NR archery elk question

Trad Bow 1979

Hey guys I'm a resident in NM and planning an archery elk hunt in Wyoming possibly for my retirement in about 4 years. I have no PP right now, but I'll start buying this year. I understand that 3-4 PP is not a lot but is there a hunt where there is a good balance between chances for a harvest and a good bull for that many points? Thanks in advance for responses.

There are plenty of good general tag areas that would meet your question requirements and probably not take that many PPs. Just start doing your homework well ahead of time and start buying your PPs right now. It also depends on what you call a "good bull", as IMHO just about any decent bull taken with archery equipment is a good one!

Topgun is right on.
Many areas would make a great archery hunt and respectable bulls roam the entire state not just the western side.
Some of the general area get hunted hard by residents but plenty of good areas with great elk populations. Numbers are up right now in all of the state except perhaps the western side where winterkill is still being evaluated.

Either your tired of not drawing or your looking for adventure? I just have to ask! Why would you even think about Wyoming when some of the best elk hunting is right under your feet, in your home state? Not trying to start no BS, just curious?

>Either your tired of not drawing
>or your looking for adventure?
>I just have to ask!
>Why would you even think
>about Wyoming when some of
>the best elk hunting is
>right under your feet, in
>your home state? Not trying
>to start no BS, just
>curious?

Probably both junior, LOL! It could be that because unless you buy a landowner voucher in NM the chances at a tag through the draw suck as a resident or NR!

>Either your tired of not drawing
>or your looking for adventure?
>I just have to ask!
>Why would you even think
>about Wyoming when some of
>the best elk hunting is
>right under your feet, in
>your home state? Not trying
>to start no BS, just
>curious?

It's all good man, and it's a legit question. I have had good success in drawing here in my state. Since 2010 this is only my 3rd time not drawing a elk tag. And there are great bulls in some of our non premier units as well. My reason is simply this, I have never been to Wyoming. I have always wanted to go there. Sure an elk hunt for a NR is expensive but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and funner than Disney Land! LOL. With that being said, I don't exactly want to buy PPs for a unit that has a 10% success rate with seeing a 300 class bull is as likely as a unicorn. I just want to get up in the pines and have reasonable chance for a nice bull. Thank you guys for the replies!!

>>Either your tired of not drawing
>>or your looking for adventure?
>>I just have to ask!
>>Why would you even think
>>about Wyoming when some of
>>the best elk hunting is
>>right under your feet, in
>>your home state? Not trying
>>to start no BS, just
>>curious?
>
>
>Probably both junior, LOL! It
>could be that because unless
>you buy a landowner voucher
>in NM the chances at
>a tag through the draw
>suck as a resident or
>NR!

Actually your chances of drawing can be good as long as you don't put all premier units for your choices. I've never cared for putting in for the Gila or any of those "elite" units. There are tons of elk and big bulls in the less premier units. As a NR yes your chances suck unless you register with an outfitter.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom