Out goes the elk, in comes the deer.

BaldBeaver

First let me say thank you to everyone that was willing to provide me information for this coming up fall on a Northern General elk rifle hunt. I learned alot from you all. With that being said, apparently I will not be elk hunting this fall, as I will be helping a Captain that I work with in the Ruby Mountains. With that being said, I am going to be at a store in utah the morning of the 27th to purchase a tag for the northern deer any legal weapon hunt. The problem I am having is that I dont know wether I should go to Box Elder or the North slope of the Uintas. I am being told that there are far more deer and hunters in box elder, but that I have more space on the North Slope and a better chance at a more mature buck. What are your thoughts on this, and if you have any pointers, I am all ears.
~BaldBeaver

I would think the WEST BOX ELDER unit would be a better choice....be patient and you will find the deer/decent bucks

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-11 AT 11:24AM (MST)[p]Uintahs all the way. Box Elder will be crawling with orange.

And I will be one of those orange crawlers, if you catch what I mean.

Northern still has tags but you better be there the day they go on sale. West Box Elder will be crawling with orange but you can still kill deer and have a ton of fun seeing all the deer out there.

It really depends on what you want to kill. You will be hard pressed to find a mature buck in Box Elder unless you do your homework. The pressure there is ridiculous and I'm surprized a buck can even live 4 years in some of those areas like "Yost". If you are happy with a two point or the 2 inch spikes that most people kill each year, go to Box Elder.
If you want to hunt the thick pines and aspens head to the Uintas. There is plenty of country but the deer are scattered and sometimes hard to find. But if you hunt hard, you may find a nice buck.

It's really a toss up but the info you got is correct

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom