Please Shine Some Light!

Max_1

I was wondering why Utah DWR doesn't do anything for Military personnel or the elderly? My brother was able to finally get leave during the archery deer hunt from the Navy this year, but he did not get it approved until July. I called the Dwr to see if there would be any way to get him a tag since this was his first opportunity in four years. Of course they told me no. This was the second attempt of mine to help a family member out. The first was trying to help my grandfather. He is 85 years old and now has not drawn a general rifle deer tag for the central unit 2 of the last 4 years. I don't understand why people in these classifications don't get special privileges. My brother has signed up to protect our country, My grandfather has hunted this state every year except three that he spent in the navy gunning on a battleship in the pacific ocean during world war 2. In my opinion people with these circumstances deserve to hunt if they choose to. Hunting is my one passion, but if I missed out one year because an 85 year old man is still doing what he loves or a young man who signed up to fight for us wanted a little bit of normalcy when he comes home I would be ok with that.

Utah DWR does do somthing for the Military. What your bother should have been doing is applying every year no matter what. If he was deployed or on orders in some sort of support of OIF/OEF he could have got a complete refund.
Here is the link http://wildlife.utah.gov/licenses/refund_surrender/military.pdf
As far as everything else goes I don't think the DWR would will ever do anything for them because it is all a money game. They get the same ammount of money from and elderly person as a younger person so they aren't going to favor them.
You also need to think about it this way as well. Older folks have had many more years to enjoy the outdoors and hunting sports than younger folks. So why should their draw odds be any higher than anyone elses?
Just my 2 cents.

Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

I think the reason old people get treated just like anyone else in utah is there has been a lot of abuse with putting in grandma and grandpa in for hunts and party hunting with their tags. You can thank the offenders for that one.

I also dont believe they should be treated any differently than myself. Why should they be able to hunt any more than myself. sounds harsh but when im 85 I wont be asking for handouts either. I would be fine just being in camp watching my family fulfill their dreams if I don't have a tag. If I do have a tag and can still hunt just a bonus!

As for military people. Here is a tip for your brother which should help. He should always apply for any tag he wants to hunt every year no matter what. Then if he draws the tag and cant hunt He being a vet is aloud to turn the tag in. Vets are the only ones that can do this year after year. then when he is in town he will already have a general archery tag guaranteed especially if he has turned the tag back in and acquired a bonus point.

My brother is a vet he applies just like you do for a general tag. if he doesn't draw a buck tag when he is home he just hunts open bull elk. he also applies for every antlerless hunt under the sun so it pretty much guarantees he will be able to hunt something with his rifle if he cant get a general deer rifle tag. Also if he cant get a general deer rifle tag he would just hunt with a bow. He just doesn't procrastinate applying for the tags.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-29-09 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]Thank you for your input. I have been making sure my brother gets bonus points for limited entry deer so when he finishes his duty in four more years he can hunt almost any unit in the state(except henries). I didn't think about the military clause. If I put him in for the general hunt and he can't make it can i turn his tag in for him? I guess with my grandpa I just hate having him miss out. I hunt archery so the only time i go on the rifle hunt is to help him out. Two years ago I helped him fill his tag with a three point. It was a blast. He missed the deer at 155yds and 300yds. I felt bad until he shot again and the deer dropped. We ranged it after the shot at 606yds. All he did was turn to my cousin and me and said the first two shots were to close so he needed to get the deer out to his range:)

Its hard to know when my brother will be home. He is stationed at Pearl Harbor.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom