NonRes Montana Native Tag Price Changes

lvelk

I heard a rumor, the combo tag prices for non-residents who were born in Montana have changed. Any truth to that? I tried some searches and was unable to find anything.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-12 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]Its 4 times the resident fees for deer and elk if you were born in Montana...not sure on the combo tag.

It wasnt any cheaper last year...
"Qualifying nonresidents must apply for either a $542 deer or $912 big game combination license by March 15, 2011"

RE: NonRes Montana Native Tag Price Change

So this bill was pocket passed by Schweitzer? Interesting that he didn't want to autograph it. I cannot find a limit in the number of these licenses in the bill? Are these unlimited as long as you qualify?

Nemont

It appears this basically addresses the Nonres Combo licenses with the exception of the state lands permit, and It also appears to be OTC...correct??

>So this bill was pocket passed
>by Schweitzer? Interesting that
>he didn't want to autograph
>it. I cannot find
>a limit in the number
>of these licenses in the
>bill? Are these unlimited as
>long as you qualify?
>
>Nemont

No limt on the number, Nemont. And we had a hard time selling the NR combos in 2011. Now, when a lot of former MT guys move to this pool of tags, we will have an even harder time. Between this, the Coming Home to Hunt program,and our other NR tags, we are printing NR tags like the US Treasury prints money.

Lots of work was invested to get it killed, but political deal making allowed it to pass. So much for tag availability being the bottleneck in MT for those trying to book hunters.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Selling off MT one piece at a time,its what the F&G does best.

I'll be taking advantage of this one...felt guilty about it at first.

Cant believe I will only pay 144 for deer and elk tags this year. Gotta like it.

This is great news for non residents. Before I could only draw the nr combo every other year. Looks like the outfitters can pretty much guarantee tags to nr hunters again(although they are not "outfitter sponsored") they might as well be.

"Selling off MT one piece at a time,its what the F&G does best."

Shedz - I agree that it is a chipping away at things bit by bit.

But, it was not FWP wanted this bll. Unfortunately, it was a Gallatin Valley legislator who wanted people to come back and hunt on the cheap (never mind if he might have family that would direclty benefit from such). And, the rest of his cronies fell in line to support the bill. Fortunately, that legislator is now "termed out," but even more egregious one will probably replace him.

A lot of poeple went to Helena and fought this bill. There were just so many bad ones last session, that it was not practical to kill every bad bill. The worst of the worst died, but this one made it through.

Yeah, a real money raiser for the Department. Take a big pool of applicants who were paying much more, and now reduce their fee. And, make it even harder to sell all the NR licenses we currevtly have.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Just for the record, I voiced my opposition to this bill even though I knew I'd benefit from it.

As a former Resident of Montana, I dont see the sense in this bill at all. I also belong to a couple sportsmens groups in Montana that also opposed the bill.

I think the bigger thing impacting the sale of the NR licenses is the price increase from the bill getting rid of OSL's. I think its also partly an issue of the economy right now as well. I think if the economy turns around people wont have a problem paying another $300 for the deer/elk combo license and Montana will sell them out again in the initial draw.

I know some people that boycotted Montana last year with the price increase...I suspect by sitting out a year, they are likely anxious to get back and hunt.

A few of those other names on the bill either outfit or have family that does...

Intresting twist on the bill. You have to submit your application to an FWP office in person after March 1st. I guess if you live in a surrounding state its no big deal, just a vacation day from work and gas money (since FWP is 8-5 M-F). Then again, if you live in WY or ID your probably not worried about a MT tag. Most will have to buy a plane ticket, take a couple of days off, car rental, hotel, etc... to submit this application. In the long run it will cost more than the NR Combo drawing. Someone crafty with the pen just limited this tag without putting a number on it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-12 AT 01:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-12 AT 01:03?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-12 AT 01:00?PM (MST)

You can purchase that tag anytime...day before you go hunting if you want.

The only real issue is that to apply for the elk special permits you'd have to show up in person to buy the elk tag prior to March 15 to be in the special draw.

Other than that you can purchase elk, deer, fishing, and upland bird for 4x the resident fees any time you want. There is NO limit on the number of Montana Native permits that are sold...no quota at all. Its an OTC tag, you dont have to apply for it.

Also, you can still apply for the special deer as there is no requirement to have a deer tag to apply for special deer.

I'm going to drive to Billings and buy mine before March 15, only because I want to apply in the special elk draw. My wife will just buy a deer tag when we go up to hunt in November...pretty tough to pass up a $64 NR deer tag. We'll both apply for special deer permits as well.

Just buy it when you go to hunt, no reason for a special trip if you dont apply for the special elk permit and just want to hunt general elk and deer.

I copied and pasted this from Montana's web site. Appears to be 3 factors to qualify.

?Nonresident, Montana Native Hunting Licenses?
These licenses are available at substantially reduced prices
for purchase only from an FWP office beginning March 1.
They include: General Elk ($80), General Deer ($64) and
Upland Game Bird ($30). To qualify you must:

? Provide a birth certificate verifying your birth in Montana,
or documentation that you were born to parents
who were residents of Montana; and
? Proof of possessing a previous Montana resident hunting
or fishing license, or proof of passage of Montana?s
hunter education course; and
? Proof that you are a nonresident relative of a Montana
resident who is your natural or adoptive sibling, child
or parent.
? Applications with detailed qualifying information will be
available online at fwp.mt.gov on March 1.
? To obtain a license, applications must be submitted in
person to any FWP office.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom