Pro VS Con Shed Hunting

T

thebroker

I was just wondering how many pro shed hunters vs anti shed hunters who would be willing to voice there opinion here
I am Anti shed hunting I believe that the animals are pushed eneough during the hunting seasons and deserve time away from people dogs atv's horses vehicles .. I also believe that the dropping of antlers is a natural resorces for the enviroment and add a natural beauty for nature. as well, there are other animals that need the minerals for there nutrition and survival . I would hate to have all my salt picked up off the store shelfs. Also the comercialization of the antler industry is beyond controll, and in my opinion is hurting the animals that are providing it. I say stop the shed hunting untill the fall, during the hunts and only go untill the last day of the hunt ( Yes a shed hunting season Sept to January) or none at all
Any other opinions

Persistent aren't you?

nnl.gif

GO HEELS!

its marco's fault...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Done correctly, shed hunting doesn't bother the animals or the habitat. There is no way the F&G could afford to patrol everywhere all year long to prevent people from picking up a few antlers while they're out hiking and legally exploring the outdoors. I believe in obeying the law, but when a law is created that turns someone into a criminal for doing something that used to be perfectly legal, they just get better at not getting caught.

I have already been labelled as a "criminal" because I have broken stupid laws in the past - so are you. I'm sure I'll inadvertently break a few laws in the future as well - so will you. It's unavoidable in this overly restrictive society we live in.

Stupid, irrational, un-enforcable, and useless laws don't apply to criminals......criminals don't obey laws.

Do you remember when the United States of America was called "the land of the free"? Now it is illegal to be free in America............unless you are willing to break the law.

Criminals are the only truely free people in America now, and even a criminals freedoms will be taken away if they don't fight to keep them.

Or you could just keep a low profile and go on being free and hope you don't get caught.

Wow that vid makes the blood boil. Is that Timothy Treadwell reincarnated? Dude sounds just as femmy and every bit as stupid.

I'm an avid shedhunter and dine correctly and with the consideration of the animals in mind, I am certainly all for it. It's the disrespect of few that ruins the name of many.

What? You want everybody out in the woods at the same time? People huntin' critters don't really need people huntin' what critters have shed out in the woods screwing up their hunt.

heres my opinion, lets just do away with hunting. no seasons i mean there are just to many guys out there shooting animals in spotlights. so what if the majority of "hunters" are doing things the right way, lets just stop hunting all together! i've been shed hunting for most of my life, i have yet to see an animal fall dead from me hiking my butt off picking up some horn. but i have seen animals fall prey to illegal hunting. besides i'd rather pick up the sheds than shoot the animal. seems broker we should be pissed at you guys for shooting the animals we like to collect the sheds off of! shed huntings not a bad thing, we have a few that dont care about the laws or rules, but so do you one season hunters.

" i've been shed hunting for most of my life, i have yet to see an animal fall dead from me hiking my butt off picking up some horn. "
IF you are shed hunting while there is alot of snow on the ground then I totally Disagree with you! and that is the dumbest comment I have ever heard! Of course you dont see them fall dead! They burn up there energy wading through the snow trying to get away. then after they use all there energy to get away they dont have enough energy to dig through the snow to find feed. so they sit there trying to recover, only getting weaker because there too tired to get up. Now, If you are waiting till the snow melts, and the deer have moved off the wintering grounds, then I can see your point and animals wont fall dead from you hiking your butt off.

I love shed hunting, and I probably spend more time then most people do out in the hills picking up sheds. If people are doing it while there is alot of snow and the animals are still in there wintering grounds then I would Love to run you over with my snowmobile just like I do with Coyotes! Nothing pisses me off more than watching some JackA$$ pushing the animals around on the wintering grounds so he can find some bone.

kind of funny i walk hundreds of miles a year. WALK. i've used wheelers before but now in az where i have been shed hunting for 16 17 years the elk dont even migrate any more, even with 3 feet of snow. i hiked in there for over 10 years and the elk always returned to their winter range. now every one beats the crap out of the winter range on wheelers so damn hard the elk feel safer in 3+ feet of snow than they do down where there's none. i dont use machines to hunt horn any more. very disrespectful to you me the wildlife and everyone else that loves the outdoors. and yes i've bumped into animals and they do go a couple ridges over. i dont havent and never will chase any animal! now you want to chase animals around on your snow mobile? good job hunter! even a coyote deserves more respect than that. and yes i love to hunt, no peta s*** here.

now i will add this to my last post, shed hunting is becoming more and more popular, i used to know most of the people that showed up every year. we still camp hang out and bs with each other every year. its fun its the reason i drive 1000 miles one way back to my home state of az every year. but we need to start thinking about the future of this sport. now there are hundreds of guys showing up every year. funny thing is that more guys from az ride all over hell, not the guys from utah. everyone these days thinks that their rights are more important than anyone else's, no one thinks about whats best for the sport!

In my opinion broker your view on the situation is a joke You have got to be kidding me. How many browny's are in your pile?

Thats a joke! When my kids, 10 and 7 years old, go shed hunting with me it is the best feeling ever. We are very respectful two the critters and the woods. You have got to be kidding me. Just because you dont like going shed hunting dosnt mean you have to say that crap. TREEHUGGER!!!!

Just an opinion. Would you have somewhat of a educated opinion to share, or even the ability. now come on reply with some thought state your case for you and all shed hunters

I am not as much against shed hunting as I am the time of year it takes place. awsome to get the kids out there.there is nothing better . but shouldn't we stay off the south slopes the bedding and feeding area,s at least untill after the fawns and calfs drop . I am sure no woman out there would want to be chased and ran around just before giving birth

reguardless of what the sport is or what people want to do your always going to have people for or against because of the jack@$$ people out there. Horn hunting when done right has little to no effect on the enviroment and the other animals dont need the nutrition and the minerals from them there are plenty of other sources of "nutrients and minerals" out there for them. all the winter/cougar/coyote kill deer carcasse bones hold 10 times the amount of bone as one shed does (after all sheds are bones)and everytime i go out i find bones that they arent cleaning up. they are fine. deer hunting has way more people out there and shed hunting does. you ever been elk hunting top of strawberry opening morning. those animals are running around with their tounges haning out running a marathon.... so your thinking throw all the deer hunters.. and all the shed hunters out there at the same time? WTF thats the most dumb uneduacated thing i have ever heard of. it all needs balance and to be done right. but no matter what you or i do there is always going to be someone out there to keep someone else b!t<hing and moaning about someone not doing something right... i would rather go shed hunting and let the animal live to continue to give me sheds but i know hunting is balances the population. isnt the animal that sheds the antler a better beauty than the shed its self? but i have nothing against hunting and i do hunt... just prefer shed hunting to hunting.

First off, I would love to beat the crap out of the dude on the snowmobile. What a TOOL! Some people really do have chit for brains.

Broker; you mentioned a Sept to Jan shed season. So that would mean shed hunters would still potentially push the deer around during Nov, Dec, and Jan on their winter ranges. How does that help?
And who the hell shed hunts while the does are birthing in June? Feb to April is my season.

I'm not sure what your agenda is. For me, I get just as much satisfaction, if not more by picking up sheds off a big buck than killing one. It's incredible to watch the same buck grow, or regress, year after year.

well i agree that the animals are getting pushed to much. But that is not the peoples fault who are looking for sheds. it is the states responcibility to limit our travels. Second a shed season that starts in semptember is not reasonable for the fact that it climates such as Idaho, some witer ranges are covered in snow by sometime in November if not earlier and deer are in there winter ranges by those times in some areas.
Your shed season could start in may or june, usually by that time animals are migrating back up and are in there summer ranges where food is becoming regularly available.
No shed season at all is not an option, have fun getting that past in congress. How are you going to fund the the shed hunting patrol on every major wintering range in the west or where ever. Economic times are hard enough and most states do no have the funding to keep wildlife herds healthy. There are bigger issues to be looked at than shed hunting but in areas it does need to be looked on as a bigger precaution.

shed huntnig is not a bad thing!. its just the disrespectful people that chase the deer and elk around and trestpass that ruin it all for the rest of us.

I agree in a season there are no pro's to shed hunting, unless your the guy picking up the sheds, and the con's can be listed forever, but as long as people need something to do it sure as hell beats cooking meth

gayest idea i ever heard. how will you ever know when someone is out on a hike and someone is shed hunting? Here is a better idea... why dont you figure out a way to stop the construction of buildings in wildlife feeding areas... Make more feed. Make more deer. More antlers!

Shed hunting to me, is the best hobbie I have ever had. There is absolutly NOTHING wrong with hunting horns! Nothing! It is educational not only for myself but for my kids. It gives you an incredible feeling everytime you see a deer tine sticking up from behind some brush... Or a monster bull set laying in the next canyon over. It builds strength and stamina, it mkes healthy people. I have been hunting, fishing and searching for shed antlers since before I can remember. There is less deer now than when I was young, but that is not the sportsmans fault. It is only because there is way more @$$ holes now. IF you are running deer in 1+ feet of snow to get to a shed antler you are not a shedhunter! You are an idiot. If you hang a 200 class buck on your wall that you shot on a winter range when no one was looking, your not a hunter! your an idiot!! I am so sick of people thinking they are cool by making @$$es out of themselfs. It all comes down to one thing your Dad, Grandpa, Or whoever should have tought you when you were YOUNG... R E S P E C T.... RESPECT, its easy to say but for some it sure is hard to do. SO DO IT RIGHT... KEEP IT ALIVE! Cause if it ever becomes illegal you can bet your @$$ I'll be in Jail!

give your self a break and stop barking up the wrong tree. this is a hunting website and we enjoy antlers and our rights to hunt and bear arms.we are fully aware of the fact that animals shouldnt be pushed while gathering up antlers.if you think every antler gets gathered up every year they dont. there are plenty of antlers for you to look at and for the rodents to eat!

I love shed hunting, great time with the whole family. But we never go until June. I see to many pushing the animal's around when they don't need the pressure.

I'm relatively new at shed hunting, but I love just hiking "out where the animals roam" and I try to observe them as much as I can from afar with optics. However, it usually occurs that I flush some relatively close; and when I do I try to discreetly avoid chasing them. Almost all the sheds I have collected or happened upon while doing these hikes. For me burning calories on a 4 to 5 hour hike doing this is more fun than an aerobic workout on a treadmill or at a gym. I know most of the animals are just now emerging from the rigors of winter survival, so as much as possible, if I "spook" or startle them, I try my best to reverse direction away from them. Typical for me, the other day, I hiked for 3 hours, saw over 100 deer, one with antlers. As I was almost back to my vehicle, and after at least 45 minutes of no observation, I happened upon a very small 4x3 set of brown antlers. Finding these was just icing on the cake of a very rewarding time in the woods- and I don't feel that it was much to take from the environment. Most of the places I choose to hike are away from trails, or vehicle or foot traffic anyway.
I also get opportunities to see coyotes, eagles or hawks, elk, deer, rabbits, ground squirrels, and wild horses.

negligent a holes who think that there needs to be more laws to limit us because some people are dumb really bothers me!!! hypocritical ignorant people who say shed hunting is bad are probably the ones driving in their trucks, atvs, and snowmobiles watching the deer from the road throwing out their trash and driving off trail complaining about shed hunters because they are too f ing fat to get off of their lazy ace and hike a little.

People who actually know, love, and respect the outdoors will give the deer a chance and back off a little while the deer are vulnerable. they will hunt with respect and care for the outdoors and the animals who inhabit it. I leave tomorrow to backpack into a spot where i know the deer have been but they follow the snow line and ill be below that to pick up what they leave behind. I am an avid outdoorsman and any excuse to get out and explore the land that i risk my life to defend, i will take it!!!

i think shed hunting is great fun.
i think brokers and speculators should be banned
they artificially inflate the economy of the US and cost us billions
let the laws of supply and demand dictate
as long as there is a supply they will be in demand.
i don't like regulations so lets stop them instead of freedom.

Been looking for arrowheads and sheds for forty years, at least the sheds are getting replaced every year! Just remember, don't bag on fellow hunters,just cause it's not what you do. Save your hostility for the anti's, were all on the same team here. Thanks, Brownie.

sound like enviromentalist words to me!
have fun regulating a shed hunting season. i hate the fact that they require you to take a stupid uninformative test and require you to carry a certificate while shed hunting, that i am sure they will soon try to charge for.

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

thebroker If I saw you in person I'd kick you square in the nuts!!Tthats the most ignorant opinion of shed hunting I have heard. Like said above when it done correctley it causes no harm,,, Post something like that on Myspace or Facebook or where ever you came from. But keep off here with crap like that

I think we should ban hunting. We don't need the animals we chase around looking for sheds getting extra pressure from people trying to kill them.

Excellent Idea! It seems every time I'm out hunting there is always some wonderful person honking their horn and showing short little finger and heading towards that beautiful house they just built to give me that extra tag. Oh how cute how we can feed and tame those wild deer in our back yard.DAHHHHHHHH Hello! Ignorant s is not bliss."THE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO LIVE IT!"

hornhunter247 & ShedHunter1 are right on the money.....I do believe this Anti talk very dangerous for our sport, I'd break a law if I ran into this idiot in the woods for starting this thread under this forum!! U are a genuine ignorant treehuggin sissyfied greeny weenie who probly don't know the first thing about what being a Hunter, sportsmen, outdoorsman and stuard of the land and animals is all about. Our god given right, duty, and gift from god.....Don't you dare try and make that liberal crap try and fly on a hunting website, that's the most retarded thing I've read on any hunting site anywhere.

The only ones who push or chase the animals are the idiots going cross country in motor vehicles....Not the real sportsman who respect , and use our public resources and OUR public lands with care and consideration. We as Hunters also finance the gov. orgs that monitor and conserve our resources and enforce laws that keep cityfied greenies from destroying the forest when they go " camping" once a year.. This topic should be nuked, IMO....this idiots topic has no place under the shed hunters forum...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom