preference points where to use them

seeleymt

I have the following pre points totals as a non resident looking to use next year would be looking for a guided hunt 13 deer , 19 elk, what would you do if you had them getting to old to keep building point?

Can?t help with the deer @ 13 but I am in the exact same spot with elk. I think unit 76 or maybe a later rifle season in 61 is in reach or nearly so for elk. Could be wrong about that but those are at least close so you can start planning. 76 may be a rougher hunt from what I've read but guided will smooth that out as far as the logistics of getting up in there and back goes.

Looked at 61 only a later rifle possible not sure if that works. Looked at 76 could draw a muzzleloader tag or first rifle would need to use a guide in that unit. Also looked at 20 and a muzzleloader draw for unit 40.About the only units I came up with worth the points, need to get out of this game.

I think you're a couple years away from a 61 elk tag. It took me 20 this year and most with 20 didn't draw so that means 21 next year and so on it goes.

I think you're looking at a 76 muzzy or rifle hunt and you'll need a guide or some equipment to get in there. I'd say draw it and go hunt. You'll never catch the guys in front of you in the points game.

as a non resident last july I was in Creede Co. Where I live i'm at 800 ft ele. In the 20yrs headed west this was the 1st time I had to take my time walking "sucking air". I was around 11000 ft. when I stopped at Freemans ranch, Star said they like to see hunters show up 3 days in advance, hope this helps

I was in same boat last year. I'm 58 years old and I was never going to draw unit 2,10 or 201 so I dumped 18 points on unit 40,4th season. I seen a lot of bulls in the 300 to 330 class but I was looking for something bigger.So after the 5 day hunt I went home with tag soup.All the bigger bulls stayed up high on the private. I seen some awesome bulls in past years,but last year they didn't get any snow to push them down.But that's why they call it hunting and not killing.Good luck on what ever you decide.

Did you use a guide or hunt on your own? Would be happy with such a bull just need to get out the the points game if possible next year

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom