pinewood derby.

Long Time Member
My boy has a 5 oz car. It can weigh 8. Where are the lead tire stick on best placed to get him a win?
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Put the weight as far back and high in the tail as possible, if that is what you are asking.

And the Competition begins!

Make sure & put a HEMI in it!:D

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Google the south park deleted scene pinewood derby. Make sure the kids are out of earshot.

So your saying you've got three popsicle sticks with four wheels mounted in them......?

DC

You know what Graphite is Right?

Pinewood Derbies!

Teenager Daughter!

Just wait till the Future wanna-be Son-In-Laws start showin up!:D

I'm Wondering if Lil Red is the one that's gonna Build the Derby Car?

When is Race Night?

I got graphite from hell to breakfast. If it is a carcinogen I am screwed. It is boy scouts not brownies. Hell.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Sides.....daddy o has a browning safe full of hardware to be cleaning anytime some boner bearing dips hit shows up for the girls.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

So?

Your Hands look like Obama's already?

Don't need the Brownie Remarks!

Just sayin.....................!

You're building a Car now!

Won't be long & You'll be turning them Kids Loose with a Real Car!

Just part of Life!

Competition is Big when it comes to Racing!

When Me & Jr Run His Cars there were Custom Built Cars that had been Milled out of a CNC Wood Mill!

Told Jr We couldn't Compete with that!

But We ended up with Two 1st Place cars in two consecutive years!

No We don't Have access to/or own a Wood Mill!

Carved/Built them with common Hand Tools!

With countless Hours of Testing/Experimenting this is what we came up with:

Added Weight should be added towards the Back of the Car with the Car Balancing 1" to 1-1/2" in front of the rear Axle!

Aerodynamics is Quite Important!

One of Jr's car was the General Lee from an Era where they probably didn't care much about it at that time!

Axle Alignment is critical!

Sounds like you already found the Obama Lubricant?:D

The Wheels & Axles take a lot of Time & Work to get them Smoothed up with as little of Friction as possible!

We Drilled Holes in the Bottom of the Car & Melted Solder in to them & Smoothed even the bottom of the car back off smooooooth!

Both Cars We Built were under weight by 1/2 an Ounce!

Where they Shined was after they hit the Flat to the Finish Line!

Kinda Funny!

The Guys that had their Boys Cars Professionally Built Demanded Our Car to be Re-Weighed!

Yup,a 1/2 Ounce lighter than what they coulda been!

A Good Smooth/Slick Paint Job never hurts either!

It gets Perty Competitive!:D

Good Luck 1911 & 1911 Jr!

Seem you should just rent CATS cars and run them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Some type of hidden spring loaded axel for a quicker start off the line is what I'd be working on. That's just me though. :D

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Make the car weigh right at 8 oz and take a drill to remove a little if the weigh in scale is a little different. Polish the axles and wheels with 3000 grit polishing compound. Good luck....

I've always said the car building project is for the dad and the son should simply observe.... or better yet, go do something else while dad builds it. How else can we turn out such fine creations? LOL

Good luck,
Zeke

>Some type of hidden spring loaded
>axel for a quicker start
>off the line is what
>I'd be working on. That's
>just me though. :D
>
>Eel
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>

I like where you're going with this.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Over the years we have built some fast ones and some slow ones. My deal with the boys is. The first one I do all of the cutting and most of the axle building. The second one we work hand and hand and the last one I supervise. I have made it through 4 of the 6 boys and we haven't lost an eye or a finger yet. We drill holes in from the back and put pencil lead in. I cut them and put them on top to weigh. Once the final weight is figured then it shows me how deep we have to drill to get them in. Once hammered in they don't come out very easy. Hammer them in and they round up nicely to look like tail lights, and they stay put. Good luck and most of all have fun.

DZ

Another trick for speed is to only have 3 of 4 wheels actually touching the track with one of them slightly bent in to hug the track. These 2 things help with the friction of the wheels (4) touching the ground. And hugging the track keeps the car from wobbling side to side and loose speed and momentum.

We also would drill new wheel wholes to make a longer wheel base and put the weight as far back as possible, spanning the back wheel axle for balance. Weve done pretty good :)

Put the axles in your dremmel and spin them with fine steel wool, then put the wheels on and polish them smooth also.
Good luck ?

I Wonder if 1911 Jr's Car looks something like this?

339pinewood.jpg

Bobcat, where is the rear end damage? :D:D:D

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Hey Eel!

Within an Hour or two there should be Damage!:D

He made 1st in two heats. Came in 7th overal. Less than .1 of a second between 1st and 7th.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

.....and 1st place has a thiokol dad. He did not build his own car. It was milled from a laser.cnc so I hardly consider his legit. That makes Jr 6th.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>.....and 1st place has a thiokol
>dad. He did not
>build his own car. It
>was milled from a laser.cnc
>so I hardly consider his
>legit. That makes Jr 6th.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Ah!

The Famous CNC Lazer Mills!:D

Nice Job 1911 Jr!

And 1911 Sr!:D

"He made 1st in two heats. Came in 7th overall. Less than .1 of a second between 1st and 7th."

Geez, how do they measure that?

Good deal 1911. Next year we'll install the special axel (wink)

Eel

My boy just had his derby too! He took first in all 4 of his heats and 1st overall! He came up with the design and paint job. Dad did the rest.......and yeah, there may have been a little "liquid graphite" on the axles if ya know what I mean.......But he doesn't need to know his old man cheated him into first place LOL!

After all, it was about beating my cocky neighbor who has to one-up on everything that goes down in the neighborhood. Afterwards, he sure interrogated me to try and find out what my secret was. Too bad he didn't get anywhere with that conversation. I figure as long as I.....um....my son beats him....ur.......his son, then we won!

And yes, put the weight just in front of the rear axle and inside the car so that you are pushing the cars front axle and pulling on the rear axle........

Also take a real close look at the cast job on the nail. just under the head you will see two ridges. chuck the nail up in a drill and hit it with a file until the back side of the nail head is smooth and flat. Then proceed with your polishing techniques.

So Blood?

You got Neighbors too?:D:D:D

The way we do it is to have the kids and the dads each make a pinewood and then the dads can race their own. Some of the dads ruin the fun with their competitiveness.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-15 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]When I was a scout master putting these on, we had an "Old Bones" category for the "adult" competitors. Mine wasn't the most aerodynamic but it was still the fastest.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom