Oregon Elk ????

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I have 7 NR PP and my son has 6. Not even going to try to draw this year as I'm trying to draw elk and deer in Co with a total of 19 points and I figure on a great chance to draw antelope in NV. Plus there's always the possibility one of the other draws will hit but I'm never that lucky. (3 for 30 would be my best ever)

Anyways, my question is where would you burn 7 NR points in Oregon next year? Looks like the very best I'll never draw and the rest are all reachable this year. I'd even wait a few more years if the quality would go up accordingly. I have horses and equipment to pack in if necessary.

I planned on the High Desert hunt several years ago because of the longer season and either sex hunt. Then as my points accumulated, I started looking towards Murderers Creek. Now that I figure we'll hunt in "08" I'd like to get some input so I can come up with a plan.

this subject was already covered a time or two, but my opinion as I hunted there last year, it's over rated..just my 2 centavos

Murders creek is to crowded with too much road access. Snake river unit has good bulls & good horse trails. JMO. PM me if you want more info.

Ric

If you do not necessarily need a Rocky look into the Roosevelt's Oregon has some of the biggest in the game and the number of hunters is quite a few less. If it was me I would be applying for the Powers Any Bull hunt for Roosevelts. There are some great bull in that hunt. Just be ready to hunt the steepest thickest and nastiest stuff you have ever seen. As far as Rocky mountain elk go. Nothing I would reccommend so to say.

Hope this helps

Dave

Highdesert. Thanks for the input. If it was just me, I'd really consider that. With my son, seeing elk regularly will keep his interst. He's been on 3 hunts and filled twice on opening day and the third was a rifle rut hunt in Utah and we either saw or heard elk everyday. Not sure hiking through the steep rainforest would be his cup of tea.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom