Processor Issue????

LKHTR

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-14 AT 02:41PM (MST)[p]A common complaint is the processor shorted you on your meat and in most cases you probably were not, but I want to pass along some information that may make you think twice about using South West in Chandler / Mesa.

A friend provided them with four quarters of an elk skinned / quartered and very clean of dirt and hair. Also provided was a game bag with several pounds of loose meat. All total, SW weighed in 265#.

Since the end product received was only two boxes, my friend asked them to weigh it before he left and the weight came to a whopping, 104#'s. Of course the mgr is not available and the delivery guy is just the messenger so it took two calls to SW to answer why so little end product was delivered. Thee response was their "policy" is to trim at least 1/2" off of all meat to ensure it is clean before processing so a lot of meat is lost during the trim process. Whoa, really?

I use a different processor and while picking up my deer meat the other day I told them I had an elk tag and asked if I brought in 265#'s of skinned quarters along with a bag of loose meat, approximately how much meat should I get back after processing.

Their answer was 180 - 200.

I'm sure there are many on this site that have used SW and are very pleased with their service and will continue to use them, but know that if SW's statement about triming meat is true, you're losing and paying for, a lot of hard to come by meat. At a mimimum you may want to ask how much meat you should get back before giving it to them so you know what to expect and what your real cost per pound will be when all is said and done.

You can develop your own opinion, but I will never use them. Prime elk meat is hard to come by to let someone leave half or more on the trim floor and then to add insult to injury, charge me for what they throw away is unbelievable.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-14 AT 07:31PM (MST)[p]I of the many reasons I process my own. I will bring in clean, trimmed, pieces to grind into summer sausage. Tuff to get less back in that scenario as its weighed b4 i leave.It's always funny to hear em ooh and ahh over "clean" meat. They say they get some stuff that a good dog would turn from.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom