Physically toughest place you ever hunted

map1

Just got back from the whitetail youth hunt in Southern Ohio with my 16 year old. We hunt leased paper land. Question is what is the most physically demanding hunt you've been on? I've hunted 4 midwest states and 4 western states, Idaho being the steepest, but nothing to me compares to the foothills of the Appalachians. Just as steep as Idaho only up and down, up and down. Much thicker with nasty thorn briar patches to navigate. No horses to get you back in. I can't even ride an ATV to my stand it's so thick. Sure you can hunt 200 yards from the road, but try getting back in a 3 or 4 few ridges and see how your sweating.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-12 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]I live here in Idaho at 5000 feet, and routinely hunt from 8-10,000 feet (dependng on species). We have some tough country for sure, and we adjust as much as possible..

That being said, my sister and brother-in-law live in the foothills of North Carolina and we chase bears and boars with dogs on the Appalachian crest. It may only be 5200 feet on the Crest trail where they are, but is still an ass-kicker! I'll have to agree with you here.

As for physically toughest, try mountain goat hunting in the Crazy Mts. of Montana if you want a workout!

Mountains are mountains, no matter where you are. :)

i went on my resident mountain goat hunt here in wyoming last year and also a bighorn sheep hunt with a friend this year. and up and down the steep cliffs and holding on for your life is tough. carrying an animal out on your back makes things very interesting. hiking on those 11,000+ ridges can be very diffcult.

Steep, thick, brushy, biting fly infested coast range mountains of California, Los Padres National Forest, in 100F August weather... Nothing else comes close... I'd take the bitter cold snowy Rocky mountains in windy in -20F December weather any day..

The toughest I've hunted is here in western Wyoming. Plenty of places you won't go with a horse--if you value your life and the horse's.

Sierra Nevada Mtns,straight up and down in places,passes @ 10k+.
Followed by Cen. Cal Coast Range as stated.
I'm in SW Mtns of NM now and even the Gila is a walk in the park compaired to them.

I cut my teeth on the Rockies of Utah, Wyoming and Idaho as a young man, then moved to California for some thirty five years. I have to admit the Sierra's were the only mountains I got turned around in, took some bad falls in places mountain goats knew better to be, and often found myself hankerin' for the Rockies once more, where I might just get a rest. And yeah, the Central Coastal ranges with the hot temps and nasty underbrush was enough to make me re-think a thing or two about chasing Blacktails...

www.unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Central Idaho Wilderness.
LONG way in, and steep. Cannot tell you how many times I was stuck on a ledge.

Moose and caribou hunting in Ak was way harder than any hunt (including goat) I've done in the Rockies.

Chugach mountians for mountian goat was extremely difficult. Just got back from zim also. Flat ground but doing the death march for four days after a wounded buffalo and the thermometer is breaking 120 degrees gets tough.

I've sweat a lot of blood in California's Trinity Alps...

trinity-alps-2012-019.jpg

Might not be tough for a lot of people but I live at about 50 feet above sea level. I drew a late bull tag in Utah. Climbing on mountains at 10,000-10,500 feet was kicking my butt. Took a lot if short rest on the way up to where we were hunting.

It was worth the burning lungs.
IMG_4159-1.jpg

Physically toughest day of hunting that I have ever had was a lion hunt/chase (on foot) in the Harquahala Mountains west of Phoenix. Not sure if it was the fact that it was a foot chase for a lion, or the terrain, or both, but it was a tough mother of a hunt! ;-)

S.

:)

Hunting on top of "H" in Wyoming was pretty tough for me but mostly because i wasn't in shape for that hunt. I've spent hundreds of hours hiking several parts of the Ruby mtns and can say that they can kick one in the rear if not in top shape.

I think though, the toughest hunt i ever had was in Colorado hunting Muleys above Gunnison. I spotted a good buck well and gone off several ridges from my rig and those days, it didn't matter where the buck i wanted was so much as if i could get close enough to get him. I got him but the only way back that i could see was up thru a steep, big, and very high north slope timber patch that i soon found out was mostly blow downs.

In those days i packed my bucks out whole and on my back as i mostly tried to do this one. I didn't get back to my rig until afternoon of the next day, my butt was officially kicked.

That ain't the half of it but believe me, i earned that buck.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You all have described where I love to be. Highest, steepest, thickest, and combinations of all three. And I'll keep going back till I can't no more!
138snow.jpg

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

I would have to say the Escalante river drainage and plateau for desert sheep in southern Utah. Most remote and unforgiving backpack terrain I have ever seen! Add the fact that you hunt for water as much as you hunt for sheep makes it that much worse. I have an archery tag in the Floridas this year and I've heard they are super tough as well. TJ

I've hunted AK and several western states but nothing gets my heart pumping harder than the Appalachian mtns. / foothills in
GA,AL,TN,NC.

A nine day backpacking hunt in the Trinity Alps was the hardest. As far as steep areas to hunt it would be Western Wyoming and the Gila Wilderness in New Mexico.

Southeast Kyrgyzstan.
My GPS read a hair over 14k where I took my shot at my ibex. High, steep as hell, and colder than I've ever been.

007.jpg

------------------
DRSS

Probably the southeast Alaska rainforest for mountain goat. Everything is wet, mossy, or muddy, with devil's club growing everywhere.

Goat-14.jpg

Goat-32.jpg

Goat-44.jpg

Goat-45-1.jpg

Im 56 yrs old and have hunted most everywhere. I've been high and low, I've been cold and tired as about anyone I suppose. Someone told me years ago that the Escalante desert sheep hunt had the makings to be the 'toughest' hunt in the NA continent. Well, it sure as hell has my vote. Throw on 70 lbs and go hike around in there for awhile. Walk on ledges that are 300 ft falls if you slip a little, walk in the river avoiding quicksand for hours at time, contanstly taking on and off that 70 lb pack and lifting it up over ledges, and drinking the nastiest warm horse piss water you can imagine. Toss in the heat factor and everything bites or scratches you and it's one hell of a good time I tell ya. Oh and in my case add in a booner case of giardia for good measure.

And I went in with 5 of the toughest SOB's around and it still makes me shutter to think of going back. All I need for my Full Curl is a Stone and I tease that if someone said there was a Stone ram tied to a tree where I shot my Desert.......... I think I'll pass.

#1--Northern BC for a 10 backpack Mountain Goat hunt, steep, wet, snowy, mossy, nothing but rock cliffs, simply idiocy, and a bit lower in altitude tangle foot spreading junipers with 60-70 lb pack on. It wears on you physically and mentally.
#2--Florida Mountains for archery Ibex in January, Steep, slippery rocks, cliffs and an occasional snowfall in there is outright insane hunting conditions, I must be a glutton for punishment, I have my 3rd hunting tag in January.

Trinities are tough but,

NOTHING was as bad as the Frank Church River Wilderness of No Return. Hands down the most awful, steepest, burned out POS land I've ever stepped foot in. And I've been around.

-John Wayne

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-12 AT 05:25AM (MST)[p]>Trinities are tough but,
>
>NOTHING was as bad as the
>Frank Church River Wilderness of
>No Return. Hands down the
>most awful, steepest, burned out
>POS land I've ever stepped
>foot in. And I've been
>around.
>
>_____________________________________
>"Life's tough. It's even tougher if
>you're stupid."
>
>-John Wayne

I second that, the Frank Church has to be top five toughest placest to hunt in NA! The biggest wilderness in the lower 48 and I found out this year why we named it the RIVER OF NO RETURN WILDERNESS!! It's a crazy place!!

ridgelineoutdoors.com

>Just got back from the whitetail
>youth hunt in Southern Ohio
>with my 16 year old.
>We hunt leased paper land.
>Question is what is the
>most physically demanding hunt you've
>been on? I've hunted 4
>midwest states and 4 western
>states, Idaho being the steepest,
>but nothing to me compares
>to the foothills of the
>Appalachians. Just as steep as
>Idaho only up and down,
>up and down. Much thicker
>with nasty thorn briar patches
>to navigate. No horses to
>get you back in. I
>can't even ride an ATV
>to my stand it's so
>thick. Sure you can hunt
>200 yards from the road,
>but try getting back in
>a 3 or 4 few
>ridges and see how your
>sweating.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-12 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/121img_1518.jpg

9404055.jpg

503img_1536.jpg

Tur hunting in the Caucasus Mountains on the Russian/Georgian border.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-12 AT 05:03AM (MST)[p]Well, I had some time to think about it, the toughest hunt I've ever been on was my wifes black friday hunt for the good deals. Man, I'll never do that again.

Kodiak Island Alaska,between the alder thickets the devils club,70+MPH winds all the while trying to gain elevation in the freezing rain this was one of the toughest hunts for me!!!

My toughest hunt was when I only had an hour to get from my house to the airport after Mossback called.

Denny

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-12 AT 06:04PM (MST)[p]I work and play in the devil's club and alder swells of the Interior Wetbelt of the Caribou and Monashee Mnts. They are 'Steeper Than The Back of God's Head' and the club pits are multi-storied. As you work higher up the mountain, you leave the club and enter the rhodo jungles of the Spruce Balsam types. While rhodo doesn't bite, it grabs ahold and won't let go. Throw some snow on top and it is very very pleasurable. After 20 years of working and playing in this country, I have definately got numb to the feeling of club in the knees and thighs. Still hurts like a Mother ###### when it slaps ya in the lip. One of my favorite pastimes is playing with a needle and digging for those deep ones that have festered up in your hands but still won't come out.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-12 AT 12:01PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-12
>AT 09:58?PM (MST)

>
>
121img_1518.jpg

>
>
9404055.jpg

>
503img_1536.jpg

>
>Tur hunting in the Caucasus Mountains
>on the Russian/Georgian border.

I'd have to agree. More hunters and guides are killed from falls than any place on the planet.
OOPS, but I have not been there although I would like to someday.

I've had a great time on several backpack sheep hunts but I've worked harder, day after day, on LE Wasatch elk hunts than about anything else.

Zeke

>My toughest hunt was when I
>only had an hour to
>get from my house to
>the airport after Mossback called.
>
>
>Denny

That sh*t is hilarious.

The thickest area I hunted was POW in Alaska.

The steepest was MT sheep hunt. a boned out 185 class ram with horns and cape. Two inches of snow on a steep cliff mountain. Said a few prayers down the mountain. Two mile hike back to the horses and 5 more back to camp. Great memories though!

B Zone,California... you can die in that place! Thick brush that rips your clothes off and feels like a oven when you're climbing through it, not to forget all the rattle snakes! Did I also mention its steep and most of the deer are now gone. Western Wyoming has the steepest mountains I've ever hunted. The only other place that would rank any higher up there might be the heights needed to climb for those goat hunts :) Happy Trails!

>My toughest hunt was when I
>only had an hour to
>get from my house to
>the airport after Mossback called.
>
>
>Denny

Dang you, I was gonna say Antelope Island deer hunt!!

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

seriously though, one of the toughest hunts I was on was a freaking duck hunts, left from white elephant parking lot, with a 1 yr old lab. Started in the morning, got out on the lake shore, stayed til dark, lost the trail, then cut new trail through about 2 miles of phrag. Towards the end I ended up carrying that poor dog. Spend a ton of time about 9000ft, but that one actually started to scare me a little, seriously thought I was gonna pass out from exhaustion.

"Your just jealous because _____, so you can't know anything!!"

I agree with ElmerFudd. Hunted a lot of places and the coast CA range is an ass kicker. It's not uncommon to gain 2,000 feet in a mile and a half and do it in 100+ degree heat. I'll take the other cold, wet stuff any day.

Bwht4x4 I agree with you and Elmer....only you forgot the part about your eyes swelling shut with poison oak. Which really doesn't matter because there is no deer to see anyway.:)

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-12 AT 08:28PM (MST)[p]Some of the areas in the Cache unit take some lung power.
99082008_018.jpg

61532007_073.jpg

62792008_024.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom