Organ Donors?

grizzlyplumber

Very Active Member
Who here is one?
Somebody very close to me recently was put up for a heart transplant, still very young with 3 kids in the house. He was told it will take about a year for his body size and blood type.
I will admit I wasnt a donor before but I am now.
If you broke a shoelace would you walk past someone who had no shoes to throw them away?
Please consider it and become an organ donor. We need your shoes.

Forty years ago, when I signed up, I still had some useable parts.

I doubt I have anything anybody can reuse, but they are still welcome to whatever they need..........so long as they are willing to wait until I take the "dirt nap".

I have been a donar for a few years now. If I die an early death at least I can help someone in need and maybe give them a new start at life.

I'm a doner...or at least I will be one day. Still using most of my parts at the moment.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My oldest brother was a heart recipient about 2-1/2 yrs. My wife & I are both donors since then.

I'm a donor too, been one for years. Don't know that i possess any parts worth swapping but when i go, they're welcome to them.

Hopefully, it's going to be awhile before mine get used. If i was looking to increase donors, i'd hang out and post info on how to sign up at the rice rocket distributorships. Those guys riding those two wheel bent over style moto's go way too fast and seem like likely soon to be organ donor candidates. :)

Joey

Been a donor for 12 years now. If something were to happen to me I would like to give someone a new lease on life. I know if one of my kids needed it I would be greatfull.

Jdbfair or anyone else that would care to try and answer this question. Out of curiosity, for heart and lung transplant recipients, are they able to have a full recovery? I am not just asking about a normal life but that of the hard core hunters life? Are they ever able to recover fully and exert themselves if they choose to? Just a question I have always wondered about. I do know one person that had a liver transplant, he was/is an alcoholic. No he doesn't drink anymore but at 33 years old he pickled his liver on hard core alcohol. He has made a full recovery and has no limitations other than diet and obviously no alcohol. But what of the heart or lung recipients, can they run, jog or go after that huge once in a lifetime Muley that get that heart rate singing, anyone know?

GBA

The organ donor box is checked "yes" on my drivers license but it makes me nervous. I think there may be some people casting greedy eyes on some of my organs. :) Of course that would exclude my liver.

I read posts on MM everyday but I very rarely post but this topic hits really close to home as I have been on both sides of the issue.

My son was diagnosed with a kidney disease when he was only 18 months old. Shortly after his kidneys failed and had to be removed. After five years on dialysis and several brushes with death he finally received a transplant. Three years later he is doing great and acts like any other kid his age. He will be twelve in August and drew his first deer tag this year.

On the other side, my father passed away unexpectedly a couple of years ago. The decision to donate was an easy one given the experience with my son. I makes me feel good to know we have given back to some degree.

As you can imagine I and my family are all donors. If I am dead, carve me like a turkey. Take whatever you would like if it will help someone else. Why bury what may save another's life?

He has had no complications, is doing great. He does things he hadn't done in 15-20 years. He has no limitations from the doctors, and he doesn't set any for himself. Will find out about the hard core hunter this fall elk hunting in Colorado. Don't expect it to be any problem.

jd I really do hope you will keep us posted on your brother, even if you only send it to me in a private message. I would like to hear how he does on his overnight trip as I would like to do that in a couple years.
I would love to meet your brother, even on the phone, and talk about how his progress is going. Does he live in Az?

Donor here but at this stage of the game I am not sure if I have anything that would help another person. Probably not but who knows and if there is anything that can be salvaged than they are welcome to it.

We're flatlanders , Ks boys. He came up to our elk camp last year for a couple days. Stayed close to camp with 73 yr old dad.
He didn't draw tags with us this year, but wants to go hike the mountains and have some fun this year. Told him he was my pack mule if I got one. Pm me your email.

Organ donating is a wonderful thing. I received a kidney from a cadaveur in 1983 and I am now approaching 63. I was a very health 35 year old until I contracted kidney diease. I was lucky enough to mary my nurse and in 2008 celabrated our 25th at Denali. Tonight I have ice on a shin splint geting ready for a 2 week hike at Glacier. April 13th just marked the 26 year of a wonderful run and I hope for at least another 20 years to watch my new granddaughter get married. Please dont look for one to help with your spelling though

LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-09 AT 10:26PM (MST)[p]I am, this has been a great thread to read.

I am guessing it had encouraged many to be donors as well.

I'm jdbfair's brother. After he told me about this thread I had to join to read all of it. Yes, you can have a full recovery. Of course there are diet rules and medicine plans to follow and have to be careful about infections but other than that the surgeon told me I could do anything I felt like doing. I go to the Y and ride about 7 miles on the stationary bike then walk a mile or two on the track, sometimes running a couple of laps. I am 52 so not young but my legs are what stop the running, not my heart. I have occasionally swam laps in the pool. Altitude in the mountains near Gunnison, Colorado last year did not bother me. Four people who had already had heart transplants told me that when I woke up afterwards I would feel 20-30 years younger. They weren't lying! This is all thanks to a 25 year old young man who through his family chose to donate his organs. My daughter is now on the kidney transplant list and I'm hoping someone as generous comes along for her.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom