"Permit" to hunt shed horns in Utah?

ditchparrot

Anyone hear about the UDOW (Utah Divison Of Wildlife) and how they are considering selling permits (license's) to gather sheds? On top of the shed season dates, it's becoming a joke! Pretty soon you will need a "permit" to have all the other "permits" you need to do anything!

I hope it's just rumors I've been hearing.

What do you guys think?

I'd rather that shed hunting didn't have seasons or permits or anything but the way it is going, I'm starting to think the permit may not be so bad. My concern is that if they require a permit, that they fine those who don't have a permit. One or two finds and the cost of the permit is moot...

The bigger problem is convincing the powers that be that shed hunting is a viable, acceptable, safe, and healthy outdoor activity when done properly. With all the ATV's and trespassers and poachers and season jumpers, that is gonna be hard.

It seems like all states are trying to figure out what to do about shed hunting. While I believe it is great recreation, it seems that things are getting out of hand. I would bet there are people who would rather hunt sheds than hunt deer or elk. In Nevada, the Fish & Game is trying to figure out what problems shed hunting may be causing and what to do about it. I've heard lots of suggestions including seasons, permits, and preventing shed collection altogether. Around Ely, people chase elk on motorcycles and 4-wheelers trying to push the animals through the trees to knock off their antlers. Around Pioche, out-of-state folks use paraplanes to do the same thing. Shed hunting has grown into a huge recreational pursuit. I agree that something probably has to be done, but whatever is done will penalize the 98% of people who do it right and reward the 2% who cause the problems.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-08 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]I'm with toughshed, dont really want to see a season or permits, but at the same time we need somthing to help. The shed season is'nt working anyways (up north) everyone is still out "hiking" and stashing.

I'm not from Utah, so I can only imagine the problem. Why doesn't the DOW designate areas as wintering grounds and not allow anybody in those areas until June 1 or some data. That includes the hikers, fisherman, horn hunters, etc. And the DOW should get off their lazy butts and patrol the area. Anyone caught in there gets a hefty fine and jail time. Not a little slap on the wrist like most offenses. Make an example out of a couple of people and surely the poachers and stashers would learn. I don't know though, some of them are totally ignorant and would do it some how. I guess I'm glad I'm not from there and don't have to worry about a bunch of idiots ruin it for the rest. Hope Utah can get something figured out, so the rest of us don't have to read all the complaints, and we can get back to how this website used to be. Seems like no one wants to post a pic anymore because they are afraid someone will recognize the area and lose a good honey hole. Anyhow, good luck.

I was recently talking to a RAC member who has several ties with BLM and DWR and he asked my opinion on a shed season and permit. I told him it would be a joke and ridiculous to do it, you cant stop the traffic indefinitely for a 3 months a year. What about gaining accesses to private land or ranchers moving there cattle or farmers plowing there land? I told him that these problem causers are already breaking a law, rather its wildlife harassment or driving of a designated trail. If they are ignorant to these laws what stops them from ignoring a new law? He agreed with me and was going to talk to his ties and try to avoid a season altogether in Utah and a permit. They need to just worry about the laws that are already being broken and enforce them and have a stricter penalty. I hope his influence will help us all out. If you were out with your family on a hike and you kid found a horn and you didnt have a shed license or it was out of season it would be hard to tell your excited kid that he has to leave it there. I am sure there will be people out there that disagree with me and thats ok we all are entitled to our own opinions I just dont want to see all the public land shut down for a few peoples laziness, but I would rather see it done if it is enforced and the animals arnt stressed and are able to raise fawns/calves and continue to replenish the herds.
Blacky

i have heard of utah charging permits to shed hunt in the future.via a family member that works for the dwr. i am kind of flip flop on this issue i have friends who would much rather find sheds than wait numerous years to draw a tag or hunt for that matter and they should be able to do so as they please.on the other hand a permit fee might help them and the animals out.some of the money if it were up to me all from these permits would go to the animals wintering range for vegetation and such. also it might just get rid of some of those people who could careless about the animals and wildlife that ruin it for those who honestly care and do it ethicaly thus leaving more sheds

I torn on the permit thing, on one hand in Utah you have to have a permit to film your hunts or animals if you intend to sell the vidoes and make money sooo then why is it ok to make money off those same horns after they hit the ground? But what about most the people who are out there for fun, with the famiy etc.
Something really needs to be done about the shed situation though. Its gotton out of hand.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting HOLY SH!T WHAT A RIDE!!!

The biggest problem I have with it, is that it's going to be the honest guy that is going to get screwed. It's that way in most everything in todays society.

I personally would probably buy a permit, until I see how many others aren't and getting away with not having one. I just don't think it will fix the problem and I don't think there is a way to correct the problem. People are going to chase animals because people are too greedy, simple as that.

It's easy to watch cow elk hunters in mid-January chasing animals and shooting at them all over the winter ranges. There are just too many people involved with too many activities in too few of areas that animals rely on that time of year. Don't get me wrong, I am out there with everybody else doing what I enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-08 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]i do not know what you mean buy honest guy getting screwed it is not like you are going to be paying thousands of dollars for a permit.like i said iam both ways on this matter but if i have to pay 20 dollars or so to do what i like to i am not going to complain much i can thing of many more exspensive hobbies besides some of the money could help the animals and their winter range and then we all win

Let's first look at the problems, people chasing deer and elk of road on motorcycles and atvs. Or people chasing animals on foot to get them to drop. Well there are already laws in place to keep people from off roading and from harassing animals. These laws are not being enforced so why should we make more laws that will also not be enforced seems kind of stupid to me! Why don't we enforce the laws we have this would cut down on the problem greatly. Lets address the issues at hand not create an entire new one.

That makes much sense, but the one question I have is why are the current laws not being enforced? Could it be that enforcing these laws will cost more than is currently available in State Budgets?

This will happen. I talked to a fish cop the other day and he told me that next year they are going to make the shed season state wide. He also said that in the future you will not be able to pick them up without a permit. This permit would only allow you to get pick up so many green ones, only about 1 four point and only one set. He also said that they want to make it illegal to pick up sheds anytime of the year. Utah has really gone to pot, with wildlife management. This would be almost as bad as giving out so many dang doe permits. What's the difference between a few guys on a hill taking a hike versus a cyote or any other animal? How are they gonna stop the skiers and hiker? Are they going to make it illegal to even be within 1000 yards of wildlife? What is this coming to? We have got to take a stand! Everyone go out whenever they want! They cant stop everybody.

This whole shed huntin season started with the sellers. This sport was not big until the 2000 era. We'd go and find 60 or 70 on one small trip, because no one looked for em'. The younger generation is selling the horns for a profit, and dont keep any. Why dont we kick them off the hill, and let the ones who really want to do this the fun of being outdoors, and wanting to just find them for keep. This is why there is a shed season. If we got rid of the ones chasing them on snowmobiles to make their antlers fall off, we would see the season go away, and we'd get back to the way things used to be.

If the fish cops would just enforce the rules that they already have, we wouldnt be in this situation. Lets make them get out of their trucks and offices and arrest the ones that are chasin' em', not the ones that are staying far away and lookin for sheds.
Thats my spill on the DWR

One more thing. The money that we will be paying for these permits, will not go into wildlife management, it'll go into one of the DWR's paycheck!

Here is an interesting article: http://www.sltrib.com/outdoors/ci_8783421

about the idea that anything on public land is protected unless you have a permit. The greedy minded land managers of our public lans have evolved a mindset that only they can touch anything because they are the experts. Enough permits. Keep the government out of every stinkin' part of our lives. Why should I need a permit to pick up a antler bone? It's just getting out of hand. Read the article, it really is an interesting point of view of how the general public really don't own their share of any part of public lands without useless regulation getting in the way.

Justin

The truth is, the honest guy usually gets screwed. It would be easy to get away with hunting, fishing or shed hunting without a permit or license, it happens all the time it's called poaching. In the rural areas of the state, I don't see how the DWR can enforce laws effectively.
So the honest guys gets screwed because the honest guy buy's a permit, where the dis-honest guys don't. The honest guy follows the season dates, the dis-honest guy doesn't. So the honest guy looses because the dis-honest guy finds the shed horns, or what have you, and takes them long before the honest guy even starts looking.
I would also buy a permit because I would hope it goes to the right cause. I am a member of MDF and a dedicated hunter who likes to put my time in to help out wildlife. I consider myself a honest guy.

its a joke once horn fall off animal they are no longer property of UDOW so how can they sell a permit for somthing that does not belong to them

i do not think the actual animal belongs to anybody.and somewhere along the way hunting in general became so popular you had to start buying licenses. otherwise their would be nothing for us to hunt today.sad but true we have to buy liscenses for everything we do in the woods fishing,camping,farting,chopping firewood etc. all i have to say about the matter is that it is going to happen and instead of bellyaching about it, i will pay my 20 bucks and hope to see less shed hunters and better winter grounds

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom