Nosler Accubonds

COHunter

Anybody got anything good/bad to say about the Nosler Accubond bullets. Are they just another Scirocco ? To much for deer, etc ?

They are far better than a Scirocco, no comparison really. Think of them as a bonded Ballistic Tip. So far I have heard nothing but great things about them. I haven't taken any game with them but they shoot better than standard Partitions out of my 300 magnum, which is saying a lot. I have shot both the 180 grain and 200 grain. Taking the 180's on my muley hunt this year. You'll like them. Good luck !

The July 2004 issue of Petersen's Hunting had an article written by Rick Jamison with photos comparing the different 180 grain, 30 cal bonded bullets having 2000 and 3000 fps impacts into ballistic gelatin. All the bullets seemed to perform well. With the high impact velocity, the Nosler AB penetrated 15.5" and retained 61% weight. The Scirocco penetrated 16.0" and retained 79% weight. IMO, the bullet that had the best combination of penetration, retained weight, and expansion diameter, was the Trophy Bonded BearClaw (but its B.C. is low in comparison).
The Nosler Accubond can be thought of performing like a partition with a polymer tip. In my 300 WSM, I have found the 180 & 200 grain Accubonds to be more accurate than the 180 & 150 gr Sciroccos, in fact more accurate than any other bullet I've tried in that rifle. I used a 200 grain accubond on a bull elk last year. It retained 135 out of 200 gr(68%) and was recovered just under the hide of the offside shoulder. The only bone hit was a rib. Went through both shoulder muscles, but no blades.
I think the Sciroccos and the Accubonds would be great for deer-not too much. I have had real good performance with the 180 Sciroccos on 4 deer and 5 feral pigs (no recovered bullets to examine). I will be using the 180 Accubond for my two deer hunts this fall.

Doug/RedRabbit

I've used the 200 gr Accubond in a .300 Ultra to take 2 deer, a bear and a bull elk. Shots varied from 227 yards to 40 yards. The Accubond performed perfectly. Even at 40 yards and over 3000 fps. They are not too much for deer. I am using the same 200 gr load in my Ultra for Antelope this October. Why not? My pet load has varmint rifle accuracy. It won't ruin any meat if I don't shoot where the meat is. Don't worry about weight retention. Nosler's famous Partition is designed to retain about 70 percent. If the Accubond shoots well for you, you have a do it all bullet. mtmuley

Shot 13 animals in July in Africa with 260 AccuBond in my 375H&H; from 70# Springbok & Impala to mid-size Warthogs, and up to 600-800# Kudu, Gemsbok & Zebra. Perfect performance on every shot. In all my penetration and accuracy testing it was the best of all bullets tried.

The 260 grain Accubond is the most accurate bullet I've shot to date out of my custom .375 Ultra Mag. Half inch groups at 100 yards if I do my part. Average muzzle velocity is 3070 fps, according to my Chrono F1. I still worry about them coming to pieces on close range shots. I'll let you know how they work on elk when I catch up with one. I might just try them on Wyoming antelope and mule deer just for fun.

Meander, I wouldn't worry about them coming to pieces. As I posted, I shot both a black bear and a bull elk at about 40 yards. My load chronos at 3200 fps with a 200 gr Accubond in a .300 Ultra. Accubond, Hell yeah. mtmuley

I love Nosler's AccuBond, which I believe is a better all-around bullet than Hornady's InterBond.

325-sequences.gif

For starters, the AccuBond is more aerodynamic. I.E. 30 caliber 180-gr. AccuBond has a BC of .509 versus .480, enabling more downrange energy on target.

accubondcut.jpg

Moreover, a Nosler Technician recently reported that in comparison to the InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond.

Average AccuBond retained weight is confirmed at about 66% and Hornady claims the InterBond averages around 92% - 94% with results from hunters reported at around 85%.

The AccuBond's design took 4 1/2 years in the making.

I like this bullet because it provides excellent expansion and its unique ability to slowly shed weight enables it to penetrate more than the competition, so you get the best of both worlds.

With that said, both bullets holdup and penetrate better than their Swift counterpart; I wouldn't feel inferior with using either one on Big Game.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html

325-sequences.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom