OTC is no joke!

Bloodtrail

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-16 AT 01:21PM (MST)[p]Like the rest of you that have persued these animals, I also have spent countless hours, miles, hundreds of gallons of FUEL & precious time away from my family looking for these guys. Here's proof that the power of prayer & never giving up really does pay off. I was begining to think these things didn't exist. After years of glassing, walking, butt busting roads, worn out boots, shocks & fuel this day finally came. Being that I have only seen one in my entire life out there, I knew I had to run into another eventually & that day came yesterday. He is not big, but I had to start somewhere & am very proud to have gotten the opportunity, this is when I realized why I do this stuff. Did I mention how much fuel I've gone through. Can't wait till I draw a unit to seek a monster, until then I will continue the gruelling OTC adventure. Cheers!

7374011916132022.jpg

27730119161337b32.jpg

6990119161344c.jpg

Gives me hope that big foot really does exist...

Much congrats--you've accomplished what I have not yet been able to do.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-16
>AT 01:21?PM (MST)

>
>Like the rest of you that
>have persued these animals, I
>also have spent countless hours,
>miles, hundreds of gallons of
>FUEL & precious time away
>from my family looking for
>these guys. Here's proof that
>the power of prayer &
>never giving up really does
>pay off. I was begining
>to think these things didn't
>exist. After years of glassing,
>walking, butt busting roads, worn
>out boots, shocks & fuel
>this day finally came. Being
>that I have only seen
>one in my entire life
>out there, I knew I
>had to run into another
>eventually & that day came
>yesterday. He is not big,
>but I had to start
>somewhere & am very proud
>to have gotten the opportunity,
>this is when I realized
>why I do this stuff.
>Did I mention how much
>fuel I've gone through. Can't
>wait till I draw a
>unit to seek a monster,
>until then I will continue
>the gruelling OTC adventure. Cheers!
>
>

The size of the horns does not matter on this hunt! You got a very rare trophy that most of us dream of, even seeing one of those rare creatures on a OTC unit is a dream come true, good job!

This is the second one of these posts I've read recently about a Barbary sheep being killed on an OTC tag. Is it really that rare? I've been interested in hunting one of these but haven't researched them yet. I will start tonight. :) Congrats to you bloodtrail! If you lived here in Cali, your fuel bill would be much greater.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Great job man!! Its a great accomplishment and that feeling you get after all that hard work pays off is one of a kind!! Congrats on the trophy!!

>This is the second one of
>these posts I've read recently
>about a Barbary sheep being
>killed on an OTC tag.
>Is it really that rare?
>I've been interested in hunting
>one of these but haven't
>researched them yet. I will
>start tonight. :) Congrats to
>you bloodtrail! If you lived
>here in Cali, your fuel
>bill would be much greater.
>
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Yes, they really are that rare. All of my life out beating the hills I have only ever seen one barbary and it was a nice ram and we killed it with the OTC tag. In my opinion I think your more likely to find a bigfoot than a barbary!

I want to say a big Thank you to all of you for the wonderful support & kind words. You all make it that much better. I still can't stop smiling.
I'm going to make my first steak tonight! A lot of people have told me they taste like garbage. I didn't care, I made a vow to eat every ounce no matter what it tastes like.

Anyone have any good recipes?
Roasts, crock pot w/bbq, grill, fajitas, enchiladas??????

congrats on getting it done, especially after all the effort you put in!!! it's a beautiful tropy!!!

We met a guy on an antelope hunt a few years ago that had killed one. He made some slim jim style jerky (think he mixed it with some pork). He gave us a couple of sandwich baggies of it and have to admit it was very good. If the steaks don't turn out well this might be an option.

congrats again!

As long as the meat was taken care of properly, it should be awesome! Barbary is one of my favorite. The only complaint on Rams is they are tough, but flavor is great.

I like to make most of mine into burger meat, then fix as you would any other wild or non wild meat. Green chille stew, hamburgers, enchiladas, spaghetti sauce, etc. But really anyway you can break the meat down to get out the toughness, should be great.

Congrats on an awesome trophy! I have a hard enough time finding them on the draw areas let alone OTC. You da man!

Travis

I've killed/eaten several. You are likely to find that steaks are TOUGH. Taste great, but even sawing with a steak knife is hard.

I grind it all into burger and it's great that way.

Carl

I had one small 20" ram that was gamey. I think that was because I had to shoot that one three times as it took a long time to die. All of my others (including two much larger rams) may have been a little tough to chew, but otherwise were very good tasting. I occasionally make jerky or grind it, but most the time I just trim all the fat and sinew off the steaks and serve them up medium rare with my favorite steak sauce.

Congrats on a nice sheep amigo! OTC is as tough as it gets. One thing I will say is now that you found them...keep it as quiet as you possibly can. Sheep spots are very very few and very very far between. As far as the meet, I've eaten a few and have been extremely happy with the meat. Flavor is great but is tough as other have mentioned. Ground, jerky and stew meat type cuts have been great for me.

Congrats again. Sheep are awesome! Glad you were able to track one down!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-29-16 AT 03:03PM (MST)[p]Thank you very much,
The secret is safe with me!
I had several pictures but only posted the ones that showed the sky & NO background terrain.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom