OTC archery elk in 81 or 78?

Trad Bow 1979

I am a NM resident and I have hunted OTC elk in unit 81before. Felt like I was sitting in a pumpkin patch at times but it sure beat being at home! Plus I did get to see a few bulls. The heavy snow prevented me from me from getting up higher or deeper into the woods, thankfully the elk were hanging down low anyway.
the place I hunted in 81 was down south around Trujillo meadows, grouse creek, and Spruce hole.
This year I am going archery instead of rifle. Should I look in the same areas I hunted during rifle or should I seek higher ground or go further north for the archery hunt? I kind of got my eyes up around the La Jara resivoir.
or should I look at unit 78? Thanks for your time guys!

If you know a little about the area in Trujillo meadows and Spruce hole, I would stick to that area rather than hit the la jara resevoir. The la jara resevoir is usually jam-packed with hunters every season. Plus there are numerous roads that the road hunters use. More so than up around Trujillo meadows. There are a few roads but you are closer to the wilderness side where the you might have the opportunity to get away form everybody. But aside from all that, where the elk are during september will depend on the weather and how much rain we get. If we get alot of rain, hands down Trujillo meadows area. The elk will stay up high. If we get minimal rain, where the water is, the elk will be. But these are all my opinions of growing up here and hunting every year. I have no idea about 78, except up by elwood/wolf creek pass.
All in all pretty much everywhere in southern colorado you hunt you will run into other hunters. I saw 100% more archery hunters last year in the conejos canyon that I have ever seen, including rifle hunting.

Yes I am very familiar with the trujillo meadows and spruce hole, I hunted there in 2010 with a rifle. We had a heck of a snow storm, saw a few bulls between Neff mountain and Grouse creek. That year I scouted during the archery hunt and saw tons of deer, but no elk. I would like to deffinately hit that area again if I find some sign there. Thanks for the info!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom