Physical Fitness for the Hunter.

I

IdahoWoodsman

Ever since last years unsuccessful season, I've really been thinking about my tactics and hunting strategies. I've been researching several ways to improve my success rate. One of these strategies is to hunt harder and longer, but... I'm not in the best shape to be doing that xD. I was curious to know everybody's workout and nutrition plan and what you do to be able to hike the mountains all day. Any supplements? All natural? Any insight to this frustrating situation I'm in would be most helpful.

It's very, very simple. You don't need supplements, you don't need any fancy equipment, or a gym membership. Just don't eat tons of bad food, and go for a jog a few times a week. Do that from now until hunting season and you'll be good to go!

2a0fcsk.gif

What Tony said x2.

I would also say that if you want to improve your success you will fair far better by sitting behind glass more than hiking the hills all day long. Get to a perch and glass.

I had a friend book a hunt with Mossback in Nevada last year. He said it was the biggest eye opener of his hunting time. They got to a lookout and sat there all day long. They watched hunter after hunter drive by in trucks, four wheelers stop and look for a few minutes and then move on. Meanwhile he and Doyle saw buck after buck get up out of the sage and walk around for a few then bed back down. He took his best buck to date. There is a reason why this guy is successful and it has more to do with patience and glass than it does his lungs.

I'm 66 and don't do anything other than watch what I eat so I can keep my weight down where it should be and I walk about 20 miles a week at a fairly brisk pace along with seasonal physical activities. In the summer I take care of my place and two others and all mowing is on foot and takes a good 5 or 6 hours a week, so that's a lot of extra miles for my legs. In the winter I also do the three places and try to do most of the snow removal by hand, using the equipment I have available only if it gets really bad. My legs are still in great shape by doing that and I can walk all day in the mountains where we hunt at about 7,000' with no problem if I have to, but I hunt more like mulecreek stated in his post and do the walking to and from the hunt area to get back in and out. The actual hunting is about 3/4 sitting and glassing from good spots, rather than trying to set a distance record every day like I see a lot of guys doing out there!

I have to watch what I eat. I try to eat home made meals most of the time. I try to only eat a fast food meal only once a week or less. I will only have a soda drink maybe once a week. I very rarely drink caffeine. It is very hard for me to keep wait off these days. I work out in a gym four days a week and do a swim workout two days a week. The swim workout is for two reasons. I have to find a cardio workout that isn't hard on my destroyed knees but mainly I think it trains my body to use less oxygen for less work and recover faster after having less oxygen which I think is beneficial for mountain type hunting. I agree with most and I try to do the same about hunting with my eyes more than my feet, but if I have to climb a couple thousand feet to murder the critter that my glasses found I want to be able to get there as quick as my fat butt can.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]I'm big on spring races ... marathon this year, triathlon last year, tough mudder, etc. I need that stuff to motivate myself to get out and train during the winter. That's how I keep from getting fat.
When summer arrives, I back pack a lot and keep up with hiking and trail running and mountain biking.

I think being in good physical condition is very important for hunting. I agree that most time needs to be spent behind glass, but you must also be able to get around from place to place and do it day after day without becoming exhausted and sleeping in.

I had a friend who hunted Wyoming with me once and had he been in better shape, his chance of killing a near 200-inch slug that was living in the area would have greatly increased. The walk was just kicking his butt and he was unable to keep it up day after day after day until the buck showed himself. A hunt that should have been fantastic for him, turned out to be not all that much fun.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

At 55 it is hard to keep in shape but I do fairly well by being active all year. I get on the cross-county ski machine 2-3 times a week as my bad ankle won't allow running. I have started working out some with resistance bands. Most of my exercise comes from just working around the place and being active. I don't/can't do the extreme backpack hunts but can walk and climb most areas I elk hunt.

Getting in shape is mandatory especially for getting game out. If you can spot and stalk and locate the critters then it's game on. Hone your locating techniques.

The biggest handicap for any hunter is weight. (Fat weight)
Once the weight is where it needs to be, you are no longer carrying an extra back pack. That makes a huge difference.
Even with weight down, I still need to exercise to be able to "go fast, go hard" during hunting season. The sooner an exercise routine is in place the better shape you will be in going into the Fall.
I put on a loaded pack(water) and hike up and down my basement stairs in winter. Then when weather is good I go on hikes with the pack on up in the local mountains. Nothing beats approximating actual hunting conditions. The last few years I have planned an week long mountain fishing trip which has really helped.

I must agree with being in the best shape you as an individual can be in. This will vary from person to person but if you can honestly say you are in good shape for your situation, great. I am from Idaho and yes we use glassing points to locate deer, but if you can't get to that location because you couldn't get up the hill then what? What happens when the animal is on the ground . Hiking it out can be the job of a life time if not in shape. Horses help if you have access to them. Be smart about the time spent in the field between glassing and hiking. My two cents.

I am 64 and will be 65 by hunting season. We Archery hunt elk out of state so I need to be in the best shape I can be physically. I live at about 50 ft. Elevation so when we get to our hunting grounds at 8500-9000ft. All the working out, hiking, climbing local hills to get my legs in shape helps a bunch. I need to do the cardio. As well as physical workouts in my range of ability to be in the best shape possible by hunt time. Even with all this it kicks my but every hunting trip. We hunt in extremely steep country dropping into wallo's then climb out in terrain so steep you would have to lead a horse in many places.
1. It takes me 3 days to acclimate to the elevation change so I am breathing heavy as well as my body Just doesn't have the strength I thought I would have.
2. Even as I worked out best I can with our long hikes minimum of 10-15 miles per hunt round trip in and out of the back country. Everyone in our hunting group losses over 10lbs. Per hunt on a 10 day hunt. That includes the young guys. In in the dark and out in the dark...we take a break day off to rest mid way through the hunt to recharge.
We hunt hard, try and get in shape and eat well to try and keep our strength.
3. Training: I don't have a special diet, tried the low carb method, that helps with very little bread products or sweets. Protein, veggies, salad, and stay away from soda drinks etc. been doing it and that diet works for me. Come the hunt we eat good well rounded meals because we are burning everything anyway.

The post that indicated one needs to consider being your best because the work isn't just being ready to hunt. It's about the hunt as well as after the shot. Is spot on....my Dad told me " the work is just beginning after you harvested your elk." Yep, getting the game out of the back country is a challenge for most. Be in the best shape you can be.
For me:
To be at my best by hunting season in September I start working out to my regiment now slowly increasing daily to a max. Workout... If I don't start working out now I pay for it on the mountain. I know I don't have many more of those type hunts left in me so I try and make the most out of each one now.

))))------->

LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-14 AT 09:19PM (MST)[p]I will be 40 this year and have had a sedentary job for 20 years or so.

On January 13 I started my first exercise regime since high school by committing to P90x3 and a significant diet change. I am mixing in running 2-3x per week with a goal of a 1/2 marathon May 31st.

I've given up all high sugar drinks (had 2 sodas in that time) and have eliminated most processed foods. I am drinking 5-7 glasses of water a day and milk as my primary liquids. I drink 3 cups of coffee a day but only use 1 teaspoon of sugar in my 1st AM cup.

I am in my 2nd block of p90x3 now and am feeling really good. I will ramp up my runs to a solid 3x per week soon. I try to do these opposite of my lower body p90 days.

I am bow hunting for moose, brown bear and elk this year and will NOT let my physical self slow me down.

All good comments. Better shape your in the better off a person will be goes with out saying. However, PMA (positive mental attitude) in my opinion is just as important or more so, esp if the chips stack against you during a hunt. Being in shape helps in that reguard in my opinion.
Ive learned the hard way of not being in shape prior to hunting season, and will do my best to not do that again. The days afield hunting are much more enjoyable when Im not sucking for air every few steps or my legs hurting.
Nothing advanced for me. Winter time, hour hike with a pack in hills. When the snow is gone, start running instead of hiking with a short dumbell workout afterwards. Try to get 5 days a week in. Everynight before bed take 10-15 minutes and do some core excerses. Besides helping to stay in shape, its a great way to let some stress off and clear the mind.

I discovered an Airdyne bike while training my son in wrestling. He would only use the bike for 30 minutes per day after practice. We found the key to be, doing 4 miles in 10 minutes(which I have never been able to do). The bike was the only conditioning he would do aside from wrestling and it was all he needed. For me I spend 15 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on a cheap stair climber, with a 45lb backpack. I hike almost every weekend. During big game season I can out walk almost everyone I have hunted with, I can go all day for 7 days in a row. I could not do this before my bike.

I'm currently training for the MS150 bicycle ride which will cover over 190+ miles in one weekend. Riding a bicycle has really helped me with leg strength and especially cardio. Having drawn an elk tag this year I plan to log over 3000 miles on my road bike and mountain bike before I head to the mountains. At 50 years old I just don't like running as it tends to be hard on my joints and body. Cycling gives me an excellent cardio workout without the wear and tear associated with running.

Later this Spring and Summer I will strap on a heavy backpack and head out for some long walks and hikes to get the back, shoulders, and hips ready for hunting/packing. Add to that some weight training and core training in between cycling and hiking...

Lastly, be sure and get yourself a good heart rate monitor (HRT). I'm no physical fitness expert but wearing a HRT has helped me track my physical fitness and weight/calorie loss. Get your heart rate up and burn those dang calories. An HRT is a great investment!

Best of luck to y'all on the draws and hunting this year!!!

I've taken up running.

2011 I made it my goal to be able to run 6 miles in an hour and did it just before hunting season.

2012 I upped my goal to running a half marathon in under 2 hours (9:00 pace) and achieved that.

2013 I ran my first marathon in 3 hours and 48 minutes. I ended up running over 2,000 miles for the year.

This year I'm running my first ultra, a 50K trail race.

Losing weight helps for sure as well.

Everyone should get a check up before they start any fitness routine and instead of rushing in trying to become superman right off the bat, instead gradually increase the effort expended each week.

Nobody needs to be a marathon runner to hunt, but being in better than average shape helps....Besides most marathon guys probably lack overall strength to pack a critter out even if they succeed.

I think a balance of endurance and overall body strength is better.
A little bit of weight training and some hiking every week will go a long way to keeping in shape.
Guys that do not have the hills to hike could always supplement those stair climbers into a routine.
May (sound weird) but lower elevation guys could (slowly) work there way to more and more time on a stair climber each week while breathing only in and out there nose..Why? To get used to the lack of oxygen intake they will have once they get to these higher altitudes. Once at higher elevation and real hiking takes place the extra intake by now using there mouth and nose to breath will help eleviate some of the high altitude thin air they face.
Not all hunters have the luxury some of us have by hiking the mountains we hunt all year.

Eating good goes a long way to helping achieve your goals but everyone has different calorie intake needs depending on there metabolism. Skinny guys could use more protein intake and some more carbohydrates and fat will not hurt them while training.

Overweight guys should cut out some carbs and fat and keep the protein uptake to keep the muscle they already have hidden beneath as they train.

Heck even just getting out and trying to keep up with your kids and grandkids can help get you in shape. Something is better than nothing.
I may not be the best fit guy in the woods but I can get there,hunt hard and get my elk or deer out by myself at 46 years young:) By continuing to stay in decent shape I hope to continue to do this for a long time even with an injury that I had when I was younger that has left me with a bad knee.
Good luck in your hunts.
Jerry

Breathing through your nose won't do anything to improve your aerobic conditioning.

Just because someone can run a marathon doesn't mean they lack overall strength.

Look up tabatas. They are a good additional workout that will give a great return on your VO2 max with the least detriment to muscle. At four minutes, you can do it everyday with some strength conditioning. Don't let how easy it sounds fool you... Additionally, I thinking working out as similarly to hunting as you can is going to be a best prep. As stated above, ease into this stuff if you are seriously out of shape.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 00:31AM (MST)[p]
The point of lower elevation hunters using a stair climber and breathing through there nose is to cut down the amount of oxygen they intake during the exercise. Much like what they will have once they reach altitude.....Free divers that hold there breath constantly while trying to stay under water longer use the same principal to accustom themselves to less oxygen intake and still functioning.
Definitely cardiovascular.

My point about marathon runners was not meant to offend but just an observation of most I see and those I have hiked with lack upper body strength. I have had to carry way more than my share of anothers downed critter from guys that had the wind but could not make the packout.
I realize this does not pertain to all.
Running in tennis shoes with no pack for long distance will up your cardio but will not prepare those that need to carry gear much less an animal out of the hills in my opinion..
A combination of some cardio and strength training will prepare hunters better.
Works for me....Pics just shown so you do not think I am talking out my arse.
58532013deerhike2.jpg

42612013deerbasecamp.jpg

Sorry, but the breathing through the nose idea to help you at higher elevation isn't reality.

It might help free divers, I've never looked into it, but the nose breathing and other restrictive methods like the breathing masks they sell aren't going to help you.

The limiting factor is getting the oxygen to the muscles, not getting the oxygen in your lungs. The best way to improve that is to work out longer and harder and more often. Not some gimmick like breathing through a straw.

Here's a few articles that might help.

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/component/content/article/702-train-low-race-high

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/11/your-ultra-training-bag-of-tricks-altitude-training-and-racing.html

P.S. - I can carry a heavy pack too.

I love it! The classic battle somewhat like between Crossfitters and Weight lifters lol it never ends......carry on.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Lots of good comments, thanks. I am older and I try to stay in shape. I get up at 4:30 every morning. I usually run 3-4 miles every day on the treadmill in my great room. But I also do some pushups, dips and exercises. I also often carry a pack with a 50 pound sack of salt in it on the treadmill. I have a wooden box made out of 2X12's and 2X4's that's a foot tall. I put on the pack and step up on to that for a different workout.

I also do outside stuff. I cut 15-20 cords of wood per year. And haul, split and stack it. I also do a lot of hiking, looking for sheds, hunting coyotes, scouting, etc. Also get the opportunity to fix fence and chase cattle.

I don't drink much except water. I like to chew my calories. Lately, I've started eating a lot of soup for my evening meal. Works well and is low calorie. Eat cereal for breakfast almost every day. A decent breakfast is a key to staying fed and not snacking.

I remember Tom Seaver (I think) saying "As the legs go, so goes the body" in the 70's on his way to the hall of fame. Good advice.

>I love it! The
>classic battle somewhat like between
>Crossfitters and Weight lifters lol
>it never ends......carry on.

I'm not saying any of the recommendations are good or bad other than the breathing through the nose thing which is just off base.

I agree you don't need to be able to run a marathon to have a great hunt and be in good shape.

I just took offense to the "most marathon runners lack strength" comment.

The key is to find something you enjoy that will get you off the couch and moving and keep at it. Different strokes for different folks.

Two additional observations..

Beech18 is right-on the PMA. I have suffered on several hunts from letting myself get down when things weren't going as I had envisoned (just ask my partners). A better attitude will keep you going even if you are not the most fit person on the mountain.

ICMDEER, watch which breakfast cereals you eat. I have had to start reading labels to keep my diet in line with what my doc says I can eat. Many (not all) breakfast cereal contain high levels of high fructose corn syrup. Than stuff goes right to fat.

Lots of good ideas in this thread. Let's all work on getting to the next level of fitness. See you on the mountain.

>Everyone should get a check up
>before they start any fitness
>routine and instead of rushing
>in trying to become superman
>right off the bat, instead
>gradually increase the effort expended
>each week.
>
>Nobody needs to be a marathon
>runner to hunt, but being
>in better than average shape
>helps....Besides most marathon guys probably
>lack overall strength to pack
>a critter out even if
>they succeed.
>
>I think a balance of endurance
>and overall body strength is
>better.
>A little bit of weight training
>and some hiking every week
>will go a long way
>to keeping in shape.
>Guys that do not have the
>hills to hike could always
>supplement those stair climbers into
>a routine.
>May (sound weird) but lower elevation
>guys could (slowly) work there
>way to more and more
>time on a stair climber
>each week while breathing only
>in and out there nose..Why?
>To get used to the
>lack of oxygen intake they
>will have once they get
>to these higher altitudes. Once
>at higher elevation and real
>hiking takes place the extra
>intake by now using there
>mouth and nose to breath
>will help eleviate some of
>the high altitude thin air
>they face.
>Not all hunters have the luxury
>some of us have by
>hiking the mountains we hunt
>all year.
>
>Eating good goes a long way
>to helping achieve your goals
>but everyone has different calorie
>intake needs depending on there
>metabolism. Skinny guys could use
>more protein intake and some
>more carbohydrates and fat will
>not hurt them while training.
>
>
>Overweight guys should cut out some
>carbs and fat and keep
>the protein uptake to keep
>the muscle they already have
>hidden beneath as they train.
>
>
>Heck even just getting out and
>trying to keep up with
>your kids and grandkids can
>help get you in shape.
>Something is better than nothing.
>
>I may not be the best
>fit guy in the woods
>but I can get there,hunt
>hard and get my elk
>or deer out by myself
>at 46 years young:) By
>continuing to stay in decent
>shape I hope to continue
>to do this for a
>long time even with an
>injury that I had when
>I was younger that has
>left me with a bad
>knee.
>Good luck in your hunts.
>Jerry

Pretty much sums up my feelings.
I'm 59 this year and live @ 7500',eat the best I can,only drink coffee & water,and stay active daily. I can still do 12-16 miles in a day if needed.
I'm lucky to live on a ranch in the middle of nowhere and in good shape still after all I have put on my lanky body. 2 repaired knees. I'm slow but steady.

Good point Hank. I agree with your slow and steady comment. Ive noticed "jack rabbits" out there who hike at a very brisk pace trying to cover as much ground as possible. Some can keep it up all day which I appauled, alot burn out and take way more breaks though. I rather keep a slow and steady pace, dont need to take many breaks and Im also looking around more at the surroundings and hunting the area Im in more effectively. Besides, mabey its just me, when I try to walk brisk I tend to be watching my feet more than actually looking around. Times call for intercept mode where you need to cover ground quick but not too often.

I have had a weight problem all my life, even before it was normal for a bunch of fat kids to be running around.

Hunting, it the #1 motivation I have to stay in mountain shape.

Like Hank, I live in the mountains and every chance I get, I am out there hiking in them. Shed hunting season really helps.

Diet is 80% of it.

I'm with Founder on this one. I need something in front of me to keep me motivated, i.e. triathlon, Spartan, marathon, etc. It keeps me motivated to train. I used to be in the best physical shape of the year right after the hunting season and then got pretty lax with exercise through the winter months. It got harder and harder to maintain any physical fitness as I got older. I'm 47 now and doing triathlons and running races. My wife and kids have even gotten into it. I feel better year round and I'm not killing myself off in the summer trying to get fit to enjoy the hunt.

Hunting is as much mental as physical. A long and grueling week long back pack hunt can take its toll on you physically and also mentally, but especially mentally if you are really out of shape and trying to push the limits. Being physically fit is a lifestyle very similar to hunting being a lifestyle. It will build your mental toughness like nothing els.

It's always an adventure!!!

>>I love it! The
>>classic battle somewhat like between
>>Crossfitters and Weight lifters lol
>>it never ends......carry on.
>
>I'm not saying any of the
>recommendations are good or bad
>other than the breathing through
>the nose thing which is
>just off base.
>
>I agree you don't need to
>be able to run a
>marathon to have a great
>hunt and be in good
>shape.
>
>I just took offense to the
>"most marathon runners lack strength"
>comment.
>
>The key is to find something
>you enjoy that will get
>you off the couch and
>moving and keep at it.
> Different strokes for different
>folks.

You may want to do some research before you dispell something or mauybe even try it.
Here are a few links to help you out.
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12126
http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/nose-breathing-running-8418.html
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/breathing-when-running/
http://www.breathing.com/articles/nose-breathing.htm

I think everyone has posted some goods things, things that work for them.

At 54 it's getting harder and harder every year. And I'm lazy so I try to get the most out of my workouts as possible, with the less effort. Starting in January, here's my year:

January I'm finishing up chukar season and usually in the best cardio shape of the year, until Sept. I start lifting weights if I didn't start right after my last out-of-state hunt.

Feb-April I'm lifting weights 4-5 times a week. Heavier weights than I should, just ask my shoulders. If there is no snow on the ground I'll do the 3.4 mile hike up the mountain behind my house 2 Xs a week too. Snow shoed that hill in 2013 when there was snow on the ground.

May-June I reduce the weights to 2, maybe 3 Xs a week with more curcuit training, lighter weights, more reps while bumping the hikes up to 3-4 times a week. I add about 10 lbs to my pack every 2-3 weeks depending what my knees tell me to do. Try to ride the horses at least once a week.

July-early Sept Hiking the hill behind the house with weighted pack every other day at least and hit one of the training hills nearby at least once a week. Same hills the local Hot Shot crews and Inmate Fire Fighters train on. Riding each horse at least 2Xs a week if i'm using them that fall. Weights down to 4-6 times a month. Horses get a couple of 5-8 hour rides the 2 weeks before the hunt.

The lazyness comes with the weight lifting instead of the cardio. I would rather lift 2Xs a day, an hour each, 5 days a week than climb the hill behind the house 1X. Once I force myself to start hiking, the weight lifting and thus the weight naturally drops off.

The guys that mentioned the mental aspect hit the nail on the head. You have to find what motivates you and use it. For me I'll constantly tell myself this is what I planned all year for, trained for, spent substantial money for, took vacation for and if I don't give 100% I'll be mad at myself all winter while reflecting back.

On hunts where you are seeing all kinds of game the mental aspect is staying off of the trigger/release until you're satisfied you'll be happy with the animal. On hunts where you aren't seeing game, or sign, it gets tougher. My mental problem isn't quitting, it's losing concentration and just going through the motions. This has cost me when I wasn't ready for the opportunity that presented itself.

I hope to be able to give serious effort on my hunts for the next 15 years and that thought motivates me more than anything.

>You may want to do some
>research before you dispell something
>or mauybe even try it.
>
>Here are a few links to
>help you out.
>http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12126
>http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/nose-breathing-running-8418.html
>http://www.nomeatathlete.com/breathing-when-running/
>http://www.breathing.com/articles/nose-breathing.htm

Not sure which is funnier, that you are using links to discussion forums to support your theory, or that the first link you posted has conflicting viewpoints with some people pointing toward the fact that it has been debunked back in the 70's.

Also, my links were specifically geared toward going from working out and living in lower elevations then having a race or hunting at higher elevation. Your links have nothing to do with elevation, just some folks who think they get some magic from breathing through your nose.

I think breathing is critical, simply because if you stop breathing you die. It doesn't matter if it's through your nose, while you are standing on one leg or whatever method someone decides is better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom