opening weekend.

justr_86

Long Time Member
It started at 3:30 saturday morning. walking into our stands I drop my wife off close by her stand and head to mine. I almost get to mine and she calls me. I'm Lost so I head the 2 miles back up to her and on the way I see a cow in the road, Range 45 yards. then comes a 5x6 raghorn bull and I'm kneeling down on the side of the road at full draw Squeezing my release. And my wife starts the truck just over the hill and off they go. So I get her in her stand about 6:30 and almost on the dead run to mine I make it about 7:00.
No sooner than I get there 2 6x6 2 5x5 1 spike and 6 cows come in behind my stand and never give me a shot. A doe and fawn come in and the lead cow comes and runs them off. then one of the 5x5's comes in under my tree stand and I'm shooting straight down couldnt have been any closer unless he climbed the tree. I draw back and go for a shot. shoot over him by less than an inch. He jumps and stands there and sniffs the arrow in the ground next to him and starts eating it. I go to put another arrow on and something is wrong my pants wrapped up in my cam and threw the string off. So I sit there for about 20 minutes while this elk eats my arrow I just shot and him and cant do anything about it. I wanted the throw and arrow at him. Get out of my stand RUN to my truck and fly to Vernal Big foot fly shop and go everything straightened out again and on my way back to the stand. Get up there and see 5 cows and nothing else. My wife didnt see anything. The next morning (sunday)I get up in my stand and have deer all over under me. could have killed 6 bucks. Then its like someone opened a gate I dont know how many elk and deer were running but it was chaos No chance for a shot and there was some good bulls. Then 15 minutes later 5 guys walking through the woods breaking branches talking making alot of noise. walked by no idea I was there. So I sat there and was mad for a few and got out of my stand and was making a circle back to the truck and heard some cow calling just below me. I snuck in as close as I could and saw a bunch of cows I dont know how many but if I had to guess 25 or 30. I sat there hoping a bull would walk in but no luck A yearling cow walked in to 15 yards I figured I better take her. Draw back settle my pin and let it fly. she whirls and runs. I call my wife (which didnt get up at 3:30) to come help me. she comes up and we walk into a cinnomon mom and cub at about 20 yards which was kind of scary. They left. We got my cow out and was going to see if we could stalk something. we jumped a cow, A spike, a doe, a 4 point buck. Found 5 head of elk and I was so proud of her, She made an awesome stalk into 30 yards and made a perfect shot. The elk only made it 20 feet. Sorry no pictures I still have blood on my hands. I will try to post them later just figured I would share my weekend. Good luck to all
kenny

Congrates Kenny,
Sounds like there was never a dull moment this weekeand for both you and your wife. Thanks for sharing.
OMB

There's room for all of God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy.

By the way she shoots an 07 equalizer, gt arrows and muzzy broadheads with 40# weight and 22 inch draw. Her first elk hunt ever. And my first with a bow.

good story, thanks for sharing. sounds like a frustrating start but a great weekend after all...
love to see the pics.

Just4fun

Great story and congrats on the successful hunt. Sound like you and your wife had a great hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom