Packing going rate?

DoeNob

I have a couple of packers I have talked to. The one for our unit is going to be like $555 a day to get an elk out, there's one that has the permit in the unit next door that would be like $300 a head, but would require us to pack it out 1-2 miles to the border of the unit so he could pick it up.

The way the forest service works you are kind of stuck using whoever has the permit for your area, what is a fair price for this kind of service?

And doing it ourselves would be 7 miles out and probably eat up 1-2 days of a 7 day hunt per animal.

You seem to be up to speed on this subject. How do you find the permited packers in the unit you are about to hunt? Is there a special website or something to click on in the NF site?

I have found a packer that can only work in one section of my LE unit. Since I still don't know where I'm going to zero in on, I want to have options in the whole unit.

Can you direct me?
Thanks in advance
Griz

I charge 350$ to pack a animal out. Unit 61 and 62.Does that really seem like too much? After the forest service fees and required insurance,fuel,horses,and guide too retreive the game?
Good thing I love what I do,But I am a rancher, so I am used to not making money!
One thing about packing,everybody is glad to see me.

When I checked on the Flat Tops the packers were getting right at $250/animal. Even at $350 I'd pay it compared to carrying a bull out on my back 5 miles one way.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

If i was going to hunt bull elk and planned on hunting far from camp or a road,I would locate a packer like you and pay the fee.
Like was said. The stock,tack and all the fees involved ,it is not cheap to run a pack service.I have not used one in arround 15 years but if hunting for a bull elk in the mountains ,I would have one located before I went hunting.

Dominguez, that sounds fair to me!!! If I ever draw 61 elk will have you on speed dial and communicate with you prior to the hunt. If I down a elk more than a mile off a road, $350 is fair and I would be sure that the meat, cape and all get's out in a timely manner without spoilage.

I paid to have Dominguez pack me out last year and it was well worth it. I didnt think I was going to make it out with just the horns, let alone the meat.

Would pay for a pack service in bear country for sure!

CABugle

I also have dominguez's phone# programed in my phone. My conversations with him have always been positive and I would not hesitate to call him.

Before you die.....Take time to live

$350 seem like a cheap deal to me and I have horses and mules.
I can't trailer them there for that price.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

+1 for Dominguez rate!
This year I've been planning for my sheep hunt starting in a few weeks. I'm packing in with my brother (sort of piggy backing on his archery elk hunt) using his stock. Talk about painful planning...! This experience helped me understand how affordable packing services and drop camps really are (buying specialized equipment that you will hardly ever use again like panniers, planning meals for the group for a week, getting feed packed in or having to move horses around to different meadows to graze because there's no good grass where we're going). I love DIY hunts but a pack service would really be a nice option (I was quoted $500 by one outfitter in that area to pack us out).
I also have a 61 first rifle bull tag and I REALLY hope I get to meet dominguez in person :)
ds

If Packer was already in area and running trips back and forth from trailhead, i can see where it would be cheaper. If packer is starting from scratch, catches & loads up horses, trailers to area, unloads and saddles horses, Rides to location, loads pack horses, rides back out to trailer..... i can't picture doing it for less than $350.00

I used a outfitter in unit 66 twice, once $200 and next time was $250. And I tipped the wrangler and they provided a riding horse, which the last time got side ways with me and tried to buck me off. I have contacted a outfitter in unit 77 and he has a flat rate of $350. He only operates from trailhead to avoid trailering the horses. Both experiences were well worth the money and made for a fun day riding in the mountains. The wrangler took me a old stock drive trail, which cut off over 1.5 miles. With hay prices at record highs anything under $500 is probably worth the money. My only advice is evenly quarter the animal, get it hung up in the shade, because if they have guided hunters that get animals down too the paying hunters come first, which is understandable.

I pack camps in as well,rates differ as distance,terrain,amount of supplies,number of hunters in the group,and whose camp I use,yours or mine.

The price I came up with is,

1. 1000$ for two people. 300$ for each add on.

2.500$ added to use my camp, tents cots everything except food and bedding.

3. Some places are difficult to navigate, extra charges may apply.

Do these prices seem fair?

comparable?

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-12 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]The Bull I shot last season was only about one mile from a trail head, down in a bowl maybe 400 feet in elevation. It took my hunting partner & I close to 10 hours to quarter it out and pack all the meat to the ATVs. My buddy spent the whole next hunting day recovering (we are both a little over 50 yeard old). I would have paid at least $350 for that short pack-out, and I'm not a wealthy man.

> I charge 350$ to pack
>a animal out. Unit 61
>and 62.Does that really seem
>like too much? After the
>forest service fees and required
>insurance,fuel,horses,and guide too retreive the
>game?
> Good thing I love what
>I do,But I am a
>rancher, so I am used
>to not making money!
> One thing about packing,everybody is
>glad to see me.

I may be making a trip from Texas to unit 62 this fall. How do I contact you? I made a trip in 2000 to this unit. I shot a 6x5 opening morning. A packer charged me $200 to get it to my truck. Best $200 I've ever spent.

You might try Mark Campbell he has an outfitters license South of Walden. His number is 970-630-3665.

Once again...does anyone know any packers that are permitted in the central and/or southern part of unit 61?
I spoke to dominguez about the northern section. Seems like a stand up guy with a good sence of humor, and well recomended. That said I still wish to have an option if I chose to hunt outside his permit area. I agree that it would be money well spent, especially if I kill in the 1st 4 days of my hunt. I will be solo until day 5.

Thanks again in advance
Griz

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom