Partition or bonded bullets for elk

Whiterock

Very Active Member
What do you like best ,partition or bonded bullet for elk ? I know either will do the job if placed right,but whats your input.

I look at it this way, the debate will be are the bonded bullets as good as a partition.

I've killed lots of elk with lots of bullets starting with the partition, now I'm back to the partition. it just works, it always works.

Stay thirsty my friends

I watched my buddy Russell shoot a great
bull at about 200 yards twice with a 140
grain Partition out of a .280

It damned sure worked.

But some of these new bullets,
shouldn't be ignored.

I'm a HUGE Barnes fan.

They're stuff works.

They're Muzz bullets are
the bomb.

I'd see which one was the most accurate
in my rifle, and go with that

I shoot a 150 grain Nosler Partition out of my .270 and I love it! I shot a cow elk this year and she didn't go 20 yards. The bullet entered a little lower than I anticipated right behind the right front shoulder. It went through both sides of the rib cage (taking out the heart in between) and then completely shattered the upper bone in the off side front leg. I have always shot Partitions and have done the job perfectly if I do my job. However, some of those Barnes bullets are awfully tempting to try out. The Partition has just never given me a reason to switch!

I like the Barnes too, but after taking about 10 elk and a moose with them I came back to the partition. I can't say the TSX ever let me down, but I can see how they could. I've had hits with the TSX that required tracking that I'm 99% sure would not have with the partition.

The TTSX might help I haven't tried them on game. I doubt I will, the partition is that good.

Stay thirsty my friends

It depends on how you plan to hunt. Partitions are great for normal distances and hit really hard breaking bone and drive deep. Thing is they don't carry the high BC most bonded core balistic tipped bullets do... like the Accubond.

Shooting at longer ranges, the bonded core bullets are the way to go. They have higher BCs to shoot flatter and once they arrive they expand to provide the bone breaking hydrostatic shock to stop game.

Another thing to consider is your rifle may shoot one type more accurately than the other, need to do some work on the range to know for sure.

Yep, having your cake and eating it too is what drives bullet makers forward..I was thinkin maybe nosler hit it out of the park with the LRAB, but am having my doubts.

The partition does just fine at long range, accuracy can be as good as most other bullets too. the BC is lower that's true, but for ultra long range there are better bullets than the bonded ones anyway.

I can't find any LRAB to try, I was at Nosler last week and they didn't have any at all either.

They don't shoot? that's my gripe with the accubonds I was hoping these would be better.

Stay thirsty my friends

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom