Officer killed with plastic shovel

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-15 AT 07:49AM (MST)[p]No actually - he was able to defend himself after sustaining broken bones and a broken foot. The dude with the shovel though, yeah, he got killed. His friends and about 200 supporters say it was the officer's fault.

At what point does the officer not have the right to fear for his life? After the suspect hits him with the shovel with a full swing (breaking the body camera and the shovel in the process!), or after he is hit a second and third time?

The idiototic comments by his "friends" and these cop haters just irk me to no end.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=33061072&fm=related_story&s_cid=article-related-1

You be the judge. Raw video:

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Roy, unbelievable how people think. All one has to do is watch the video. I thought the officer did everything right.

We had an incident here about a month ago. A citizen called 911 to report a vehicle accident in a remote are at about 2am. A lone CHP officer arrived to see a car crashed into a telephone pole. An argument ensued (according to a witness) between the driver and the officer and the driver somehow produced a machete. He cut the officers hand off before the officer emptied his gun into the guy. Turned out the driver was 17 years old and had stolen the car.

A lot of people were upset because they feel the officer could have handled it better. WTH?

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

I am a big believer in the body cameras for officers. A lot of persons are going to be surprised how aggressive certain citizens can get even with a armed officer. There is a common belief among a lot of them that the officer will not shoot or they can overpower him/her.

Still will not matter to Al Sharpton who will continue to stir the race war.

RELH

Deadly force should always be a last resort. With that being said, I firmly believe that an officer is entitled to go home to his/her family every night. If a thief, thug, gang banger, rapist, crazy person or any other type of criminal tries to prevent this from happening, then they need to be taken out.

There are cases that the officer is in the wrong and they should be held accountable. Cameras will help protect the rights of the cops and the public.

This is my favorite part of the article:

"(James') death was a senseless tragedy," Osborn said. "Senseless because it could have been avoided."

I was thinking the same thing. . . coulda been avoided. Avoided by not charging a cop. Could the officer have done anything to escalate it? I dont think anyone can armchair QB that question other than a LEO who knows what it is like to be in that position. I certainly cant.

I listened to a lengthy interview with the deceased's girlfriend on the radio this morning. Her account was 100% emotion and rhetoric, 0% rational or objective. If there we're 100,000 more of her here in SLC we'd be looking at another Ferguson.

While the Salt Lake demographic is much different than Ferguson, I think a big reason this is not blowing up is because of that video. There is just no other conclusion after seeing the officer hit with a shovel. And it wasn?t just once. He wound up and hit him off the porch then came down swinging again with the officer flat backed on the ground. What other choice did the officer have? There was no other option and the public can see that.

Another vote for more officer cams.

It could be natures new way of culling the heard. If your Stupid enough to do things like this perp did....... More power to the police. I salute them for all they do.

The idiot messed up by hitting him with the shovel so looks like he dug his own grave.

Now if the cop just walked up and shot him then ya that's wrong but he didn't. the cop walked up and asked the right questions

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-15 AT 08:31PM (MST)[p] My attitude is changing towards body cams now and I see the writing is on the wall, that soon most Officers will be wearing them. Before I had not been a big fan of the invasion of privacy aspect, but I see the bigger reward for vindication in most cases.

No matter what though there are still going to be these tinfoil hat wearing folks that think the police are in the wrong and the Officer was out of line. I keep telling myself not to read the comment sections on these stories, but sometimes I cant help myself and it just hurts my head with how stupid most people are. So many world wide web hero's that feel its their right to arm chair quarterback and give their two cents on how they would have done it different when in reality, in a life or death encounter they would be whimpering like a baby and freeze up.

I'm glad the Officer will recover from his physical injuries and I sure hope he will be able to cope with the mental injuries and not let all the BS effect him.

I think they should ban the flat brimmed hats since those are usually the jail house lawyers that don't think they need to give their names and know what police can and cant do.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom