Points are Points

Simpleton

Heard rumblings that there is a proposal in the works that will be presented and, if accepted, would transition UT from 3 separate point classes for deer (LE, DH, and GS) to a system that would consider all deer hunts as pulling from the same point pool. I imagine this would still maintain designations of General Units and Limited Units to account for Lifetime License obligations. Interesting though.. how would this land with you guys?

My first thought is they would have to decide what they would do with hunters that have points in all 3 categories, whether that is just add them together or something else.

Second thought is that they would almost have to do this with elk and make the general elk be broken into units, otherwise you could see a big jump in elk point creep where anyone applying for LE Deer would now be able to apply for both.

I don't hate it. If it happened, I'd likely just continue to put in for my favorite general with hopes of having it every year. It would be more similar to CO except with a bonus system rather than a preference system, but I am curious how you all feel?

I'm on board for deer - you have to draw to hunt all General or Limited deer units now anyway so just combine it all into one draw and a point is a point. The lifetime license holder situation does pose a bit of a problem here though (as you noted, maybe just flag all of the LE units as units where a lifetime license can't be used)

Keep elk the way it is now. I personally like being able to apply for LE elk units but also buy a general archery or muzzy/rifle tag as an option to hunt after the draw.

This is a bad idea. You think point creep is bad now. Just wait
True for the most coveted units (which are already really bad) but it forces a guy to choose whether he wants to wait in line for MANY years to hunt, or hunt more frequently on a lower tier "LE" or "General" unit. As it sits now, you have guys chasing both the LE tag and General tag.

The sad part is that even if you added my le deer points and my gs deer point together, I still wouldn’t be able to draw even a shitty unit and I have been applying for 8 years in both. Lol

Leave it alone. those who've paid their dues the longest reap the rewards, if they don't die first. Utah already hosed the high point holders hard enough in the new elk plan give deer hunters a break.

This is the world we live in today, nobody wants to wait their turn they want to change the rules so everyone can win today because they're entitled. the whiney lame argument that it' not fair to young people is the worst one. the old guy with 40 points should give up his chances so a newbie gets a better shot? who gave up a tag for him? does he have another 40 years ? this whole game is getting stupid.

Leave it alone. those who've paid their dues the longest reap the rewards, if they don't die first. Utah already hosed the high point holders hard enough in the new elk plan give deer hunters a break.

This is the world we live in today, nobody wants to wait their turn they want to change the rules so everyone can win today because they're entitled. the whiney lame argument that it' not fair to young people is the worst one. the old guy with 40 points should give up his chances so a newbie gets a better shot? who gave up a tag for him? does he have another 40 years ? this whole game is getting stupid.
I guess I don't follow your logic... how does moving to a single point system make a guy with 40 points "give up his chance" at a tag?

Based on my conversations with the people who wrote the proposal the goal of it is to force guys to pick whether they want to wait for a higher quality hunt and hunt it less often or hunt with more frequent opportunity. It takes away the current situation in which you have multiple point systems that make it to where guys can have their cake and eat it too.

I don't hate the idea because that is what we all always hear... you have some guys that want to hunt more regularly and they don't care about quality and others that want higher quality even if it means hunting less often. This would force the hunter to choose instead of being able to do both. In my opinion is that it would take a couple of years to see where it lands, but points for the majority of hunts would be reduced because you actually will have less total applications (something like 25% based on the stats I saw) for deer each year and the same amount of tags.

I guess I don't follow your logic... how does moving to a single point system make a guy with 40 points "give up his chance" at a tag?

Based on my conversations with the people who wrote the proposal the goal of it is to force guys to pick whether they want to wait for a higher quality hunt and hunt it less often or hunt with more frequent opportunity. It takes away the current situation in which you have multiple point systems that make it to where guys can have their cake and eat it too.

I don't hate the idea because that is what we all always hear... you have some guys that want to hunt more regularly and they don't care about quality and others that want higher quality even if it means hunting less often. This would force the hunter to choose instead of being able to do both. In my opinion is that it would take a couple of years to see where it lands, but points for the majority of hunts would be reduced because you actually will have less total applications (something like 25% based on the stats I saw) for deer each year and the same amount of tags.
This is just another way to slice the “pie” in a different way. The pie will not be any bigger.

The people who would benefit from this the most are the ones who would exploit the change the fastest, then it would present new issues and someone else would dream up yet another way to slice the pie and it still wouldn’t be any bigger.

If They Do Change It & They Shouldn't!

But If They Do!

You Put In For One Hunt & One Hunt Only!

If You Draw,You Draw!

If You Don't Draw You Are Done!

None Of This 5 Choices BS!

If Niller Doesn't Draw His LE Buck Take With 37 Points,Tough Titty,He's Done!

And If He Tries To Draw An LE Deer Tag He Surrenders His LL For That Year! (If They Don't YANK Them!)

And He'll Think That's Not So Bad Until He Finds Out They YANK The LL's!

Gotta Get His BLOOD PRESSURE Up Where It Needs To Be!:D:D:D

I like the idea of combining everything. I think its absurd that you can get a general season hunting permit and accrue a bonus point during the same year. Waiting in 2 lines for the same species. One simple change they could make, which would solve much of the problem, would be to create a rule that prevents anyone from gaining a bonus point in a year when they get a general season tag. Go ahead and apply for whatever you want, but if you snag a general season tag you forfeit your bonus point that year. Unfortunately we all know the Wildlife Board loves point creep so I doubt such a change would happen.

Combine them! Long over due. Simplify the points DNR racketeering scheme. Also should let you roll worthless Mt lion points into some kind of usable points maybe 3 to 1 or some ratio to deer/elk/bear or even cow elk points anything. Complete bull shidt to have 16 years of cougar points. I’m sure Peaday and the WB have something up there merino base layer sleeves

Hey spj!

My Son Had Quite Few Lion Points As Well!

He Was Hoping To Maybe Get A Chance At A Big Tom!

But Like You Said!

TOTAL F'N BS!

I Just Can't Wait Till Some ASSSSHOLE Drags The AI BullSShit In To Hunting!

Combine them! Long over due. Simplify the points DNR racketeering scheme. Also should let you roll worthless Mt lion points into some kind of usable points maybe 3 to 1 or some ratio to deer/elk/bear or even cow elk points anything. Complete bull shidt to have 16 years of cougar points. I’m sure Peaday and the WB have something up there merino base layer sleeves

Hey spj!

My Son Had Quite Few Lion Points As Well!

He Was Hoping To Maybe Get A Chance At A Big Tom!

But Like You Said!

TOTAL F'N BS!

I Just Can't Wait Till Some ASSSSHOLE Drags The AI BullSShit In To Hunting!
Its complete horse shidt, filled a few Harvest objective tags over the years but always banked and applied for the trophy limited units prior to the big change in management with plans on some day putting down an old block head Tom. …Hope you’re wintering well out there in Gods country, there’s no place like the basin to celebrate Black History month.

Nailed it

I'm always confused as to what these changes hope to accomplish.
Is it the LE guys looking for an advantage or the GS guys?

Because that is all it is. How can I tweak the system to my advantage.

Keep reducing tags that will help a lot.

Yes all points in one bucket including OIL too then you can choose what you really want to hunt. Top point gets the tag by one and you get to keep the rest...ta that'll work.

When people say they want to combine points....which system are you going to combine? They are two very distinct systems. One being bonus points and the other are preference points. Preference point systems gives all the tags to the people with the most points. Bonus points in all intents just give you a better chance . Are you suggesting that the points are combined and turned to preference points or to bonus points? I for one have some preference points and they are much more valuable then bonus points when it comes to actually getting a tag.

I'm always confused as to what these changes hope to accomplish.
Is it the LE guys looking for an advantage or the GS guys?

Because that is all it is. How can I tweak the system to my advantage.

Keep reducing tags that will help a lot.
How about it's just a system that will simplify the game for everyone. All tags all seasons all weapons are on the same point system. No more do you get to do both. You have to decide if your first choice is a gen hunt or a LE hunt. Then from there the second choices are much more random and everyone has a chance.

It won't make any difference for elk, but for deer, there's not much difference between a Fishlake deer tag one on the Vernon, but now you'll have to choose. Makes the whole state way more consistent between perceived value and points required.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

That Ain't A Bad Idea!

But Are The Big Game Hunters Gonna Be Willing To Throw All Their Points Out The Window Like The Lion Hunters Did?

I Get A Feeling There'd Be Alot More Friction If They Tried That BS On The Big Game Hunters!

But Then Again If They Did End The Points System They Could Just Open It Up Un-Limited & Year Around!

You Know!

If You See It From January 1st Till December 31st/Anytime Throughout The Year Just Kill it!

That Should Fix Everything & Within A Year You Wouldn't Have Anything Left To Argue About!

How about it just goes to random draw for all tags?

I doubt the change. It would mean less revenue for the state. I think they will make the change so residents can apply for points in all species and all once in a lifetime and then point creep will be worse, but the state makes more revenue.

Now we really need a thread to get the lifetime license changed so they get a free application every year, but have to have the points to draw just like the rest of us!

I don't see a combining of our points happening. I see us getting our higher points only AND an increase in application fees going forward... If this is real of course. And I'm feeling "glass half empty" tonight 🙃

The one benefit I see to combining LE and general season into one system is that it forces people to put their money where their mouth is.

Are you REALLY a trophy hunter? Are you willing to not have a deer tag for 20+ years at all? I doubt so many folks on here that claim they want tag cuts and are willing to sit out are truly willing to sit out. But it would sure be nice to shut them up. It’s almost worth making this change just to shut them up.

The one benefit I see to combining LE and general season into one system is that it forces people to put their money where their mouth is.

Are you REALLY a trophy hunter? Are you willing to not have a deer tag for 20+ years at all? I doubt so many folks on here that claim they want tag cuts and are willing to sit out are truly willing to sit out. But it would sure be nice to shut them up. It’s almost worth making this change just to shut them up.
This is spot on. If @Vanilla is correct (I think he is) and most people truly aren't willing to wait, it will dramatically reduce points required for higher quality units. Points required for the General will also be reduced, on average, as the people who stay with high end units will not be applying.

I am ok with them combining deer points, but only if they do basically the same with elk. Put the spike and any bull hunts into the draw. Wouldn't be fair to people with deer points to make them burn a bunch of points to hunt a general hunt. While allowing people in the elk pool to continue to build elk points. Hunt spikes, and apply for deer.

GS deer and LE deer all one points pool. You have to pick and choose.

GS elk and LE elk all one points pool. You have to pick and choose.

Is this what everyone thinking? Also what about the 5 year waiting period would that be gone?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom