Parallax Affecting Point of Impact at Various Ranges!?

FullCurlHunter

My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight chambered in 300 Weatherby was a tack driver and with the very same load as I regularly shot .5 inch groups with at 100 yards recently shot as follows.

100 yards, great .5 inch group 3 inches high. I could cover the 6 shot group witha quarter.

I cleaned the barrel and went down to 300 yards. I adjusted the side paralax from 100 to 300 to accomdate the yardage change. I en started hitting 7-8 inches high where I then had to re sight in to be dead on at 100.

I went out again today adjusted paralax to 100 and from a clean barrel I was 3.5 inches high at 100 with sub par groups. I took it out to 300 adjsuted paralax to 300 yard setting and then shot 5 inches low at 300 where the previous day at the range I was dead on at 300 yards.

Have you ever heard of adjusting the parallax and it greatly affecting the point of impact at various ranges? I think something is messed up with my scope and this is the only variable I can think of besides shooting with swivel bipods.

What are your guys' thoughts on swivel bipods, my dad thinks it is the swivel bipods throwing everything off. I think it is something to do with my scope. It is a Zeis 4.5-14x44mm conquest never been biumped ever...

Thanks for your thoughts

If the bipods was effecting the grouping, you would have seen that also at 100 yards. bipods can sometimes cause the shots to string out, usually vertical, but it would have done it at 100 also.
Based on your infro. you got a internal scope problem, send it back to factory. The 300 weatherby has enought recoil to knock the internal parts loose. sounds like you bought a scope that was made on Monday and the tech who put it together had a hangover from Sunday night.

RELH

Did you shoot with the bipod one day and without the other?
One of my rifles impacts 6" higher at 400 yards while using the Harris bipod.

Doug~RR

I'd agree with RELH, if your rifle is bedded or free floated properly theres no reason a bipod should have any effect on the barrel. resting on a solid surface like a rock or log can cause a rifle to jump and shoot high though.

I'm not sure how effective parallax adjustments on scopes real are. if you want to get a feel for it put a lazer bore sight in the barrel and then aim at something looking through the scope. the point of impact will change around on you more than I ever imagined, I think a lot of problems like yours can be explained this way. sighting through the scope constistantly the same way is important for extreme accuracy.

It would have to be because it's too solid, does it do it when you're in dirt or just when the bipod is on the bench?

Lets make this easy to determine the problem. Remove bipod and shoot from sand bags at the range. if you still have a problem, remove the scope and replace it with another one you have and go shoot. This should narrow the problem down to the scope or bipod. I bet the scope goes back to the factory for repair.

RELH

Scope power remains at 14 at all times. When I shoot at 100 yards, I have parallax set to 100 yard setting. When I shoot at 300 yards, I move paralax to 300 yard setting. That is the only variable that changes...

That's good. Then I would suggest RELH's post #5...just wittle down the variables.

Good luck,

Jim

JUST BECAUSE YOU SET THE PARALLAX AT 300 YARDS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TAKEN THE PARALLAX OUT OF THE SCOPE. 300 YARDS IS JUST A REFERANCE.
TO SET THE PARALLAX YOU SHOULD HAVE THE GUN IN A SOLID REST, WHILE ADJUSTING THE PARALLAX MOVE YOU HEAD UP AND DOWN UNTIL THE CROSS HAIRS STOP MOVING ON THE TAGET. THAN YOU HAVE TAKEN ALL THE PARRALLAX OUT OF THE SCOPE. I YOU HAVE NOT TAKEN ALL THE PARALLAX OUT AND YOU DO NOT PUT YOUR HEAD THE SAME SPOT ON THE STOCK WHEN SHOOTING YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE SAME POINT OF AIM.
GOOD LUCK.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom