Points vrs Weighted Points

sled_guy

Probably been asked, but I can't find any info. When I check my points on the Co website I see 2 categories, Points and Weighted Points.

Can someone give me a quick explaination of those?

Thanks,
sled_guy

Sheep, goats, and moose are drawn using a weighted points system. After you have three preference points (three years of applying) you gain a weighted point each year you apply and are unsuccessful in the draw. Weighted points are very similar to bonus points. Tags are drawn using a lottery system and each weighted point increases your odds of drawing the tag.

True preference points are used for all other species. The person with the most preference points is given the tag.

In CO, for sheep, moose and goats, you will first get 3 preference points before you are put into the draw. After those first 3 points your points are then considered weighted points. I'll give the less complicated version of these. Everyone is assigned a random number for the draw that numbr is then scrambled and then divided by the number of weighted points you have, the person that ends up with the lowest number for that unit gets the tag. So someone with just the 3 preference points could still end up with a lower number than a guy with 10 weighted points. Clear as mud?

Ok, thanks... about as clear as Utah's system. :)

So if I'm applying for elk and deer it doesn't really matter to me?

sled_guy

One clarification to Marley's response. You can still be entered into the draw for sheep and goats without having the minimum 3 preference points. But it will only happen in the rare case when there're are no other applicants for that tag that have the minimum 3 preference points. This is a VERY rare chance, but I have seen it happen twice for goats. Fortunately for me, I was one of those two instances when I drew a NR goat tag last year with only 2 preference points. There were only two of us NR's that applied for that tag and the other applicant only had one pref point. As I said, it is VERY rare but can happen. I had been watching this particular hunt for a couple years, and monitored the application history and success rates, and had a suspicion going into the draw that this situation might actually happen, and it did.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-12 AT 03:22PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-12 AT 03:22?PM (MST)

I saw that in the stats the other day when I was looking at them. So how did you do on the goat hunt?

Senjo
I had a blast! My 15 year old son had an ibex hunt that opened the same weekend as my goat hunt. He harvested his ibex opening day so he got to spend the rest of the week hunting goats with me. This was his first backpack hunt. Although he is the one that initially spotted my goat, he had to fly back home the next day and I didn't get back to harvest the billy until after I had dropped him off at the airport in Colorado Springs. My billy was 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 and had great hair. I wish I could do it again!!!!

4345img_3848.jpg

4868img_3863.jpg

That's awesome, congratulations! I'm bound to pull a tag one of these days.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom