Outfitters

Litch

Hello,
I have tried the last couple of years to get in touch with Outfitters and I haven't had any luck getting a return call. I am sitting on 21 non resident Elk points and would like to cash in soon, does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable Elk Outfitter? Have done many DIY deer hunt in northwest Colorado but with this many points I would like to go with an Outfitter to increase my chances in an area I am not familiar with.
I have 13 non resident Deer and will probably put in for 21 as that is an area I am very familiar with as well as 22.
Thanks for any help.

Colorado has by far the least reliable and least dedicated outfitter network of any state of the union. It's like you're trying to sell them Amway products the way they avoid you, I don't get it.

I'm not sure what 21 points will get you I have 25 and I can't find a tag I'm excited about. good luck.

I don’t think 21 points is going to get you a lot. It won’t get most of the tags in 2,10,201,40,61 or 851. Might get an archery or 4th season in 40.

So what will it get you? Unit 76 might be an option, 49 or 20 late. Unit 76 and 49 are mostly horseback public land not private ranches but there could be a private ranch.

So you need to determine which units you can draw. The Colorado Outfitters Association web site will let you search for outfitters by unit. But that won’t show all of the outfitters, only the ones that are members.

With 21 points you have dropped from a top tier to a middle tier hunt.

Is there a sleeper private ranch somewhere that you can draw? There might be but I don’t know where it is.

Colorado has by far the least reliable and least dedicated outfitter network of any state of the union. It's like you're trying to sell them Amway products the way they avoid you, I don't get it.

I'm not sure what 21 points will get you I have 25 and I can't find a tag I'm excited about. good luck.

unfortunately all of this is true, especially the first part. All you need to do to book hunters in CO is answer the freeking phone and have an opening. But I suppose when everyone and their brother is throwing money at you for an OTC hunt with 0-20% success why in heck would you try?

21 NR points will get you hunt you're gonna have to physically work you're butt off to get a 300+ elk, ie 40 in steep country or 76 in the high country. Youre going have to wait another 10 years if you wanna trade in your points, hire an outfitter whack an easy one and drive the side by side to it. Or pay 12-15k for a private land deal where points dont matter.

Last edited:

Me too- sitting on lots of points for all species, but nothing I want to drop them on- more areas not worth it , period- winter kills, shot out areas thanks to too many tags for years & years, private lands, on & on- just a Cluster every which way !!!! It’s a mess. Wyoming is a wreck too from Winter 🥶 Kills & now bad discriminating NR prices & restrictions. Bleak everywhere. Very disgusting overall ! I call it as I see it.
Jerry Gold- in Windsor, Colorado

unfortunately all of this is true, especially the first part. All you need to do to book hunters in CO is answer the freeking phone and have an opening. But I suppose when everyone and their brother is throwing money at you for an OTC hunt with 0-20% success why in heck would you try?

21 NR points will get you hunt you're gonna have to physically work you're butt off to get a 300+ elk, ie 40 in steep country or 76 in the high country. Youre going have to wait another 10 years if you wanna trade in your points, hire an outfitter whack an easy one and drive the side by side to it. Or pay 12-15k for a private land deal where points dont matter.
10 years more?!? You must not have run the numbers lately. I think it’s gonna be very realistic to take 50-60 points to get a 10,2,201 tag. Essentially you gotta get started in your teens and outlive everybody else. The amount of guys with 20+ points going for those 20-30 good tags a year means it’ll be 100+ years based only on supply and demand. Guys have to die in order for point creep to slow down anymore unfortunately

Thank you for the replies.
I guess I should have made it clear Im. needing to cash in. I completely understand point creep and I am nowhere near close to a premium tag. I'm just looking for a middle of the road hunt with a reliable outfitter. My back isn't going to hold up long enough to draw a premium, I need to cash in while I can still hunt relatively hard.

10 years more?!? You must not have run the numbers lately. I think it’s gonna be very realistic to take 50-60 points to get a 10,2,201 tag. Essentially you gotta get started in your teens and outlive everybody else. The amount of guys with 20+ points going for those 20-30 good tags a year means it’ll be 100+ years based only on supply and demand. Guys have to die in order for point creep to slow down anymore unfortunately

Ya you aint lyin! Point creep on the 2, 201 early tag is 1 point per year for NRs. Unless youre already there, you never will be.

Me too- sitting on lots of points for all species, but nothing I want to drop them on- more areas not worth it , period- winter kills, shot out areas thanks to too many tags for years & years, private lands, on & on- just a Cluster every which way !!!! It’s a mess. Wyoming is a wreck too from Winter 🥶 Kills & now bad discriminating NR prices & restrictions. Bleak everywhere. Very disgusting overall ! I call it as I see it.
Jerry Gold- in Windsor, Colorado
No points used on this wall. A 315 has a spot when it gets finished at the beetle bin.

20230630_202320.jpg

I don’t think 21 points is going to get you a lot. It won’t get most of the tags in 2,10,201,40,61 or 851. Might get an archery or 4th season in 40.

So what will it get you? Unit 76 might be an option, 49 or 20 late. Unit 76 and 49 are mostly horseback public land not private ranches but there could be a private ranch.

So you need to determine which units you can draw. The Colorado Outfitters Association web site will let you search for outfitters by unit. But that won’t show all of the outfitters, only the ones that are members.

With 21 points you have dropped from a top tier to a middle tier hunt.

Is there a sleeper private ranch somewhere that you can draw? There might be but I don’t know where it is.
I agree with this! 20 Late can be a great hunt! Comanche Wilderness Outfitters would be the one I'd call for that hunt.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom