Official Wolf Sighting Thread

Time to bring this topic back to the front. I have a line on a pack of six. One big black and 5 gray. I have an elk that hunt starts Dec. 1st, so I'm not really wanting to give info out publicly. I'd be more than happy to share info with someone by PM. It's in SW Idaho, for a rough estimate.

>Time to bring this topic back
>to the front. I have
>a line on a pack
>of six. One big black
>and 5 gray. I have
>an elk that hunt starts
>Dec. 1st, so I'm not
>really wanting to give info
>out publicly. I'd be more
>than happy to share info
>with someone by PM. It's
>in SW Idaho, for a
>rough estimate.

Hey Custom, i live in Eagle and would give anything to whack some Wolves !!

I always see wolf sign at the top of Cervidae Peak above the high bridge on the way to Idaho City. Can spot them from the road.

I really wish this would get going. I wanted it to three years ago. Very few hunters have the kind of time to effectively stalk a pack that runs dozens of miles a week. Working together is a no brainer.

I shared a closer option that consistenly has wolf activity. Twin Springs also always has wolves around, especially in the early spring. But, most helpful are recent sightings like what's posted above.

Just my two cents.

>Time to bring this topic back
>to the front. I have
>a line on a pack
>of six. One big black
>and 5 gray. I have
>an elk that hunt starts
>Dec. 1st, so I'm not
>really wanting to give info
>out publicly. I'd be more
>than happy to share info
>with someone by PM. It's
>in SW Idaho, for a
>rough estimate.

Thanks troy, PM sent, good luck on your'e elk hunt.

That's awesome!

For HotDuke and everyone else, there are lots of options. While it's nice to get fresh info, there's a lot of previous good info about wolves generally hang. Read previous posts here. Lowman and the Middle Fork of the Boise, aren't the only areas but they get lots of attention because they are close to Boise and have huge herds of wintering elk. Here's the 2015 wolf report from fish and game which can help with knowing where packs run (they often error on the low side) and it has locations of sightings: https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/idaho-wolf-monitoring-progress-report-2015.pdf

For the Middle Fork of the Boise, Yoyak has suggested Cottonwood to Alexander Flat in the winter. I would think that's a good general area according to my experience as well.

General information that helped me was focusing on finding wolves/wolf sign on ridges.

I'm not expert but that information has helped me get closer to wolves (no kills yet).

I saw 9 in 54 - just north of the City of Rocks during the last week of deer season. They were on the south face of Mt. Independence. Too far or I would be posting a picture of a dead one!

I saw 5 or possibly six yesterday up medicine lodge creek (unit 59) near the Eddy School. They were clearly visible from the road and stalking a small Elk heard. I was working and didn't have my rifle with me. The elk are all down fairly low and the wolves are chasing the hell out of them.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-17 AT 00:44AM (MST)[p]Hey Muley
How was the access getting in there? Can a 4 wheel drive get around ok?I would love to go thin the wolves out in that area.Thanks

That is interesting that some were seen near the City of Rocks. I have some property over there and have seen tracks but that was years ago. I have never seen one in Southern Idaho and was curious if people have been seeing them around here.

Don't want to sound like a spoiler, but just would like everyone to think about not pushing any deer/elk/antelope in these weather conditions and making them waste any energy.

Fact is this is shaping up to be a hell of a winter, though it isn't done yet.

>Don't want to sound like a
>spoiler, but just would like
>everyone to think about not
>pushing any deer/elk/antelope in these
>weather conditions and making them
>waste any energy.
>
>Fact is this is shaping up
>to be a hell of
>a winter, though it isn't
>done yet.

Good thing the wolves and coyotes won't chase any deer or elk and make them burn any energy either, I think we are all smart enough to use common sense and give the deer and elk a wide berth but this is the time to put the hammer down on some predators

>
>Good thing the wolves and coyotes
>won't chase any deer or
>elk and make them burn
>any energy either, I think
>we are all smart enough
>to use common sense and
>give the deer and elk
>a wide berth but this
>is the time to put
>the hammer down on some
>predators

Typical A$$Hole

Sorry if you read my sarcasm as me being an a$$hole, I am just saying we are all capable of making the right choices, I for one think that hunting predators during the prime predator hunting season, even if it is a tough winter for deer and elk is still necessary as a predator management tool, that being said on the days I do get out this year I will give the deer and elk a wider berth than usual. Just making blanket statements like nobody should go hunt wolves and coyotes because there is too much snow for the deer seems ridiculous to me

Bumping back to the top. Time to start thinning the packs. With rifle season on the way, i'm undecided where to look for deer and would certainly focus my efforts in an area with the possibility of taking a wolf instead.

Look at the last wolf quota report from IDFG to see where wolves are most active. If I wanted an area to hunt deer and wolves as a combo, I'd look at Lolo, Middle Fork, Selway, McCall, Boise River, and Salmon zones. They are in other places but in lower numbers. From everything I've seen, more wilderness areas have higher wolf populations that are more active.

I was looking for that and the last map that I found was of 2015. Anyone familiar with a more recent map showing pack locations?

>I was looking for that and
>the last map that I
>found was of 2015. Anyone
>familiar with a more recent
>map showing pack locations?

I just called IDFG and they are a few weeks out from publishing the 2017/18 report. the new map will not show pack locations but the state should be grided and color coded showing wolf density. They did say that not much has changes since the 2015 wolf pack map was published.

Saw my first wolfs just the other day. Unit 18 archery elk hunting. Howled at my elk bugle. Then again, and there they were.A black one and a grey one.On the ridge trail couple miles north of the Windy gap fire lookout.If I had a rifle, I could have killed one. Messed off the elk hunting that day for sure.Hope the rifle elk hunters have thier wolf tags!Goodluck! BH1

Good luck to all you guys out chasing lobos! I hurt my leg this year and haven't been able to hunt much. I am hoping to get healed up and chase them as the snow starts to pile up!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom