Posting Trophy Photos

AWHOLELOTTABULL

Long Time Member
With all of the competetiveness in the hunting world these days all of the assumptions that go along with killing trophy animals are really unfortunate. However, people like Kurt Darner and "others" have made it hard for the general public not to scrutinize these successes because it seems that they frequently have some sort of illegal twist to their stories somewhere down the road. It's unfortunate that we as a public feel the need assume that when someone posts a photo of a trophy animal that something is not quite right. It's really unfortunate and unfair to the proud hunter who, more likely than not, worked hard for that animal.

I remember, as I'm sure some of you do, those days when you had a trophy buck hanging from your basketball pole in the driveway and friends and family came over to see it and shoot the bull for hours. Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be (no maybes) but I don't think I ever remember anybody letting rumors fly that those people took those bucks illegally or with special circumstances like being able to hunt private ground, etc.

Last year my daughter and I shared a mule deer hunt in Wyoming with a couple of friends. We both shot bucks. Not big bucks by any means but bucks that I am as proud of today as I am for any of my other kills. I posted pictures of our hunt and had the usual friends extend their congratulations which were much appreciated by both myself and my daughter. Then came the PM's that said we must have been hunting private ground, and that because I was an outfitter I should have known better than to shoot that small buck. One even went as far as telling me that I should be ashamed of myself for letting my daughter shoot that little buck. It blew me away. I was extremely mad to say the least but most of all it broke my heart to think that there are people out there that like to hunt who can not enjoy a hunt without killing a monster. Not only can they not enjoy a hunt without killing a monster, but they tear down other peoples success. For that reason and that reason alone, I will never post another picture on a public forum of any animal I kill or any animal that my kids kill. I will send them out in an email to friends and family and that's it. I appreciate everything that Bryan does on this site and those that participate on an educational level. I enjoy reading your success stories and seeing your pictures. I have been hunting for over 25 years now and I continually pick up little things on this site that I have encorporated into my hunting skills. There are many on here that are truely sportsmen/women (I'm inlcuding you predator)and who hunt for the love of the sport and the enjoyment of being out there with their family. As the pictures start coming in from all of the successful hunters out there I would hope that we can all share a little excitement for them and congratulate them for the the hard work it took to take that animal.

It's always an adventure!!!

I'll congradulate You & Your Daughter once again AWLB!
Theres more to life than just Trophies!
Just remember to send me a pic or two!
And good luck!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

AWLB- That's a the main reason I don't like posting much of anything let alone pics on here anymore. You get few nice buck, good jobs, a so on. But then starts the smart a$$ remarks and "ass"umptions. It just gets really annoying. I say good on ya for having a hell of a fun hunt with your daughter! Congrats and I hope I'll get to experience that one day with my two boys and daughter!

Ya, you definitely have to be able to take some critisizm, not just to post photos or video on the Internet, but to post anything. There are ALWAYS going to be people who have different views on things. Plus, there are always a lot of people out there who just want to represent a different view, just for excitement. Some just like to get things going. That's the world we live in.

I personally just shake my head, usually say a few words about the idiot, then move on. I like sharing my photos and video, regardless what anyone says or thinks. If it's not big enough for them, so be it, if it's too ugly, so be it, if I wasn't dressed right, so be it.

I hate to see people scared off from sharing their photos because they can't take a few comments from idiots on the Internet, that (in most cases) you don't even know! Seems a little strange to me. But I'm also the type of person who doesn't strive to impress people and I'm not looking for their acceptance.

I like posting the photos and video cause it's fun. I'm surprised I haven't been called a dork with the webcasts I share. But even if I were, it just isn't going to effect me much.

Critisizm from people I know and respect, goes far and means something. BUT, critisizm from people I don't know, except from a few posts on the Internet, are meaningless. You know, some of the people who use this site, could be real morons. You really want to let a moron with a big mouth from behind a computer screen dictate what you do????

Take Foreman4x4 for example. He would love to get me to stop what I enjoy, that is hunting big deer. He uses tactics like saying I have to kill big deer to be in magazines and on the Internet. What if I folded to that moron? Would I feel good about myself if I quit hunting big bucks cause of him. Or even quit posting the photos cause of him. Why would I ever care what he thinks? My guess is if I met him in person someday, I would be thinking, "this guy IS an idiot", not a wise fella who is steering me in the right direction.
It's no different for you guys and anyone who shares their comments to you. They're probably idiots who you shouldn't be worried about their acceptance.

Good luck with it. Sorry the people of the world can't all just love each other. It'd be boring if that were the case though.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I hope that you don't think I am folding to anyone Brian. For those that know me well, know that I don't fold to anyone. I understand that people will be idiots. I work in a profession where we see a lot of idiocy. You really can't get away from it. I am old enough to not worry too much about what someone thinks of me or the way I do things. However, I am a Dad and extremely protective of my girls. I do take exception to things said about them. I know that the pictures and stories are really the basis of this site and I am in no way trying to undermine things. I would hope that my post didn't portray that type of message. Obviously I like this site and feel that you do a great job at providing entertainment as well as a venue to obtain some sought after knowledge. I guess if I do post another photo it will only be to support you and the service you provide.

Bull I know several people who will not post pictures for the very reasons you stated. Kind of to bad, I enjoyed the pictures from your daughters deer last year and the story to. I am still impressed she gutted it ! Good for her !! Money can't buy a trophy like hers and size goes out the window in my opinion. The real satisfaction comes from the trip and memories made. Last year in Wyoming I came home empty handed after the first week, and later went back to get my buck. The first week up there was one of the best times I had ever experienced hunting.

Brian, YOU ARE at total dork on the webcasts! :7 And, I'm an even bigger dork!

Seriously, I'm digging your vids and hunt adventures.

I look forward to the AWLB whitetail/turkey/lope/deer threads that are full of photos and commentary.

Sureshot, alwasy comes through with a great photo thread each year.

BCBOY, rocks it from the north.

Midnight's hunt adventure is as entertaining as they come.

You kinda put your self out there when you post up photos/vids accompanied with your own words/thoughts. But you know what, its personality! Its real! I'd rather check out one straight up photo or story post than a thousand of the bullsh*t behind the monitor drivel posts.

Please don't stop Jim!

I was brought to this site by post like yours an many here. I've learned much and have been inspired by many. I try to return the favor and share some of my experiences. For the most part I belive most people appreciate it. For the handful of dicks, piss on em!

And for the idiot who felt it neccessary to send me a TWO FREAKING PAGE email sermon on why I was in the wrong for not telling you where I went in the Wind Rivers a couple weeks ago, well piss on you too!

I just don't get their mentality, but I don't care and I'll keep on sharing.

>Take Foreman4x4 for example. He would
>love to get me to
>stop what I enjoy, that
>is hunting big deer...

>he thinks? My guess is
>if I met him in
>person someday, I would be
>thinking, "this guy IS an
>idiot", not a wise fella
>who is steering me in
>the right direction.

Nothing like keepin' it classy Founder.

pm's telling you it was small? I bet you got a laugh out of that, most morons like that wouldn't recognize a big critter on the hoof if it came up and gored them in the ass.

I kind of feel the same way as Jim here. I am in NO WAY as experienced or have the resources and time to hunt like some here, but I love to take pics and vids and share with friends. I used to update my hunting blog and with a LE elk tag in my pocket was going to do a hunt adventure thread as well. But with the growing popularity of this site, and the demise of the stupid Utah DWR forum, this place gets more than 1000 boxes hitting it per day. The last time I posted a hunting pic I had several people get mad and others tell me EXACTLY where I was and more asking where it was. That and there are a lot of A-HOLES here too. With a hunt adventure thread I would be broadcasting all my work to the world, and I kind of want to protect that....5 years ago, no problem.

In a few weeks I will be sending 10 days chasing big bulls with a smokepole, and I really don't think I will be posting much about it. It is enough for me at this point to share things with friends and family, but I still enjoy MM and will continue posting about everything else....or I will be excited and post 10 pics, who knows........

If you pulled the trigger or let an arrow fly at it male/female then its a trophy to you! Why let someone tell you its not?

The only pictures I've seen that remotely deserve any bad remarks are the ones people try to photoshop and cover it, or if your buddy is smoking pot in the background.

Don't be shy to share your stories and pictures! I get nasty emails and pm's, most recent being letting my wife hunt by herself. Why can't she?

This is a great site that I spend a lot of time around. I love seeing the huge grin behind a spike buck as much as seeing a 240 nontypical buck. As well as reading the stories that go with them. Post em up! Don't be shy!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Please lets not let the average joe stop posting stories and photos. The few guys out there shooting monsters, its great hearing those stories and learning from them. We hope for that LE tag and our turn at a big one. Whatever that might be. A big one to some maybe be small to others.
When my daughter shot her first little two point. I was a proud father. It even brought tears to my eyes. Seeing how nervious she got and sharing that experience with her is whats it all about.
I guess what I am saying is whats the trophy?
The general season hunts,cow hunts ,spike hunts are great time spend with family and friends. We all will have more of these hunt then trophy LE hunts. But when the time comes for me to finaly draw that bision hunt. My family and friends will be there to help.
I think thats what this site is about ,bring us togther that have come interest.
I meet and enjoying hear your post and have meet some nice people here and I hope that to continue.

As long as we're venting about where we've been and where we're headed I'll pipe off too.

Way too many hunters have lost sight of the romance of the hunt. The "tape" will tell them if they had a good hunt and their happiness DEPENDS ON WHAT THE TAPE READS.

I too have daughters and they all hunt. They enjoy big animals but they might want to pop a 2pt for the FUN of the hunt.

It's sad when people make negative comments about the size of their animals. We've all heard them "whad ja shoot that lil thang for?" etc.

I've been blessed to hunt in many places throughout the world and kill some of the biggest, coolest animals on the planet! This year when you swing past my camp (with my wife, son and DAUGHTERS) you might just see a few small bucks hanging from the pole which we killed because we love to hunt and love family and love to harvest and love to eat them!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell, I might shoot the first 2pt I see just so I can take it easy on a hunt and enjoy my family!

With over 40 years of big game hunting I've seen some changes that make me wish I could go back to the times when people would drop by my house to look at the buck hanging in my apple tree in the front yard! And shoot the bull for an hour!

Zeke

Thanks for the replies fellas! Sometimes all you need are a few eye opening words to snap you out of that "pitty" mode. I guess if one person gets something out of your posts and photos then it's worth it. I get too caught up sometimes in the negative comments and need to look past them. There are far more great posts on here than bad ones so again, thanks. Looking forward to the stories and photos from all.

Jim...thanks for a GREAT post! I have had a LOT of the same feelings lately as there is just TOO much crap that is said about every single picture that is posted. There are some real jerks that frequent this site.......BUT....there are way more great guys and girls that post here.

I have had the opportunity to meet quite a few over the last few years and I have learned a LOT from a lot of you. I think it is very unfortunate that people feel a need to knock others down. Someone said earlier in the thread that the animal is a trophy to YOU if you think it is....that is all that matters!
Me, being the father of two young girls...very much look forward to the stories of you and your girls Jim..and think of how it can be with my little girls in the future. I hope that if you do decide not to show the pictures here that I will still be on that email list.

I think if we ignore the trouble makers around here....they will eventually go away!!! They are only here to get a reaction from us and to see how big of a ruckus they can make. I for one hope that people will continue to share...I LOVE the "true" hunting stories and look forward to them every year!!

3 more weeks and Hopefully I will have some more pics and stories to share!!

Jim - A good post and some really great replies. But, I think people like me are to blame for letting a few jerks ruin your happiness. I've been coming to MM every day where I had access to a computer, which is most of the time, for probably 10-12 years. As you can see I haven't posted very much in that time, because I figured people on this site don't know who I am and could care less about my opinion. So, I enjoy your stories and pics, but haven't let you or anyone else know. I apologize for that! If you look at pics of children with their trophies, compared to pics of adults with their trophies, the kids always have a bigger brighter smile and a special gleam in their eyes than the adults. And if the proud papa or mama is in the pic, they're smiling and gleaming too! Those pics are priceless. So Jim and others, please don't let the few jerks on this site, who hide behind their keyboards, ruin the happiness and pride you are willing to share with the silent majority. Thanks for sharing your hunt and photos with us. I appreciated and enjoyed them.

Greg

Best to ignore the naysayers. As for the coward that felt the need to privately criticize a public post: not worth the time to tap a key in response.

I hunted what I could last year. A few days here and there during the season. Saw 28 bucks, a couple of really nice ones. Things didn't quite come together on the bigger ones. Evening of my last day I went ahead and shot a two point. We like the meat.

Trophy is a subjective term. I trophy hunted most of the season last year. The evening of the last day I made the call to be just a meat hunter. I won't apologize to anyone for it.

The world is full of narcissists who feel entitled to a world that operates just the way they want it and who won't tolerate ideas and behaviors different than theirs. As the metaphor goes, dealing with them is like wrestling with a pig. The pig just gets annoyed and you end up covered in crap. Ignore them and post what you will.

Over the years, I've had many an encounter with a$$holes on this site and others. I've always found the best way to shut them up is by posting even more pics. :) Attacks on me is pretty much a given since I am one of those cocky little buggers that likes to stir the pot myself. But I totally understand the "dad" feeling and have experienced those kind of attacks as well, especially when my then 12 year old son killed his mountain goat. On a BC forum they tried to tear me to pieces because my son killed a nanny (which is totally legal as the Limited Entry is for "ANY GOAT"). I've thought long and hard about the whole concept of posting my family hunting pics and this is what I've come up with. Hunters are a dying breed, and with the modern age of video games and such, far far too many dads ain't taking their kids hunting anymore. I think a lot of guys my age are actually just plain selfish and the kids get in the way of the so-called trophy hunt. My goal is to change the way dads think about hunting and to remember how most of them actually grew up, being taken out by a dad or a grandpa. If we are ever going to get hunter numbers back up, we need to see way more dads stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing by getting their kids involved in the outdoors. Sharing family pics be it success or just them out enjoying the bush, might just inspire other dads to try it too. I've been known as one of those muley nuts that gets er done on a regular basis when it comes to trophy deer, but have you noticed someting in the last few years. My personal hunting has taken a backseat to my family's hunting. Watching them hunt is far more fullfilling than killing a dink 200 incher.
Other than that, I've been posting pics for so long here on MM that some regulars here feel like family too. I recall Browtine posting once that he has literally seen my kids grow up here on MM.

I posted some photos of my kids on here with "their" trophies. I guess I was fortunate that no one sent me any emails or posted anything on MM that degraded what I posted. My kids are now adults and I still know that any animal that they decide to harvest will still be a trophy to them and to me. I spent many hours with them, helping them on their hunts that I took a back seat to my hunts. I'm so glad I did that while they were young because those are memories (with pictures) that I can never replace. I really enjoy looking at the success pics of our youth and it doesn't matter what that pic is of. When you see a kids smile on the pic you know it was worth everything to them, you and I. It's too bad there are some who just can't see what real success is to a kid and a Dad. Thanks to everyone for posting your pics of your kids success!!

Smokepole

Its a shame to feel that you or anyone have to feel that way. I shot a little 14" 3x3 last year on the last day in WY for the simple fact that I don't eat tags....especially when I've got about 2800 miles wrapped up in the trip. I posted up pictures and never heard one negative comment. I didn't hear a lot of positive comments either but that was fine with me. Those that know me were happy that I filled my tag. We just weren't seeing any bigger deer. I say screw those that try to press their will on others. One of my finest hunting moments was having a spike fork come into me at 5 yards while bow hunting. It was an incredible sequence and even though I never shot that buck, it was such an awesome experience. Some think that because it was a spike/fork that it is no big deal. It was to me. Bull- I hope you don't stop posting pics due to a few that feel the need to talk down. Simply ignore them and be proud of your accomplishments.

Steve
T&A Inspector

Jim you are a good man! And what you say has a lot of merit. I killed a bull of a lifetime last year and didn't want to post the pics because I didn't want to take the grief. Plus there were other hunters after the same bull and who knows what kind of stories could have made up about the hunt. I wish people would just have respect for others and quit acting like they have something to prove by the inches of antler they bring home. The truth is I have had as much fun watching an inexperienced hunter get that first cow elk as I have killing a big animal myself. Or taking a smaller buck with my little boy sitting next to me and seeing the smile on his face when he says "we" got a deer. That is what it is all about to me, so to all who want to tear others down I say piss off. Thanks for your post and gook luck on the hunts.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom