex to begin with.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

I own a Vortex Nomad. I don't think it is of the same quality as the Viper. It is a good scope though. I also have a Nikon ED50. It is a fabulous little scope that is far superior to the Vortex. Bother are well worth what I paid. The Vortex is an 80mm and I just got tired of packing it around all day and wanted to try something smaller and lighter. You really need to spend some time looking through both scopes. The glass on the Nikon is excellent.

The quality of the ed50 is far superior to the vortex, no question. Plus, the ed50 weighs only 20oz. I bought the ed50 for packing and I love it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-12 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]I've owned the Nikon ED50 13-30 for about 4 years now and have had good luck with it. It's good glass, lightweight, and generally allows me to decide if an animal is worth closer investigation. However, I sometimes found myself wishing for something with a little more reach and a little bigger objective for more low light gathering ability. Plus I'm not super comfortable looking through the Nikon for really extended periods of time. I settled on the Vortex Viper HD 15-45. Yes, it's heavier. But I hope it addresses the limitations I mentioned above. Haven't had a chance to put it to the test yet and decide if the extra weight is worth it, but I'm hopeful. After doing a little more comparision I might trim back to only 1 spotter - just don't know which that will be yet. Good luck with your decision.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom