NM BIGHORN SHEEP DRAW?

Horniac

Very Active Member
With regard to the sheep draw this year, the way I understand it is there are now 4 hunt codes; RMBS (17 tags), RMBS Ewe (12 tags), RMBS Ewe Archery (12 tags), and DBS (21 tags) for a total of 62 tags. Within those 4 hunt codes, applicants can select up to 3 of those 4 hunt codes, and then within those hunt codes, up to 3 hunt choices. So, each applicant could have up to 8 hunt choices (note the ewe hunts have only two hunts available).

The draw book then goes on to state that of the TOTAL sheep tags, Residents will be allocated 84% (52 tags), Guided Resident or NR up to 10% (6 tags), NR up to 6% (3.72 tags) so I guess that would round down to 3 tags.

Then elsewhere in the draw book, it says that applications are arranged in sequential order based on the random number order assigned by the computer and then the system sees if any of your hunt choices are available when it comes to your application. So for sheep applications, if I understand it correctly, once the computer gets to your application, it would see if your hunt choice is available, and then if so, if you are a NR or Guided applicant, it will make sure the 6% and 10% quotas have not been exceeded.

Therefore, a Resident or NR applicant contracted with an outfitter or a NR applicant can apply for any hunt code and be awarded the tag as long as the 10% and 6% quotas have not been exceeded at that point. Is my understanding of this year's sheep draw process correct?

Thanks,

Horniac

Sounds right to me.

I do have a question though. So hypothetically, let say they pull your app and there is only 1 tag left for Rocky Mountain Ram in the Pecos Wilderness. On my app I chose Rocky Mountain Ram as my first choice but didn't select the Pecos as one of my 3 sub choices. I choose Latir and Wheeler. Would they move on to the next app or would they give me that Pecos tag?

Travis

If it is not one of your choices then you don't get the tag, don't see that as getting hosed. As it is we are now getting up to 6 choices for ram tags, versus 3 last year.

On the other topic, I believe the quota is assigned to each hunt code, not the overall #tags. For non-residents it look like there will be one Rocky ram tag and one Desert ram tag. The guided pool is less certain, depending on if the round up. I've heard two versions, it will either be one or two tags for each species (ram). Huntin' Fool says 2 Desert and one Rocky ram tag in the guided pool.

It's amazing the trouble G&F went through after breaking the law last year. Same quota per unit for drawing purposes but different hunt codes for percentage purposes.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom