Primitive Weapons

Aceman

I have been noticing all the big bucks and bulls being harvested during primitive hunting seasons. It is amazing what technology has done to our way of hunting. Remembering back when those seasons were established, muzzleloaders were flintlock or cap and ball and bows were longbows or recurves. Now with inline muzzleloaders harvesting animals at 220+ yards and compound bows at 50+ yards - oh well - those seasons were set to make a more level playing field for primitive hunters - heck I don't usually shoot my rifle over 200 yards to fill my tag. It is amazing how our way of hunting continues to change. I am not against primitive hunting but I have to wonder do we need to redefine what primitive means. Just another brick in the wall

There is a subjective call as to what is primitive or not. Advancement in technology opens the field to more people as the technology allows for some latitude in degree of skill and limitation of the equipment itself. I bowhunt a little (time limits) and rifle hunt. I started out with a compound and then switched to recurves and longbows for two decades for a greater challenge. Now back to the compound as I can't commit to the degree of practice the former require.

When I hear of people killing animals with a bow at 60 or 80 yards, my first thought is usually, "Well, why even bowhunt then." Then I realize it is just their season of choice. I killed a deer four years ago at 425 yards, the outside limits of my skill level. Shot one in his bed at 30 yards yesterday. Same rifle.

To each their own.

Aceman, I agree with you. It's gotten out of hand on many levels.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-15 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]>I have been noticing all the
>big bucks and bulls being
>harvested during primitive hunting seasons.
> It is amazing
>what technology has done to
>our way of hunting.
> Remembering back when those
>seasons were established, muzzleloaders were
>flintlock or cap and ball
>and bows were longbows or
>recurves. Now with
>inline muzzleloaders harvesting animals at
>220+ yards and compound bows
>at 50+ yards - oh
>well - those seasons were
>set to make a more
>level playing field for primitive
>hunters - heck I don't
>usually shoot my rifle over
>200 yards to fill my
>tag. It is amazing
>how our way of hunting
>continues to change.
>I am not against primitive
>hunting but I have to
>wonder do we need to
>redefine what primitive means.
>Just another brick in the
>wall

Would you consider this rifle to be "primitive"?

HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

Yes - I would say that is primitive - from what I remember, that is what the weapons were when the season was established. BUT - it all is probably a mute point as technology has advanced in the rifle seasons to where they are shooting up to 1000 + yards. Not sure now why I posted this - it is what it is

Well might as well add the long range shooters for general rifle season to.

I shoot compound and recurve but I don't big game hunt with the recurve cause I suck and would end of wounding an animal bad. so that's my excuse for the archery department.

I don't think any form of hunting is really primitive anymore with all the advancing technology. The caveman would thumb his nose at a flintlock, the pioneer would kill to ride our razor across the Rockies and the Indian using smoke signals would laugh at our I Phones and gps. But I agree, it's all gotten too advanced.

Yes, it is what it is but it doesn't mean that we have to forget the past. When I first started archery hunting compound bows hadn't even been "invented". Before that we had deer season. It lasted about a month and you could use any weapon you wanted to.

Life seemed slower and simpler and more relaxed back then. And there were lots of deer. If I could go back I would.

Eel

Guns are like parachutes. If you need one and don't have one you probably will never need one again.

I hear ya, my dad is in his 80's and tells stories of being one of very few groups with Willys jeeps and power wagons to get on the mountain on snowy years because most didn't even have 4wd, and the herds of deer and the Bucks we call big now days that they wouldn't even take a second look at. Some say these ARE the good old days but when he tells stories of how it used to be, I would disagree

>Yes - I would say that
>is primitive - from what
>I remember, that is what
>the weapons were when the
>season was established.
>BUT - it all is
>probably a mute point as
>technology has advanced in the
>rifle seasons to where they
>are shooting up to 1000
>+ yards. Not
>sure now why I posted
>this - it is what
>it is

The reason I ask is this gun does indeed meet the description for a primitive arm. The gun has a stainless steel barrel. It is a fast twist rifling. It has an adjustable peep sight. The load is 80 grains of loose pyrodex P. The bullet is a paper patched 409 gr bullet. Everything that is on or in that gun was technology from 1864. I can shoot mil jugs at 300 yards with that gun. I have a self imposed limit of no more than 150 yards for my first shot. If the animal is still on it's feet ( hasn't happened yet) but if I had an animal still on it's feet I have the ability and the gun has the capability to connect at long range.
This gun far surpasses most inlines that are Idaho Legal.

Yea back n the day,lots of snow,a 4x4 was a good deal back n the 70s.. though my dad didn't have one,few hunters ,, n a good mule country. seems every other camp had a deer hanging , my dad had a old recurve..hit them good.pictures tell

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom