Online Hunting Video Question: Ethical?

fly4fish

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-11 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]I managed to stalk to within 40 yards of a decent 160 inch double main beam mule deer with my brother right beside me with a video camera. The shot looked good, but the buck was out of site within 50 yards. I suspected he did not make it far. We gave him a couple hours and went back to look for him, only to not find him. We finally found some blood and slowly followed it for about 400 yard in about 6 to 8 hours when we found that he had circled back to with in 150 yards of us and got down wind while we were giving him time to expire. That is when he took a 180 and ran the other way. The blood disappeared as I suspect he picked up the pace.

So we looked from 11 to dark the first day (Saturday), all day Sunday, then I had to skip Monday. I came back Tuesday hoping I would at least find birds. I had one more spot I wanted to hit and the wounded buck came running out of some brush! So I was back in the game.

I followed him and watched him bed down tight to a cliff with two other bucks, one being about 170". With the camera rolling, I stalked up over the top of him to within 20 yards. The bigger buck busted out of the brush not more than 10 yards away. I knew I was going to take whatever shot I could get on my wounded buck, so as he came running out from under the cliff, I drew back and shot hitting him in the back end where you don't really want an arrow.

Fortunately that slowed him down quite a bit and he bedded down about 100 yards away. I was able to put on yet another stalk and finally put him down with a double lung shot. He only made it 30 more yards and fell over.

So, the question I have is when I am ready to go public with this video, should I include the shot to the rear which gave me the opportunity to finish him? I know I did the right thing to take the shot as if I had not, who knows what would have happened. May have never found him again.

What do you guys think?

Here is a picture of the buck:

444009-27-2011_chris_jackson_with_cepheus_3_resized.jpg

64209-27-2011_chris_jackson_with_cepheus_6.jpg

By the way, I found his last years shed only 50 yards from his final resting place.

I don't see any reason why not. Especially if you can narrate it. There might be some purists that don't think it was the right thing to do, but I think it's great that you stayed on it and didn't give up. Good job and nice buck.

Once an animal is wounded, you should take any and all shooting opportunities. You did, and it all worked out.

So, what was the question again?..... Oh ya, INCLUDE IT ALL!

Congrats on a sweet buck,
Zeke

You should have just forgot about him and shot the 170 buck.

:D

Just kidding.

Nice work. I would include it.

show it all. hunting isn't as pretty as everyone thinks. haha..

I applaude you for your determination in doing everything to recover your animal. What you have done shows all hunters and non hunters alike just how much we hunters like and strive to put animals down as quickly as possible.

awesome buck and awesome yet stressful memory deposits for the memory bank!

It was a big bodied 2 point.

I think it should be included... You did everything you could do to get a buck that you knew had been wounded. That's what matters here.

If people dont understand and accept that not every archery shot is a "double lung" shot, they shouldn't be watchin archery videos.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

+1 to travis.

In a world of polished P.C. editing, just show it how it is. Way more cred, in my opinion.

I'd much rather watch the real deal, then some fakey acting shot, that glosses over what really went down.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-11 AT 10:37AM (MST)[p]We've all made bad shots in archery hunting. Fred Bear said that ham shots were lethal if you had the time to wait on the animal. I had a supervisor in Alaska that took a shot at a caribou up on the Dalton Highway aka the "Haul Road". Caught the caribou a little behind the short rib after it went through the ham (the caribou was bedded down I believe). He followed immediately afterwards and got a couple more shots on it to make sure it went down. Good job on the recovery. Anyone who says they never made a bad shot while hunting is either lying or they are just lucky (and bad luck will catch up to them). I have had a couple of bad shots, I recovered both animals so I don't feel as bad about it. It just shows me that I need to be more observant about my shooting lanes and I need to calm down.
WVBOWAK

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I think the general hunting public is tired of staged or altered hunts, give them the real deal.

Anybody with experience can easily pick out details that can falsify your presentation, and everybody knows that first blood is the rule, and anything that happens to make a successful recovery is a good thing.

Thanks everyone. I think I will include the rear end shot as it sounds like you guys agree that it had to be done. I just do not want to give any bunny huggers anything to bich about. After some of the other things I've seen on youtube, it will look pretty ethical. You guys, and gals will be the first ones to see it.

Here is a snap shot out of the video showing the original shot placement. I think you will agree that it does not look too bad. That is about the angle he was to me as well and it buried the arrow with in him. I think it must have gone under the vitals.

3841cepheus_wound.jpg

I am glad it all worked out in the end. He was yellow in his core and a bit on his right front quarter, which I left behind. All the other meat looked good and is cut and in the freezer. I have not yet eaten any but it smelled fine. I sure hope it is good.

Thanks again for the input.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom