on the edge

ELKMASTER101

Very Active Member
What do you guys & galls use to put or keep an edge on your knives or blades?
How do you clean them?
Do you prefer straight edge or serraated?
gut hook or not?

spyderco tri angle sharpmaker. half serrated on my utility/pocket knives, straight edge on hunting knives. clean with soap and hot water. no gut hooks.

same as harry, 3 way stone and tune it up with a steel. only own one serrated blade. it's a switch blade with a half serrated edge. just sharpen the backside on a stone. rips through rope great. not good for much else. i also have a "wyoming" knife that i carry to gut elk with. works great. keep all my knives, which is a bunch, in a green watertight ammo can.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-04 AT 04:35PM (MST)[p]Harry & RLH,

Enlighten me on what a 3-way stone is? I use a two-sided stone and have a white Arkansas hard stone, is this the same set-up??

Have used the lansky too.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-04 AT 04:47PM (MST)[p] A 3way stone is pyramid shaped when viewed from the side.
It rests in an oil bath and is about 15"long,it has coarse,medium and fine surfaces on it.
Most meat shops have one.
I too use a nice sharpening steel to keep the edge in line.
I don't care for serrated edges,but the ones with a fluted edge are pretty nice!
Years ago I got a Wyoming knife as a gift,they work pretty well!

Gerber made a flat steel - mabe still do that has a leather sheath and a chisel point on one end. The groves on this steel are a little courser than most butchers steels and for what ever reason if your blade is close to sharp and you can hold a consistent angle it will stand the edge up and make it shaving sharp easier than any thing I have ever used.

I go to the mall, cutlery corner.
the guy in there is cool,he charges 3 dollars for any knive you got. But the edge that he leaves is better than factory,I skinned three deer and an elk and its still pretty sharp.
he also will remember you and do it for free the next time.
I can get a good knive pretty sharp,( shaving hairs) but it does not seem to last,this guy puts an edge you wouldn't believe.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom