OTC archery deer help

VTelkchaser

We are new to AZ, and have settled in Avondale. I know there are lots of over the counter archery deer tags available . I am a bit overwhelmed by all of the units that I have to chose from. Not knowing any of the areas I feel like I would be better off blindfolding myself and throwing a dart at the map.

I'm not asking for exact locations or honey holes but would greatly appreciate any pointers on which units are better than others.

Welcome to AZ!

OTC deer hunting here in AZ can be awesome (or very frustrating....)! A lot of it depends on what type of terraine you like to hunt. There are OTC deer tags in the desert ('30 & 40' units....) to the spruces, and everything in between (19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24....). As for locations, my advice would be to grab your .22 or shotgun and spend some weekends chasing small game in some of the desert or Rim units. It will give you the lay of the land and the time spent in the field will help you formulate an opinion of what type of country you want to hunt. You might also find some water holes in your outings! ;-)

Also, be sure your expectations are realistic. Not sure where you moved from, but if you're from East of the Rockies then 'Western' hunting might be a bit of a shock.

Good luck!

S.

Thanks Stanley, we moved from Utah where the general (non permit) hunts were much simpler to figure out. Here, there are what 50 plus units to chose from? My son, 10, and I have been qual and dove hunting with great success but the area has no deer sign at all. I will keep looking, thanks again.

Good deal with the dove/quail success! Those can sometimes be hard to come by too! ;-)

Deer densities in the majority of the units will be much different than Utah. I sent you a PM that may help.....

S.

:)

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-14 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]Great advice from all...
I will be hunting the late season OTC mule deer bow hunt. It looks to be a fairly good year because of all the monsoon rains.
But, the overall deer numbers are down and that could be a problem...

Stop Global Whining

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom