Oryx jitters!!!!!

tylerbenelli

I think im more then excited for this hunt I drew the Afghanistan returnee for Rhodes canyon in February luckily ill be here for this awesome once and a lifetime hunt. I honestly thought I wouldn't be back in time for it; however, now all the online planning must begin :) and I'm at a cross road I want to take a guide but I have never used a guide in my life I take pride in being a DIY guy. and i have tons of family and friends that want to go with me. I have read through every trend I can find on Oryx and have noticed that most people seem to drive and glass. would I be putting myself at a disadvantage if I walked more I want to find un-pressured animals because Im one of them guys that thinks I can do this with a bow! Any suggestions? and am I crazy for doing this OIL hunt with a bow?

Its hard to understand your post but if I'm reading this right I'm guessing you want to go DIY with a bow???

good luck. Your gonna need it.

First, congrats on drawing the tag, and thanks for your service.

I consider myself to be a bowhunter, maybe not as hardcore as some, but most of my best hunting experiences have been with bow in hand.

I've also been on a few hunts for Oryx, including several on Rhodes. Considering the overall situation on these hunt, I do think that trying to hunt these critters with a bow is crazy. I might go so far as to admit that your best chances of success with archery equipment might be with a guide that just might know of a couple of spots to get away from the rest of the traffic.

Be safe, good luck with your hunt, and let us know how it goes.

Dave

welcome back troop its always good to be home . my advice is the same as most on here would give you. leave the bow at home pick up a riffel and practice practice practice 300 minimum , dont practice on a bench all day ither my suggestion is to practice fiering on sticks offhand unsuported etc etc . not too many chances to throw down some bypods and getting a steady shot so be ready.

It is possible, but would be very difficult. I went on my OIL Rhodes Canyon hunt and used a muzzleloader. I killed a cow at about 70-80 yards that was a bit over 39" and was the longest one killed on that hunt.
In that same herd I had a broken horn oryx at 20 yards and a smaller intact one that was within 50 yards.

My tactic was to drive and glass. We bedded a herd in the creosote and did a long stalk to get behind them and then I crawled in until I was very close. They eventually stood up and I got my shot.

sorry yeah I just got a typing, maybe a little to much caffeine and excitement. I am going to try it with my bow! but I guess what I was trying to say, is it worth it to hire a guide? I really want to do this DIY but I dont want to blow this OIL tag I've heard of guys doing it with their archery gear I think Im equipped mentally and physically for the challenge; basically I live and breath bowhunting and I wouldn't want to do this any other way! my heart would hurt if i didnt do it with my bow ;)

Here you go Tyler. Some pics to get you excited.

My dads oryx this past JAN 36" cow Rhodes Canyon
8392100_1260.jpg

My uncle's in 39" cow Rhodes Canyon
1798tio_ray_oryx_007.jpg

My moms in Stallion 27" cow
1273mom_oryx_019.jpg

My oryx in stallion Jan of 2010 39" on the good side
8922100_1535.jpg

Here are some links to the stories some things to pass the time.

My dads oryx
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID34/4104.html
My uncles
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=2899&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes
My moms
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b..._thread&om=2782&forum=DCForumID34&archive=yes

I cant find the story to mine due to it was a few years ago.

Here is a Hunt Adventure Challenge post I did last year of all our hunts to also help pass the time.
2011 HAC
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID52/28.html

And here is this years HAC in the process.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID55/4.html

Hope this helps pass some time. Again thank you for your service and get home safe brother.

ElkSniper

Congrats on drawing an oryx tag, especially a returning vet one. I drew mine a few years ago except mine was for Stallion. From what I understand your hunt on Rhodes is better these days. I do not see any reason to use a guide for this hunt. It takes away from your own success if you harvest an animal. There is no secret to hunting oryx on the missle range. Yes if you walk around you will waste time, you need to cover ground to find them. After the first day they are all pretty spooked so I would recomend spending your first day looking for a nice one, then the second day just make sure you fill the freezer. But please do not get a guide, if you do you might as well let him hang the mount in his living room.

hey thanks 82ndreddevil yeah i was pretty excited about the tag and had no clue what its like but now that I have talked to a bunch of people i decided to not take a guide. I am going to have some sure footed buddies with me and great eyes to so i decided to try it with my bow but have a rifle as a backup if they will let me do that. now I just cant wait to get back and do some archery 3d shoots I might even try to get my bow sent here to do some practice till next time happy hunting :) and thanks everyone else for the advice and inputs

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom